Sign in with
Your question

Do i need to secure my cpu if im using thermal paste

Last response: in CPUs
August 3, 2012 9:35:02 PM

do i need to secure my cpu with something else, if im using thermal paste ?
a c 152 à CPUs
August 3, 2012 9:38:35 PM

arielok said:

Yes. All the thermal paste does is fill in microscopic scratches or uneven area's on the IHS. If you don't lock it down it's pointless because there won't be good heat transfer and you will have high temps.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 3, 2012 10:09:23 PM

arielok said:

No, you should leave it loose so when it gets hot it can fall out of your motherboard and do a little dance around the room to cool itself off!

OK, All joking aside yes your CPU most definitely has to be secured. Thermal paste is just that, a paste (like toothpaste), not a glue and while you could buy a thermal glue you wouldn't want to use that on your CPU.

All motherboards have some sort of mechanism to lock the CPU in place and any type of thermal compound should never be used in-between the CPU and the motherboard.

The heat-sink that goes on top of the CPU (motherboard, CPU, heat-sink, in that order) also has a way to secure itself in place.

The thermal paste goes in between the CPU and the heat-sink. It's important to use enough but, not to much or it could squeeze out and get on to some of your electronics. That would be bad!

I'm guessing you haven't done this before so I would check out YouTube there are a number of good videos about applying thermal paste to CPU's. :sol: 
m
l
Related resources
August 3, 2012 10:13:58 PM

The paste does NOT go between the cpu and socket. I just want to add that based on the way the question is written ...
m
l
August 4, 2012 1:14:31 AM

Actually, there is one exception for that rule ...
m
l
August 4, 2012 1:26:14 AM

arielok said:

I honestly mean no offence. Please find a friend who knows what their doing to come to where you are and help you. You are in risk of permanently damaging your hardware.
m
l
August 4, 2012 3:22:08 AM

wait for it ...
m
l
August 8, 2012 5:51:35 PM

hahahaha,, guys, sorry, but my english is not good enough, thanks for the good laughs,, but i wanted to put the paste there, but I know now that wasnt the way to ask what I wanted to ask, but thanks to Idonno and the rest of you for the help provided.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2012 8:01:58 PM

arielok said:
hahahaha,, guys, sorry, but my english is not good enough, thanks for the good laughs,, but i wanted to put the paste there, but I know now that wasnt the way to ask what I wanted to ask, but thanks to Idonno and the rest of you for the help provided.

No problem, I'm glad you got the issue resolved. :sol: 
m
l
!