Windows 7 takes 10+ minutes to boot

calevera

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Hi,

Just recently purchased a new computer. i7 2600k CPU, GTX550 Ti graphics card and 32GB RAM. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit Pro and am booting from an SSD. I have an audio interface connected via USB2 port on boot up. I've seen videos online where it can take about 25 seconds to boot win 7 with SSD but I am getting no where near that.

Could I please get some suggestions or solutions to this problem.

Many thanks in advance!

skaz

Distinguished
32GB of RAM!? What will you be using this computer for?

Yeah, with an SSD you should be getting dramatically better boot times then 10 plus minutes.

What is the make and model of your SSD? Have you updated your motherboard drivers, and SSD firmware?

Make sure all your RAM modules are seated correctly, and run Memtest. (OS loads into RAM during Boot)

calevera

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
SSD is a Corsair Force Series 3 90GB. I've updated my motherboard with the latest drivers. Couldn't find any firmware downloads for the SSD. How do I run a Memtest? I'll check it out anyway. Oh, and I'll be using my computer for music production. 32GB is a bit overkill but I will be using Huge VSTi's (Hollywood Strings is over 300GB by itself) so hopefully it allows for a smooth music composition process without having to record tracks separately.

skaz

Distinguished

No problem. Wonder how it fixed itself. Let us know if you ever find out what is. You might want to look into setting up a Ramdisk. Have fun with your new computer!

That or the system was installing\configuring some windows updates in the background or something similar. Windows has a way of not telling you when it is doing something during the boot process instead of giving you a prompt to let you know something is going on !

calevera

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

Yes, i unplugged my USB connected Audio Interface. I'm not sure if that's what did it but I think it played a part. I've kept it unplugged upon boot up since and things seem to be going smoothly.

calevera

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

The thing is it is not consistent with boot up times. Sometimes it will take 20 secs and others it can take 2 mins.

calevera

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Thanks a lot. I'll try the windows update. I didn't want to connect my new computer to the net but it looks like i'll have to...
edit: seems the latest drivers and important updates do nothing to the boot times...