Sign in with
Your question

Brand new computer parts onto a plane

Last response: in CPUs
August 3, 2012 6:20:40 PM

So I bought some hardware in America. CPU, GPU, MOBO and RAM and Im travelling back to the UK. I have been doing a bit of research and it seems you need anti static bags for the X-ray machine and in general. However I have not opened any of the boxes that they come in do i still need to buy those bags or can i just shove them into my carry on bag like im planning and they will be protected. any other suggestions are appreciated.
August 3, 2012 6:26:02 PM

i thought modern xray machines were designed not to damage electronics/film.
a c 78 à CPUs
August 3, 2012 6:38:57 PM

The X-ray machines shouldn't damage the parts in their packaging. If the Transport nazis. I mean.. TSA agents make you open any of them for inspection just make sure any components packed in anti-static bags go back in to them. Only the GPU and mobo will be packaged in them.

You'll be fine either way though, people bring laptops on planes all the time, they go through X-ray machines. I would try to carry them on though, mainly because the idiots in luggage might jostle them around. But my guess is they will not allow you to carry those on. Just make sure they're in a suitcase well protected from tossing and jostling.

Be sure not to try to carry on any cup-cakes. Apparently they're dangerous.
http://articles.cnn.com/2012-01-10/travel/travel_tsa-de...
Related resources
a c 141 à CPUs
August 3, 2012 8:02:28 PM

I package mine in their own suitcase between two pillows and sent them thru witht he luggage without issue just a few months ago. Please note that it was not international travel which might have different inspection rules.
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2012 12:07:06 AM

Hi :) 

Umm , I hope you realise that if you declare them you will be liable to IMPORT DUTY + VAT at 20%...

All the best Brett :) 
August 4, 2012 12:57:54 AM

If i take it out the boxes and stuff put them all in anti static bags and then take them as a carry on bag. Can I say i brought them from the UK when I came to the US or they are used? so I can avoid the VAT and import tax
a c 116 à CPUs
August 4, 2012 2:10:08 AM

Donkster22 said:
Can I say i brought them from the UK when I came to the US or they are used?

Depends on how miserable the customs agents decide to make your day and how often that tends to happen with the UK's.

One of my friends was hosting servers in NY, drove from Montreal to NY to fix/upgrade one of his server and got caught by customs both ways without proof of purchase for his replacement and original parts, ended up costing him a few hundred dollars. Cheating customs might work a lot of the time but when some stuff is not in order or you are unlucky, it can get expensive.

August 4, 2012 5:07:33 PM

well i am a cute looking 15 year old, hope they can let it slide
a c 78 à CPUs
August 4, 2012 5:09:21 PM

LOL, don't hold your breath. The TSA strip searches little old ladies and small children all the time. I know, how dare I get political in the CPU forum. But in all seriousness, don't count on getting one by these guys, they get paid the same as security guards and just like security guards, they're angry little people who in a lot of cases enjoy making themselves feel bigger by humiliating people who don't have a choice but to submit.
August 4, 2012 5:14:11 PM

but just to clarify if it is used you dont have to pay tax right?
a c 78 à CPUs
August 4, 2012 5:16:09 PM

I don't know honestly, you're really on the wrong forum to ask that question lol.
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2012 6:48:33 PM

Donkster22 said:
but just to clarify if it is used you dont have to pay tax right?

NOT EXACTLY...

You are asking the wrong question....

The question the Customs guy will ask is WHERE did you buy it .... and WHAT is its value....

If you say you bought it (new or used) in the US... HE CAN charge you VAT + import duty on what HE THINKS is its value.... the only way round that is to have the receipt which shows its true value.... whereupon he KNOWS its new and charges you VAT at 20% + Import duty...

If he thinks you are lying, they WILL conficate it permanently...and you will NOT get it back...not ever...

And your age wont matter....you will be still breaking the law, whether you are 15 or 85...

a b à CPUs
August 4, 2012 6:51:58 PM

I forgot to add....

The legal way is to DECLARE it (with a receipt)... you may be lucky and your winning smile and age etc , MIGHT get waved through.... I repeat MIGHT...

What they REALLY dont like is you NOT declaring it....ETC ETC...

August 5, 2012 5:16:53 AM

Found out you don't need to pay import duty on computer hardware and I am saying i brought it with me when i came to the US
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2012 9:05:39 AM

Donkster22 said:
Found out you don't need to pay import duty on computer hardware and I am saying i brought it with me when i came to the US

Sorry thats not true...ring customs and excise if you dont believe me...

And pray you dont get caught, as you are under the age to be prosecuted, it will be whomever is travelling with you instead.. :( 

!