Bought a Second hand MOBO with CPU & Fan, broken

GreenFanta

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
I bought a second hand MOBO with a CPU and a Fan for the CPU, I've received it and it seems as though the clips on the CPU fan have snapped and I think that's what's causing the error "CPU Temperature over" or something to that effect, is there a way I can prevent this so to use the computer for just tonight (as tomorrow I am going to buy a new fan.) the fan is spinning and on top of it, I assume it's just the sensor detects it is not pressed right against it but like 0.1mm away from it instead.

Thanks

Regards

Matthew

nna2

Distinguished
buy an new cooler, you can get a very good one for 30$... i suggest the hyper 212 + or 212 EVO... i would suggest not running the PC until you have a new CPU cooler

GreenFanta

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
Just checking it now, it seems as though it may not necessarily be the cooler, I will try run a test using another computer.

popatim

Titan
if the retaining clips for the cooler are broken then thats definitely a problem as it relies heavily on 'contact pressure' with the cpu.

I'n not saying thats your only problem, just that letting it just sit on the cpu isn't enough esp if its a high powered processor.

Good luck

CM_USA

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Are you able to see the temperature of your cpu in BIOS? Some motherboard has that error when the cpu goes over a certain temperature, you can call your motherboard company to see if you can take out that function.