DVD drive replacement, which drive?

a friend of mine's xbox's DVD drive died and he's looking to replace it on
llama.com they have 3 different DVD drives. the hitachi (for 89 bucks),
samsung (for 109) and thompson (for about 50 bucks). what are the main
differences between these 3? he just modded his xbox with the Xcutioner v2
chip (I elieve it's V2) and is looking at getting a bigger HD as well, but
he' starting with the DVD first.

thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about drive replacement drive

    If you get a drive, do not get the Thompson, it is by far the worst of
    the pack.

    I got a Philips one for $90 and it has worked great so far. Has faster
    raed speeds as well.

    Dr. Nick wrote:
    > a friend of mine's xbox's DVD drive died and he's looking to replace
    it on
    > llama.com they have 3 different DVD drives. the hitachi (for 89
    bucks),
    > samsung (for 109) and thompson (for about 50 bucks). what are the
    main
    > differences between these 3? he just modded his xbox with the
    Xcutioner v2
    > chip (I elieve it's V2) and is looking at getting a bigger HD as
    well, but
    > he' starting with the DVD first.
    >
    > thanks!

    The samsung no doubt, has highest compatibility rate with DVD-Rs CD-Rs etc..
    But at that price it'd be cheaper to get a new xbox, even if just for
    spares.

    "Dr. Nick" <Drnick5@cox.net> wrote in message
    > a friend of mine's xbox's DVD drive died and he's looking to replace it on
    > llama.com they have 3 different DVD drives. the hitachi (for 89 bucks),
    > samsung (for 109) and thompson (for about 50 bucks). what are the main
    > differences between these 3? he just modded his xbox with the Xcutioner v2
    > chip (I elieve it's V2) and is looking at getting a bigger HD as well, but
    > he' starting with the DVD first.
    >
    > thanks!

    > If you get a drive, do not get the Thompson, it is by far the worst of
    > the pack.
    >
    > I got a Philips one for $90 and it has worked great so far. Has faster
    > raed speeds as well.
    >
    > Dr. Nick wrote:
    >> a friend of mine's xbox's DVD drive died and he's looking to replace
    > it on
    >> llama.com they have 3 different DVD drives. the hitachi (for 89
    > bucks),
    >> samsung (for 109) and thompson (for about 50 bucks). what are the
    > main
    >> differences between these 3? he just modded his xbox with the
    > Xcutioner v2
    >> chip (I elieve it's V2) and is looking at getting a bigger HD as
    > well, but
    >> he' starting with the DVD first.
    >>
    >> thanks!

    Unless you are a cheap bastard like myself. I decided the price
    differance was worth the risk. If the DVD fails again, I will just kiss
    all my game saves goodbye and replace the entire XBOX. They are only
    games anyway.

    "TheLightsAreOn" <fake@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
    >> If you get a drive, do not get the Thompson, it is by far the worst of

    > Unless you are a cheap bastard like myself. I decided the price
    > differance was worth the risk. If the DVD fails again, I will just kiss
    > all my game saves goodbye and replace the entire XBOX. They are only
    > games anyway.

    Why not copy them to a memory card? I use a 64 meg CompactFlash card with
    the adapter.

    > "TheLightsAreOn" <fake@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
    >>> If you get a drive, do not get the Thompson, it is by far the worst
    >>> of
    >

    >> Unless you are a cheap bastard like myself. I decided the price
    >> differance was worth the risk. If the DVD fails again, I will just
    >> kiss all my game saves goodbye and replace the entire XBOX. They are
    >> only games anyway.
    >
    > Why not copy them to a memory card? I use a 64 meg CompactFlash card
    > with the adapter.

    I know some are too big to fit on a standard memory card, but I had not
    though of a CF card. But then again, being the cheap person I am, I
    would not get a CF card for one use like that.

    But then again, truth be told, my XBOX is modded, and I have transfered
    al my saves to my computer. If I do have to replace my XBOX, I hope I
    will be able to de-solder the chip and reinstall it to the new one...

Console Gaming DVD Drives Xbox Video Games