makeleletoulalan

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
i think they spent too much money on the cpu giving it an i7 when it could have easily went into upgrading the 6850 gpu. with a similar budget, you could possibly build a better computer

doing general estimations on how much it costed you:

940$ their price-100$ 1tb drive-100$ os-18$ optical drive-140~150$ gpu-310$ cpu= 252~262$

252~262$ is what your spending on the case+psu+mobo+mouse+keyboard

say a decent mobo is ~150$, then you are spending 102~112$ on the case+psu+mouse+keyboard, which in combo deals, could easily be fit in somewhere.

biggest thing though that i see is that the cpu could have been a 2500k and the excess ~100$ could have turned that 6850 into like a 560ti or something

G

its fine. yeah as usual a prebuilt is rather expensive but as you said live and learn.

a few words of advise. UPGRADE THE PSU! prebuilds are notorious for weak PSUs.

you may either want to get another 6850 for cross fire or better yet sell the one in it and upgrade to a better card if you want better performance while gaming.

still, its yours . .enjoy.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Well it just powers your system. The wall outlet puts out AC current, while computers need DC current the power supply converts the AC current into usable DC current. Problems can arise if the PSU is of bad quality and dies. There is a chance that along with it going the PSU could also take other more expensive components with it. If you don't change the computer at all you should be fine (changing it may void a warranty if there is one this is the reason for not changing it). But if you ever want to make changed, do replace the PSU.

G

it isn't the quantity but the QUALITY of a PSU.

a 700 watt POS PSU can fail at 500 watts where as a 450 watts can handle an overload of 500 watts.

i would like to suggest if you are locked into getting it. get it with the lower PSU so its cheaper. than get a better quality PSU ASAP.

andrewcarr

Distinguished

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Well since I don't know the exact model/specs of the PSU in the computer I can't say for sure about the efficiency. But it will most likely be better for either of the PSU I linked, I doubt the one in the computer is 80+ rated at all.

As for the minimum wattage any of those linked PSU are fine. Use this PSU calculator if you are still worried.
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
As I said the 500w one can handle two of the cards if your motherboard can support CF.