Directing Desktops Shortcuts to Non-Default Browser

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Firefox is my default browser. I have a web page Favorite shortcut placed on
my desktop that is not supported by Firefox. Of course, when I click on the
icon, if tries to open in FF, I need it to open in IE. When i right click on
the icon, there is no "Open With" prompt, and there is nothing in
"Properties" that will allow me to open it in IE. How can I still have FF my
default browser, but have these IE only pages open from a desktop Favorite
shortcut??
4 answers Last reply
More about directing desktops shortcuts default browser
  1. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Create a new shortcut with the command "C:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe" "http://www.webpageaddress.com"

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Fred" <anonymous@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:302n0aF2qtglgU1@uni-berlin.de...
    > Firefox is my default browser. I have a web page Favorite shortcut placed on
    > my desktop that is not supported by Firefox. Of course, when I click on the
    > icon, if tries to open in FF, I need it to open in IE. When i right click on
    > the icon, there is no "Open With" prompt, and there is nothing in
    > "Properties" that will allow me to open it in IE. How can I still have FF my
    > default browser, but have these IE only pages open from a desktop Favorite
    > shortcut??

    Hi Fred,

    Thanks for posting!

    Actually, if the Firefox support the mode like firefox <URL>, we may change
    it like below:

    The url files is associated with InternetShortcut file type.

    We can find it out by the following command line:

    assoc .url
    url=InternetShortcut

    ftype InternetShortcut
    InternetShortcut=rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l

    You may change this InternetShortcut to using FireFox if it can support it.

    ftype InternetShortcut=<path>\firefox %l

    You may also ask Firefox's support for more information:

    http://www.mozilla.org/support/

    Hope it helps!

    Have a great day!

    Best Regards,

    Jeff Qiu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support
    MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA

    --------------------
    >From: "Fred" <anonymous@hotmail.com>
    >Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
    >Subject: Directing Desktops Shortcuts to Non-Default Browser
    >Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:33:12 -0500
    >microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
    >
    >Firefox is my default browser. I have a web page Favorite shortcut placed
    on
    >my desktop that is not supported by Firefox. Of course, when I click on
    the
    >icon, if tries to open in FF, I need it to open in IE. When i right click
    on
    >the icon, there is no "Open With" prompt, and there is nothing in
    >"Properties" that will allow me to open it in IE. How can I still have FF
    my
    >default browser, but have these IE only pages open from a desktop Favorite
    >shortcut??

  3. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    nice, tyvm

    --

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    Create a new shortcut with the command "C:\program files\internet
    explorer\iexplore.exe" "http://www.webpageaddress.com"

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Fred" <anonymous@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Firefox is my default browser. I have a web page Favorite shortcut placed
    > on
    > my desktop that is not supported by Firefox. Of course, when I click on
    > the
    > icon, if tries to open in FF, I need it to open in IE. When i right click
    > on
    > the icon, there is no "Open With" prompt, and there is nothing in
    > "Properties" that will allow me to open it in IE. How can I still have FF
    > my
    > default browser, but have these IE only pages open from a desktop Favorite
    > shortcut??

  4. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    You're welcome :)

    "Fred" <anonymous@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:30402nF2ofh2qU1@uni-berlin.de...
    > nice, tyvm
    >
    > --
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Create a new shortcut with the command "C:\program files\internet
    > explorer\iexplore.exe" "http://www.webpageaddress.com"
    >
    > --
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "Fred" <anonymous@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Firefox is my default browser. I have a web page Favorite shortcut placed
    >> on
    >> my desktop that is not supported by Firefox. Of course, when I click on
    >> the
    >> icon, if tries to open in FF, I need it to open in IE. When i right click
    >> on
    >> the icon, there is no "Open With" prompt, and there is nothing in
    >> "Properties" that will allow me to open it in IE. How can I still have FF
    >> my
    >> default browser, but have these IE only pages open from a desktop Favorite
    >> shortcut??

Configuration Default Internet Explorer Desktops Browsers Windows XP