Pay No Attention To That Man Behind The Curtain!

the information in the article is not accurate:

"Because the G5 systems can only use a GeForce 6800 Ultra or an ATI
Radeon X800 X..."

the current G5 models use the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra OR the ATI
Radeon 9650... both of which are more powerful than suggested. to say
"less powered Apple G5's" is certainly arguable and relatively
unimportant, especially in that they were exposed for using the G5's in
the first place!

thanks for posting this... too funny! ;o)

Robert P Holley wrote:
> Is this possible? Apparently the Xbox360 demo kiosks weren't running
> actually Xbox360 hardware at all, but less powered Apple G5s?
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2420&p=5
>
> Could this be a legitimate reason for their lackluster showing?

Considering all development is done on the Apple G5's right now its not
really a surprise is it?

--
Byron Hinson
My Photography

DaveC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

"Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
> the information in the article is not accurate:
>
> "Because the G5 systems can only use a GeForce 6800 Ultra or an ATI
> Radeon X800 X..."
>
> the current G5 models use the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra OR the ATI
> Radeon 9650... both of which are more powerful than suggested. to say
> "less powered Apple G5's" is certainly arguable and relatively
> unimportant, especially in that they were exposed for using the G5's in
> the first place!
>
> thanks for posting this... too funny! ;o)

All this means to me is that the 360 is VAPORWARE!

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> Is this possible? Apparently the Xbox360 demo kiosks weren't running
> actually Xbox360 hardware at all, but less powered Apple G5s?
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2420&p=5
>
> Could this be a legitimate reason for their lackluster showing?

no doubt it could be but WHY IN THE HELL IS MS running less powerful kiosks
systems when the 360 is 6 months away from launching? The games were not
very impressive for games that will be available in 6 months to a year and
now we are to believe they aren't even running on the actual hardware?

I will still line up launch day with wallet in hand and eyes the size of
dinner plates! :)

"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I will still line up launch day with wallet in hand and eyes the size of
> dinner plates! :)

LOL! Ya, me too most likely. Damn you Microsoft. :)

Jordan

Wow, that's a huge mistake on Microsoft's part. I thought they were
smarter than that... If you're going to go to the big electronics show
in the same year as your hardware launch then you better be running on
actual hardware.

I saw the DOA 4 footage and was thinking "So, except for the flower
petals this could be an Xbox title..."

It will be interesting to see what they come up with as we get closer
to launch... I'm still waiting to play something for myself before I
get excited...

- Jordan

Jordan wrote:

> I saw the DOA 4 footage and was thinking "So, except for the flower
> petals this could be an Xbox title..."

Exactly. And the very first fighter they show, her clothing is clipping
right through her limbs. It just looked bad. Not BAD bad, the game still
looks amazing, but not next-gen amazing.

-Z-

Robert P Holley wrote:

> Is this possible? Apparently the Xbox360 demo kiosks weren't running
> actually Xbox360 hardware at all, but less powered Apple G5s?

I can vouch for this. While the kiosks appeared to have an Xbox 360 unit in
them, if you peered through the grill you could see the devkits tucked away
in there (or as tucked away as a pair of massive G5 towers can be inside a
small box like that.) Most also had standard living room style fans running
at full power to direct warm air out of the kiosk.

In most non-MS behind closed doors demos tho, they didn't make any effort to
hide the fact that the games were running off G5s, with the controllers
plugged directly into the G5 towers.

> Could this be a legitimate reason for their lackluster showing?

I'm not sure if I buy the line that the devkits are running at one-third the
power of the final hardware, but it's pretty clear the hardware isn't mature
yet. One non-MS-affiliated developer I talked to said they were hoping to
get beta devkits soon and begin adding a bunch of additional features to the
game while also pumping up the framerate.

I hope it's true, because very few of the Xbox 360 games on display were
really next-gen impressive. Full Auto roxored tho. Damn what a hoot that
game is. Burnout + guns + Prince of Persia time rewind + physics system that
affects every single object in the envrironment = fun. I hope it's a launch
title.

-Z-