Games Crashing

togan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
This is a problem a friend of mine is having with his new Graphics Card.

SPECS:

CPU: AMD Phenom ii 955 x4
CPU Fan: Corsair H60
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
RAM: 4 x 2gb OCZ Gold DDR3
PSU: Corsair GS600
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
Previous Card: GeForce 9400gt 1gb *UPGRADE (GTX570)

He had no problems running the 9400gt,but now with GTX570 installed he is having
all sorts of stability issues. I thought his PSU is not up to snuff,do you guys agree...
I already recommended upgrading to SEASONIC Xseries 560-760w and see if that fixes
problem.

Any input is appreciated.

Solution
So i was able to use my friends computer to figure out the problem and came to the conclusion that the two PCI 6 pin slots on the graphics slot are the problem. I connected his Silent Pro 850w to my computer and received the artifacts from the beginning.

Thinking that it might be my motherboard, i connected my card to his motherboard (Z77 Sabertooth) with my own power supply and it produced the same results. Then i used his motherboard and his power supply and still displayed the artifacts.

I also tried his graphics card (GTX 560 ti) on my motherboard and the card worked fine. I ran some benchmarks to make sure it wasn't my pci slot. It preformed well. So Im sad to say that it was the Graphics card that was not working.

Thank you...

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
You guys did upgrade the drivers for the GPU I'm guessing?

As for the PSU, the one he has is good enough for the 570.

What are the stability issues? PC hard-locks? Stuttering? Turns off completely?

togan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
The game crashes to desktop,Farcry is what he plays. Technically I "gifted" this card to him,and I had ZERO issues gaming with the card using my Seasonic X760. Hence why I thought his PSU was the culprit...

togan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Thanks guys,I am gonna have access to beefier PSU 850 Silent PRO this weedend and see if that stabilizes the situation. I will try your other tips as well.

ivan_411

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Hey everyone, I am the friend Togan was talking about.

As he stated, I am having all sorts of stability issues.

Yes, I have updated to the newest Nvidia drivers for the GPU which is 301.42.
The stability issues I am having is getting into a game or running a benchmark. As soon as there is a significant load on the GPU, it will either show artifacts and tears on the screen, or will show a black screen and the computer then reboots itself.

I re-seated the card as suggested and that helped for about an hour. I was able to run Need For Speed Shift 2 perfect and was able to run Bad Company 2 as well. After that, the artifacts came back and I had to quit the game.

After a restart, I was able to launch 3DMark 11 and was able to run through the whole bench without any problems. Then I was able to run a stress test on MSI Kombuster 2.3. Once again, it ran perfect for a whole hour under 95% load with a temperature of 60C. After that, I went back to the games and it crashed.

I then re-seated the card again and restarted it. This time, it began showing the artifacts and tears at the beginning log-in screen and while starting up the games.

I have pictures of what is being shown on the screen. I just signed up to this forum so I do not know how to upload the pictures.

I have not tried updating the BIOS yet.

Thank you for the suggestions.

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
Can you plug the GPU back in to togan's PC and see if it runs properly there?

It could be that the PSU is dying...but the PSU would only be the issue if it is dying. 600w (that one specificaly) is MORE than enough power for a single 570.

ivan_411

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
It is not possible to plug in the GPU back to Togan's computer.

I dont think the PSU is dying. It is a little less than a year old. I will try connecting using my friends silent pro 850w and post the results on here.

ivan_411

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
So i was able to use my friends computer to figure out the problem and came to the conclusion that the two PCI 6 pin slots on the graphics slot are the problem. I connected his Silent Pro 850w to my computer and received the artifacts from the beginning.

Thinking that it might be my motherboard, i connected my card to his motherboard (Z77 Sabertooth) with my own power supply and it produced the same results. Then i used his motherboard and his power supply and still displayed the artifacts.

I also tried his graphics card (GTX 560 ti) on my motherboard and the card worked fine. I ran some benchmarks to make sure it wasn't my pci slot. It preformed well. So Im sad to say that it was the Graphics card that was not working.

Thank you for your input. It really helped me to solve this problem.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS