What are desktop.ini files?

Was this post helpful to you?

Running XP Pro SP2 on a new system. Seems almost every file folder or group
in Windows Explorer contains a desktop.ini file.
When deleting Temp Internet Files, the Content IE.5 as well as each of the 4
subfolders contain this file. When trying to delete the TIF tree, Windows
complains about deleting the desktop.ini.
What do these do, does it hurt to delete them or should I leave the folders
with the .ini in them? Do these track info similar to the index.dats?

thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about what desktop files

    "Lexus" wrote:

    > Was this post helpful to you?
    >

    > Running XP Pro SP2 on a new system. Seems almost every file folder or group
    > in Windows Explorer contains a desktop.ini file.
    > When deleting Temp Internet Files, the Content IE.5 as well as each of the 4
    > subfolders contain this file. When trying to delete the TIF tree, Windows
    > complains about deleting the desktop.ini.
    > What do these do, does it hurt to delete them or should I leave the folders
    > with the .ini in them? Do these track info similar to the index.dats?
    >
    > thanks

    http://www.cpcug.org/user/clemenzi/technical/WinExplorer/desktop_ini.htm
    http://www.google.as/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=desktop%2Eini

    In the case of TIFs, deleting the desktop.ini files does no harm.

    Windows complains because normally desktop.ini files are System files.

    No tracking involved with desktop.ini files.

    Some info on Desktop.ini files pieced together from many sources...

    File system folders are commonly displayed with a standard icon and set of
    properties, which specify, for instance, whether or not the folder is
    shared. The Desktop.ini file is a text file that specifies how a file
    system folder will be viewed and handled. The most common use of the
    Desktop.ini file is to assign a custom icon to a folder.

    The desktop.ini can have info that lists the folder as a system file, hidden
    and if deleted, it is recreated on the next boot. The desktop.ini can also
    have info like a UICLSID line that hides the folder in Windows Explorer. And
    a CLSID line that disables the Search utility from searching through the
    folder.

    Also the folder name info can be listed in the desktop.ini. For example,
    the folder Shared Documents becomes just Documents if you remove the
    desktop.ini.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:01D26254-0199-424A-B63F-42709658EFFA@microsoft.com,
    Lexus <Lexus@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Was this post helpful to you?
    >

    > Running XP Pro SP2 on a new system. Seems almost every file folder
    > or group in Windows Explorer contains a desktop.ini file.
    > When deleting Temp Internet Files, the Content IE.5 as well as each
    > of the 4 subfolders contain this file. When trying to delete the TIF
    > tree, Windows complains about deleting the desktop.ini.
    > What do these do, does it hurt to delete them or should I leave the
    > folders with the .ini in them? Do these track info similar to the
    > index.dats?
    >
    > thanks

Configuration Desktop.Ini Windows XP