Solved

First HTPC build for 3D Blu Ray

Asking for some help from more seasoned builders than I.

Looking at one of two set ups....I do want the ability for 3D blu ray. I have my main rig for gaming, so this will only be used for a few emulators to play old school game with my wife such as Golden Eye nothing high end. Also have network storage so I don't need a hard drive for storage.

AMD A6-3650
ASRock A75M FM1

or

Intel i3-2100
ASRock H61M-GE

AMD has integrated 6530D graphics, Intel has HD2000. Not looking for a dedicated card, looking for quiet and low power. Can anyone give me any recommendations using XBMC and PowerDVD 10 for Blu Ray and 3D Blu Ray?

Also, the stock coolers, are they quiet enough or should I pick up an aftermarket? They don't have to have great performance, just quiet. Passive would be great!!

Other components I already have:

Silverstone Grandia GD05B
Cooler Master Elite Power 460w
LG Blu Ray drive
Intel X25-V 40gb SSD
4gb G.Skill DDR3 1333 memory
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about first htpc build
  1. Best answer
    The scythe big shuriken 2 is probably your best choice of cooler .

    Id use a triple core Llano . Much better graphically than the intel option which will probably need an additional graphics card to add an HDMI 1.4 or 1.4a connector

    The coolermaster psu you list is not suitable . Only use psu's with a feature called Active PCF , and 80+ bronze rated or better . Without this they are inefficient, and that means more heat and that means a louder cooling fan .
    You will only need 300 - 350 watt

    Are you installing XMBC as an operating system or as an application under a windows OS?
  2. Thanks for the reply. So a PSU like this would be better for the set up? The board has an 8 pin and this PSU only has a 4 pin, but I assume I won't be doing anything intense enough to need the 8 pin correct?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151086

    I will have 32 bit windows 7 with XBMC installed as an application.

    Thanks again!
  3. I'd think you'd be fine with a 4 pin power connector but I cant confirm that with Llano where there could be a higher draw because of the graphics processor on board .

    In context a computer like this is never going to draw more than 120 watts total so it should be fine .

    It is an interesting choice of PSU because Ive been thinking of building a pretty much identical system for a while now. The 300 watt isnt available here but the 350 is so I was going to use that instead .

    And then either XMBC under 32 bit XP , or run mythbuntu
  4. Outlander_04 said:
    I'd think you'd be fine with a 4 pin power connector but I cant confirm that with Llano where there could be a higher draw because of the graphics processor on board .

    In context a computer like this is never going to draw more than 120 watts total so it should be fine .

    It is an interesting choice of PSU because Ive been thinking of building a pretty much identical system for a while now. The 300 watt isnt available here but the 350 is so I was going to use that instead .

    And then either XMBC under 32 bit XP , or run mythbuntu


    Is there a reason you recommend XP instead of 7? I have a copy of XP available if there are advantages, I just assumed going with the latest OS would provide the best compatibility.

    I saw the 350 as well, but it seems as if 300 would be enough so I can save a few bucks that way.
  5. I'd question why even bother with XBMC? Is there some advantage to XBMC over 7MC? I mean I'd understand if you think the interface is better (I wouldn't know) or the response time is snappier. So I am curious as to why you're bothering with XBMC.

    As for the rest of your system, I agree with Outlander and you should go with the AMD A6-3650.

    -Wolf sends
  6. dotty248 said:
    Is there a reason you recommend XP instead of 7? I have a copy of XP available if there are advantages, I just assumed going with the latest OS would provide the best compatibility.

    I saw the 350 as well, but it seems as if 300 would be enough so I can save a few bucks that way.



    I have a spare copy of XP , and thats the only reason
  7. Wolfshadw said:
    I'd question why even bother with XBMC? Is there some advantage to XBMC over 7MC? I mean I'd understand if you think the interface is better (I wouldn't know) or the response time is snappier. So I am curious as to why you're bothering with XBMC.

    As for the rest of your system, I agree with Outlander and you should go with the AMD A6-3650.

    -Wolf sends


    I use some of the Add On's in XBMC to launch other programs such as game emulators, Slingplayer, etc. My wife also prefers the Metropolis skin....she finds it easy to navigate as she is not very computer literate. I don't have much preference, but have to keep her happy!
  8. Ahh.. Avoiding WAF... Excellent reason!

    -Wolf sends
  9. Best answer selected by dotty248.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Blu-ray 3D Systems Product