NiMh batteries pop out

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Trying to charge new batteries and after a couple of minutes they and the
charger jumped off the wall. Happened twice.
I would blame the new batteries but it happened with older ones too on one
occasion.
I'm pretty sure the polarity was as instructed.
What could be the cause and correction? Thanks

--
Bill W.

I wouldn't say it jumped off the wall, I would maybe way it fell out of
the outlet, if that's the case then either use an extention cord (and
could then lay the charger down so the batteries couldn't fall-out
either if that's a problem) or bend the plug-in some so it fits snug
into the outlet.

Having the polarity reversed would not make it jump off the wall
(sorry, it doesn't have enough intelligence to do that) :) It could
do nothing, or ruin the battery and/or charger, but I don't think you'd
see any electrcial energy being converted to kinetic energy by it
spontanously jumping off the wall...if it actually did then package
that thing up and sell it on ebay as a possessed charger.. :)

Good Luck..
-Mark

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:43:49 -0400, Bill wrote:

> Trying to charge new batteries and after a couple of minutes they and the
> charger jumped off the wall. Happened twice.
> I would blame the new batteries but it happened with older ones too on one
> occasion.
> I'm pretty sure the polarity was as instructed.
> What could be the cause and correction? Thanks

I've had batteries pop out certain chargers, and it's the fault of
charger (poor design), not the batteries. On the other hand, I've
never had the charger jump off the wall. That could be eliminated
by plugging the charger into a cheap, short extension cord. Unless
you replace the charger, if yours is similar to the ones I've used
that encouraged batteries to pop out, a small rubber or elastic band
would keep the batteries secure. The polarity shouldn't have been a
problem. Take a closer look at the charger. Unless it's fairly
old, it will be designed such that if a battery is inserted
backwards, the battery's base (negative terminal) will not make
electrical contact with the charger's circuit. The battery won't
get charged, but it's protected from being damaged. Even if the
battery is inserted backwards and you don't notice it, one of the
charging LEDs should fail to light. This reminder isn't always
possible with cheap chargers, that use a single LED to display the
state of multiple charging circuits.