Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Random PC crashes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2012 1:49:33 PM

Hello :D  Need some help, advice please.

Im getting random crashes every now and then and it doesnt seem to matter if im doing something demanding or something less demanding eg: browsing. This has been happening for a while now and im stumped....

Ok so this is what happens. Doing anything from gaming to browsing and then PC crashes, blank screen, power still on, GPU fan whirls up to what sounds like max and stays like that. My first thought was GPU over heating but it isnt, i installed something to monitor GPU temp and this crash still happens when the GPU is at only 28*C same with the CPU, crashes when CPU is at around 35-40*C.

I am lost as to what might be happening, someone PLEASE help, i am losing alot of random data/saves and MY TIME!! because of this QQ.

More about : random crashes

a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2012 2:03:26 PM

What are your specs?
This crashes are recent? started after you doing what?
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2012 2:05:39 PM

by crashing you mean blue screen? download and run memtest overnight.
Related resources
February 13, 2012 8:50:52 PM

Black screen crash. screen just goes black.

HD4850 512mb 650mhz 1050 mhz
Athlon 2x2 240 2.8gh dual
Some random hard drive
Gigabyte GM-m720-us3
2gb ram 2x1gb ganged in the right slots

Thanx for the messages back :D 
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2012 11:26:41 PM

screen goes black, like is monitor is disconnected? so probabily your graphic card is with problems, what is your Power supply unit?
February 14, 2012 4:28:58 PM

ricardois said:
screen goes black, like is monitor is disconnected? so probabily your graphic card is with problems, what is your Power supply unit?

500watt PSU but is over 2years old. power draw from cpu is max 60watt (main reason i got this one) i think gpu is only 180watt

I didnt even think of it being the PSU.... lol
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2012 4:47:28 PM

well if it is what i am thinking with time and capacitor aging the computers starts to waste more energy and the result if your psu is not good enough is that, the psu starts to be not enough for your specs.

also some psus are labeled like 500watts and blow up when get 350w, so what brand is your psu? good psus are ready for capacitor aging and can handle power even below the labeled specs, that is the difference between a good and a generic psu.

If you are able try changing the psu see if works, it may also be graphics card problem, but when the graphics card is overheating you see various glitches in the screen before it turns off.
February 14, 2012 4:59:41 PM

Yes like the monitor is disconected BUT it doesnt go into standby mode like it does when i turn the PC off.
February 14, 2012 5:05:06 PM

ricardois said:
well if it is what i am thinking with time and capacitor aging the computers starts to waste more energy and the result if your psu is not good enough is that, the psu starts to be not enough for your specs.

also some psus are labeled like 500watts and blow up when get 350w, so what brand is your psu? good psus are ready for capacitor aging and can handle power even below the labeled specs, that is the difference between a good and a generic psu.

If you are able try changing the psu see if works, it may also be graphics card problem, but when the graphics card is overheating you see various glitches in the screen before it turns off.

Yeah im not sure of the brand, doesnt have any names stickers i could see but i do know its not a "branded" well known good make of psu, again just some random cheap'ish thing.

Ty for all your feed back i will get my hands on a new PSU as i have been thinking of upgrading my pc for a while now anyway. Could u recommend a mid ranged price 750watt please? :D 

Again ty so much :D 
!