Intel pledges 80 cores in five years

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Thought this was interesting. No real details, obviously, but I want one.

Intel has built a prototype of a processor with 80 cores that can perform a trillion floating point operations per second.

The chips are capable of exchanging data at a terabyte a second, Otellini said during a keynote speech. The company hopes to have these chips ready for commercial production within a five-year window.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6119618.html

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Intel has built a prototype of a processor with 80 cores that can perform a trillion floating point operations per second.

The chips are capable of exchanging data at a terabyte a second, Otellini said during a keynote speech. The company hopes to have these chips ready for commercial production within a five-year window.

Hmm...wonder what the die would like on the wafer.

5 years, huh? Well, hopefully, I will still be employed to see this thing run through the fab.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
If you happen to see any lying around...... :twisted:

For those interested - Intel has the presentations they're using at IDF here.

They're protected, but Intel gives you the name & password to use.

Woohoo!!!!!!!!

Finally, something powerful enough for me to run an emulation program so that I can play PONG!!!

It can't come soon enough!!!

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Here is a bit of Justin Rattner's presentation concerning this topic. I guess project keifer wasn't too ambitious as I previously thought.

Anyway, its a pretty good read.

Intel develops tera-scale chips

couldn't get it to properly link to the page with the actual news release. So I linked to the headline page from there just select the article about tera-scale chips.

npilier

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Waiting for affordable, build-it-yourself VR - 10 yrs
Waiting 5+ yrs for DIY VR tech - perhaps between $3k or $5k
Having AMD/Other Proc. manuftrs. lowering Intel's prices for DIY VR - Priceless!

lol

Great news...that means I will have to learn C++ and ASM really well in order to exploit the benefit of 80 CPUs!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Still not enough cores for BM's megatasking/dev work. :wink:

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Still not enough cores for BM's megatasking/dev work. :wink:

Yup. The FSB and swapping would be the bottleneck. :lol:

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006

Hmm...wonder what the die would like on the wafer.

5 years, huh? Well, hopefully, I will still be employed to see this thing run through the fab.

Well, by the time it's ready, they will be 22 nm, three times smaller than they are now, but you do raise a good point, which brings up another: how much would one of those cost? Wafer real estate isn't cheap.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Great news...that means I will have to learn C++ and ASM really well in order to exploit the benefit of 80 CPUs!

No, I tend to think that that sort of hardware change will require a huge redesign of all compilers and ways to do stuff. It's too much of a change! I mean, a machine with 80 cores right now is simply stupid, unless you write very, very specific code.

This would have to be implemented very carefully, and it should be much more trouble for the compilers than for the end users or higher-level programmers. Well, that's my initial guess anyway.

HoldenMcGroin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
I think you guys are missing the main point here.

The main point is that we are soon going to have Nuclear Power Supplies included with every case purchase! They will no doubt consume 1.21GW of power. The cores will raise the temperature within your house to about 2 degrees below that of the sun, or in other words, like living in Arizona.

Trust me, I live there.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Here is a bit of Justin Rattner's presentation concerning this topic. I guess project keifer wasn't too ambitious as I previously thought.

Anyway, its a pretty good read.

Intel develops tera-scale chips

couldn't get it to properly link to the page with the actual news release. So I linked to the headline page from there just select the article about tera-scale chips.

Thanks, it is a good read. I was looking over the presentation slides on Intel's site. Kinda wondering if Intel wants to go with full cores in the future (with smaller process tech, obviously), or if they're going to go with more RISC cores like the prototype (like the Cell). Hopefully, somebody puts some video of the IDF presentations up.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
ROFL :D

Actually, if you had 80 microcores with advanced on-the-fly on/off switches, I think you might as well end up with a much more efficient system!

Like, each microcore consumes, say, 1W. If you could implement a deep sleep state, you'd only keep needed cores active!

Just thinking... 80 microcores is a very strange proposition...

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I think you guys are missing the main point here.

The main point is that we are soon going to have Nuclear Power Supplies included with every case purchase! They will no doubt consume 1.21GW of power. The cores will raise the temperature within your house to about 2 degrees below that of the sun, or in other words, like living in Arizona.

Trust me, I live there.

Well if we can get it hot enough, we can start our own fusion reactor, and it will be self-powered. :p

On the other hand, this chip will be more power efficient in the server/supercomputer world. If you can replace 20-40 systems with one, it is bound to be more efficient.

npilier

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I agree with you on that if you write machine-specific code already, doing so for 80 wouldn't be a sweat! My only concern is that point you raised -writing efficient code for 80 MICROprocs- I really don't know, yet, how CPU arch entirely works but better compilers and libraries definitely will be necessary.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6119618.htmlIt's known as a "GPU". ;)

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Wow. Imagine running all 80 cores at max load... I can imagine myself playing Half-Life 4 for 5 minutes then realizing the side of my case has vaporized...

Wonder how they'll OC.

npilier

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
lol....OCling wide, I think it is out of the question right now...Just imagine the following thought, if just the 80 procs would evaporate the entire case -w/o OC, what can we expect OCling it? It's a scary thought, at least right now lol.