Sign in with
Your question

First Build Help - Gaming/Graphics PC (about $1000)

Last response: in Systems
April 22, 2012 1:51:44 AM

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, so I hope I get everything right. Going to start with a bit of an intro, feel free to skip it if it's not needed / irrelevant, I'm just trying to give the most info I can to help.

For the past few weeks I have been looking to buy a new PC after my last PC's graphic card (Nvidia 8800GTS) fried from overheating. I considered simply replacing the card, but the PC is almost 5 years old, and is only 32 bit, and because I use Adobe and Autodesk softwares for my work, I've been thinking it'd be nice to upgrade and improve performance in my video/3D rendering and such.

My last system was a prebuilt from Best Buy. An HP Pavillion, Q6600 Intel Quad Core and 3 gb of kingston ram (I think that's the brands name). I then upgraded it to include an Antec TruPower 650w psu and a Nvidia 8800 GTS. The system was great, and I figured I'd check out doing the same for my newest system. The problem however, is the case. Both my last 2 PCs died due to overheating (specifically the gpu), and from what I've seen of the prebuilds currently sold at places like BB, I'm worried the same will happen again. Since I plan to upgrade the Case, GPU and PSU anyway I've thought perhaps I'll try building my own. Anyway, I've let my intro run on long enough, onto the important stuff:

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as possible, next week would be good.

Budget Range: Preferably under $1000, but willing to go up to $1200 if it's needed, but certainly no higher.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Graphic Design (Photoshop + 3Dmax), Gaming, Video Watching, Internet, Microsoft Word,

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers (if those even count).

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg or amazon, but any trustworthy site is fine if there are better prices.

Parts Preferences: Intel i5 or i7, Nvidia GTX 550 or 560, Windows 7 64bit

Overclocking: No (I know, I know....I just don't want to)

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I'd like a system that I won't have to worry much (if at all) about it overheating. I'm more about performance then graphics so I don't mind playing my games on low if they will run better and my pc won't overheat. As I said I do a lot of rendering, so a system with good power for that is preferable. Overall I'm looking for something reliable I guess, while still getting a good amount of performance and power for my money.

Let me know if you need any additional information, and thank you in advance for any help you can provide, this community seems really great from what I've browsed the last few days, looking forward to your responses.

April 29, 2012 3:53:32 AM

atomsk88 said:
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, so I hope I get everything right. Going to start with a bit of an intro, feel free to skip it if it's not needed / irrelevant, I'm just trying to give the most info I can to help.

For the past few weeks I have been looking to buy a new PC after my last PC's graphic card (Nvidia 8800GTS) fried from overheating. I considered simply replacing the card, but the PC is almost 5 years old, and is only 32 bit, and because I use Adobe and Autodesk softwares for my work, I've been thinking it'd be nice to upgrade and improve performance in my video/3D rendering and such.

My last system was a prebuilt from Best Buy. An HP Pavillion, Q6600 Intel Quad Core and 3 gb of kingston ram (I think that's the brands name). I then upgraded it to include an Antec TruPower 650w psu and a Nvidia 8800 GTS. The system was great, and I figured I'd check out doing the same for my newest system. The problem however, is the case. Both my last 2 PCs died due to overheating (specifically the gpu), and from what I've seen of the prebuilds currently sold at places like BB, I'm worried the same will happen again. Since I plan to upgrade the Case, GPU and PSU anyway I've thought perhaps I'll try building my own. Anyway, I've let my intro run on long enough, onto the important stuff....

Additional Comments: I'd like a system that I won't have to worry much (if at all) about it overheating. I'm more about performance then graphics so I don't mind playing my games on low if they will run better and my pc won't overheat. As I said I do a lot of rendering, so a system with good power for that is preferable. Overall I'm looking for something reliable I guess, while still getting a good amount of performance and power for my money.

Let me know if you need any additional information, and thank you in advance for any help you can provide, this community seems really great from what I've browsed the last few days, looking forward to your responses.
$992 at Newegg with $50 in mail in rebates:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($117.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.79 @ NCIX US)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($95.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec 650W ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH22NS90B DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $930.26
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-04-28 23:52 EDT-0400)
!