Directing Desktops Shortcuts to Non-Default Browser

fred

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Firefox is my default browser. I have a web page Favorite shortcut placed on
my desktop that is not supported by Firefox. Of course, when I click on the
icon, if tries to open in FF, I need it to open in IE. When i right click on
the icon, there is no "Open With" prompt, and there is nothing in
"Properties" that will allow me to open it in IE. How can I still have FF my
default browser, but have these IE only pages open from a desktop Favorite
shortcut??

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Create a new shortcut with the command "C:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe" "http://www.webpageaddress.com"

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Fred" <anonymous@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:302n0aF2qtglgU1@uni-berlin.de...
> Firefox is my default browser. I have a web page Favorite shortcut placed on
> my desktop that is not supported by Firefox. Of course, when I click on the
> icon, if tries to open in FF, I need it to open in IE. When i right click on
> the icon, there is no "Open With" prompt, and there is nothing in
> "Properties" that will allow me to open it in IE. How can I still have FF my
> default browser, but have these IE only pages open from a desktop Favorite
> shortcut??

Hi Fred,

Thanks for posting!

Actually, if the Firefox support the mode like firefox <URL>, we may change
it like below:

The url files is associated with InternetShortcut file type.

We can find it out by the following command line:

assoc .url
url=InternetShortcut

ftype InternetShortcut
InternetShortcut=rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l

You may change this InternetShortcut to using FireFox if it can support it.

ftype InternetShortcut=<path>\firefox %l

You may also ask Firefox's support for more information:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/

Hope it helps!

Have a great day!

Best Regards,

Jeff Qiu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA

--------------------
>From: "Fred" <anonymous@hotmail.com>
>Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
>Subject: Directing Desktops Shortcuts to Non-Default Browser
>Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:33:12 -0500
>microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
>
>Firefox is my default browser. I have a web page Favorite shortcut placed
on
>my desktop that is not supported by Firefox. Of course, when I click on
the
>icon, if tries to open in FF, I need it to open in IE. When i right click
on
>the icon, there is no "Open With" prompt, and there is nothing in
>"Properties" that will allow me to open it in IE. How can I still have FF
my
>default browser, but have these IE only pages open from a desktop Favorite
>shortcut??

fred

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

nice, tyvm

--

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
Create a new shortcut with the command "C:\program files\internet
explorer\iexplore.exe" "http://www.webpageaddress.com"

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Fred" <anonymous@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Firefox is my default browser. I have a web page Favorite shortcut placed
> on
> my desktop that is not supported by Firefox. Of course, when I click on
> the
> icon, if tries to open in FF, I need it to open in IE. When i right click
> on
> the icon, there is no "Open With" prompt, and there is nothing in
> "Properties" that will allow me to open it in IE. How can I still have FF
> my
> default browser, but have these IE only pages open from a desktop Favorite
> shortcut??

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

You're welcome :)