Connect to TV through HDMI

seattlegeek

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I'm connecting the laptop to the LCD TV through HDMI port. The laptop has AMD Radeon 6520G which supports resolution up to 1366x768 and I have the latest set of drivers. The OS is Win 7 64-bit. The TV brand is Dynex 720p purchased a year ago.
I usually set it up as "Extended display". Sometimes, I get the display and sound on TV with resolution upto 1360x768. Sometimes, the TV is recognized as non-PNP monitor (DVI) with 640x480 resolution and I don't get any sound at all. Sometimes, the laptop can't detect the TV.
Is this a HDMI handshake problem?
This is really frustrating. Sometimes I waste 30 mins just for troubleshooting the HDMI output.
I don't think it's a problem with the TV. When I connect the Blu-ray player through HDMI, it works fine.

Tony Morris

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

Seattlegeek,

I had the same issue with the same video card and TV on Friday evening.
After wasting numerous hours trying all the suggestions here and in other forums I did the following and it cured the problem and all is now working - it may have been a fluke, but I don't care as all is still working just fine.

1. Power down the PC and TV.
2. Power on the PC in - pressing the esc key during the boot process. Power on your TV and select the HDMI port that the PC is connected to.
3. Open the "Control Panel" and select "Device Manager."
4. Expand the "Display Adapters" folder, right-click on your display adapter and select "Disable." Your display wil revert to the default monitor with a resolution of 800 x 600.
5. Now this is where the magic occured for me and fixed everything. Abracadabra!! Right-click on your display adapter again and select "Enable." Presto!!
6. You may have to press the Windows + P key and select "Duplicate." Now what is displayed on your PC should be displayed on the TV.

Hopefully this works for you I'm sue that it will fix most other issues of the same sort wherein your PC will not display on the TV via the HDMI port.

Cheers,
Tony Morris
Ontario, Canada