- Can someone tell me how to set my camera for...

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 23, 2005 7:32:54 PM

Hi guys,

I own a Fujifilm Finepix A340 (last year's model). It's this model here :
http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/fuji-a340/a340-gen.php

Being an idiot, I lost the manual almost as soon as I bought it, and have
been clumsily using it ever since by guessing through the various menus and
options.

Works fine enough, even in the hands of a dumb oaf like myself. However, the
camera seems to have a real hard time taking any shot that has the slightest
movement in it. It blurs at almost nothing. Additionally, it can't handle
any night shots. It needs a bright landscape or it chokes.

Then it occurred to me.. it's probably not the camera. I'm probably just not
using it right.

Could someone give me a cliff's notes version of what the settings ought to
be for night shots, as well as shots involving more movement (someone
playing a sport, for instance). All I know is that the flower is for
close-ups.

Is there a webpage with this kind of info out there? Are the symbols on the
camera universal?

Thanks.

More about : set camera

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 1:59:56 AM

JY wrote:

> I own a Fujifilm Finepix A340 (last year's model). It's this model here :
> http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/fuji-a340/a340-gen.php
>
> Being an idiot, I lost the manual almost as soon as I bought it, and have
> been clumsily using it ever since by guessing through the various menus and
> options.

[...]

> Could someone give me a cliff's notes version of what the settings ought to
> be for night shots, as well as shots involving more movement (someone
> playing a sport, for instance). All I know is that the flower is for
> close-ups.

Hi, JY,

though the question may be silly, have you tried downloading the A340
manual from Fuji's web pages?

http://fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/ServiceSupportPr...

(link may be wrapped into two lines)

Greetings from Germany - Ralf

--
My animal photo page on the WWW: http://schmode.net (currently offline)
"Best of" portfolio: http://www2.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc.php4?mypics=254

"JY" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message news:42bb0e37$1_1@x-privat.org...
> Hi guys,
>
> I own a Fujifilm Finepix A340 (last year's model). It's this model here :
> http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/fuji-a340/a340-gen.php
>
> Being an idiot, I lost the manual almost as soon as I bought it, and have
> been clumsily using it ever since by guessing through the various menus
and
> options.
>
> Works fine enough, even in the hands of a dumb oaf like myself. However,
the
> camera seems to have a real hard time taking any shot that has the
slightest
> movement in it. It blurs at almost nothing. Additionally, it can't handle
> any night shots. It needs a bright landscape or it chokes.
>
> Then it occurred to me.. it's probably not the camera. I'm probably just
not
> using it right.
>
> Could someone give me a cliff's notes version of what the settings ought
> be for night shots, as well as shots involving more movement (someone
> playing a sport, for instance). All I know is that the flower is for
> close-ups.
>
> Is there a webpage with this kind of info out there? Are the symbols on
the
> camera universal?
>
> Thanks.

Open the lens cover to turn on the camera. After it starts, press the menu
button. Press the right button to highlight the purple camera symbol. These
are the scene modes. For action, set it to sport mode. for night shots, set
it to the night scene mode. (not all mode show on the screen at once. You
must scroll.)

Try not to zoom if possible for some action shots. Zoomed in, the lens has a
smaller max. aperture and thus, cause a slower shutter speed which causes
more blur. Try to pan the camera with the action to help minimize blurring
of the subject when taking the shot. Use flash if the subject is close
enough. Turn the flash to off when the subject is beyond 15 or 20 feet.

For night shots, set the camera as previously noted. Depending on the
subject distance, you may want the flash off. Keep the lens set to wide
angle (zoomed out). Due to the very long shutter speeds (possible over a
second) you should consider using a tripod.

-S
Related resources
June 25, 2005 8:30:22 AM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:57:30 -0400, "SimonLW" <anon@anon.com> wrote:

Turn the flash to off when the subject is beyond 15 or 20 feet.

One of my favorite laughers is like at sporting events when all the
flashes are going off 50 to 100 yards from the target.......I know
some people just don't know how to turn if off but I bet a good
percentage think it helps.

A guy next to me at a nite football game (high school) put his camera
away early and complained about the flash using up his batteries, I
told him he didn't need it and he took offense immediately although I
was very nice to him.....he said something like OK Mr. Expert why is
the flash even there if not to light up the person you are taking
pictures of at nite. I didn't say anything else. He also mentioned all
the flashes you see at concerts and football games etc.......lol

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 8:41:19 AM

Brad wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:57:30 -0400, "SimonLW" <anon@anon.com> wrote:
>

> Turn the flash to off when the subject is beyond 15 or 20 feet.
>
> One of my favorite laughers is like at sporting events when all the
> flashes are going off 50 to 100 yards from the target.......I know
> some people just don't know how to turn if off but I bet a good
> percentage think it helps.
>
> A guy next to me at a nite football game (high school) put his camera
> away early and complained about the flash using up his batteries, I
> told him he didn't need it and he took offense immediately although I
> was very nice to him.....he said something like OK Mr. Expert why is
> the flash even there if not to light up the person you are taking
> pictures of at nite. I didn't say anything else. He also mentioned all
> the flashes you see at concerts and football games etc.......lol

Hi...

Yep, I agree. The flash is really there for when you're
taking night time pictures of the moon. Or stars :)

Ken
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 3:04:52 PM

In message <Pf5ve.88291$El.24214@pd7tw1no>,
Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote:

>Yep, I agree. The flash is really there for when you're
>taking night time pictures of the moon. Or stars :)

Don't forget to smoke, and exhale a large cloud of smoke just before
shooting.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 8:13:33 AM

JPS@no.komm wrote:
: In message <Pf5ve.88291$El.24214@pd7tw1no>,
: Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote:

: >Yep, I agree. The flash is really there for when you're
: >taking night time pictures of the moon. Or stars :)

: Don't forget to smoke, and exhale a large cloud of smoke just before
: shooting.

One of my favorite flash photos (one I saw, not one I took) was one that
was late at night and I suspect the flash was set to red eye reduction.
The pre flash obviously atracted a moth that then zipped past the lens
just as the second flash went off. The moth left a ghost like gauzy blur
across the image. Since this photo was of a "haunted house" at a theme
park, this "ghost" was highly appropriate. :)

Randy

Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
!