Severe probs with pci 128

G

I have a duron 766 mhz, 128 ram, geforce 2 mx, and a creative PCI 128 digital sound card. I recently learned that the reason my geforce was locking was the abscence of enough power....when I put a new power supply in the vid card worked fine, but to my discust my sound card doesn't. It will load into windows fine but after two or three sounds are played or an mp3 for a matter of seconds the computer will lock and a screaming high pitch noise will come out of the speakers. What could Ihave done? I am quite a novice when it comes down to the fine details of harware but is something like this really possible? How would i fix it? Has the soundcard been burnt out by the power supply?

I need some answers! :(

Thanx in advance
Andy
New Zealand.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i just posted a message about the vibra 128.
i think both versiouns of the soundblaster 128 are f**ked. mine didnt do a screech sound, rather a very short cycle of the last fragment of sound played

i replaced the 128 with a SB live and have 0 crashes so far, thats for 4 days running compared to a crash an hour for the old one.
my music and audio also sounds far crisper and richer to boot, and the software provided has lots of nice gizmos.

and that must be overclocked... durons dont come as 766 do they???

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars

G

Yeah turns out it is a 700.....I thought it had been overclocked but it just says 766 in certain progs.

Nah man the prob with my sound card was it DID work.....since I put in the power supply it doesn't anymore.....I put the old one back in and it did the same thing.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Both of your problems are caused by Irq conflicts, very common with all creative sound cards. They do not like to share Irq's and prefer to be on irq five. Try swapping slots after uninstalling in safe mode.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

TRENDING THREADS