Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Advice on purchasing gaming/work comp

Last response: in Systems
April 22, 2012 1:55:49 AM

I would like to purchase a computer that can handle most games at decent settings and can also be used for work purposes. I am not interested in building a computer from scratch though, but I will consider swapping out parts if need be.

This is the one I'm interested in: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX37273

Note that it does not come with an OS.

Could anyone please adivce me whether this is a good choice? I've compared this with some of the ones available on newegg.ca (I live in Canada) in the same price range ($750 - 1000) and they generally have a poor balance, such as poor CPU, PSU, etc. But if anyone does suggest a part to swap out, please link to an item you prefer from Memory Express, which is what I've linked from above. You could also link from newegg.ca if you don't see it in ME.

Thanks in advance.
a b 4 Gaming
April 22, 2012 2:23:47 AM

It's easier if you cut/paste specs like this:

Specifications
Processor Intel® Core® i5 2500K Processor <-- Good choice
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V LE Motherboard <--z68 chipset good choice given the overclockable i5-2500K processor.
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB Graphics Card <-- Good choice for light/medium gaming. If you want to high end game then bad choice, it's a $100 that you will need to replace. I like this card and have two of them in PCs, but it's not high end.
Memory G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory <-- plenty
Hard Drive 500GB 7200RPM SATA <-- small, you will eventually want more. Not bad for now. Flooding in Thailand has upset disk prices, they will return to normal (drop another 30%) over next 6 months.
Optical Drive 22x DVD+/-RW
Chassis Velocity IW-C583T Mid Tower
Power Supply Power Man 500W Power Supply (3x18A on 12V) <-- probably the only suspect part
Operating System No Operating System <-- Add another $100 to price. Ask if they can get you win7 cheaper. You want 64 bit.
m
l
April 22, 2012 2:38:31 AM

tsnor said:
It's easier if you cut/paste specs like this:

Specifications
Processor Intel® Core® i5 2500K Processor <-- Good choice
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V LE Motherboard <--z68 chipset good choice given the overclockable i5-2500K processor.
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB Graphics Card <-- Good choice for light/medium gaming. If you want to high end game then bad choice, it's a $100 that you will need to replace. I like this card and have two of them in PCs, but it's not high end.
Memory G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory <-- plenty
Hard Drive 500GB 7200RPM SATA <-- small, you will eventually want more. Not bad for now. Flooding in Thailand has upset disk prices, they will return to normal (drop another 30%) over next 6 months.
Optical Drive 22x DVD+/-RW
Chassis Velocity IW-C583T Mid Tower
Power Supply Power Man 500W Power Supply (3x18A on 12V) <-- probably the only suspect part
Operating System No Operating System <-- Add another $100 to price. Ask if they can get you win7 cheaper. You want 64 bit.

Thanks for the detailed reply. What seems to be the problem with the power supply?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
April 22, 2012 1:49:08 PM

Power supplies are one place where builders cut corners. There are no standards for rating them, so people just make it up. In the real world a good 300 watt power supply can often works where a cheaply made 500w power supply fails.

Power supplies are tricky. Here is a review of a $60 coolmax 750W PSU. Your cost less. "...Coolmax CUL-750B 750 W burned while we tried to pull 500 W from it at high temperatures. It burned exactly on the same point our first sample burned. The components that burned were one of the switching transistors and one of the +12 V rectifiers. Therefore, this unit shouldn’t be labeled as a 750 W unit, but as 475 W instead. Note that this unit has no protections to prevent it from burning. On next page we will show you the video from this power supply burning when delivering 500 W."... http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Coolmax-CUL-750B...

I put down 'suspect because' I was too lazy to google for reviews. No reviews is a really bad sign for power supplies.

Good news, you question made me google and find this http://****/wp/2011/04/15/in-winpower-man-ip-s400cq2-0-400w-review/ which says the power supply is OK (not great, but OK). I wouldn't attempt to drive it hard, and if the PC becomes unstable over time the first part I'd suspect is the Power supply. I wouldn't go crazy overclocking your i5-2500K or the 5770-- the more load the more apt you are to get bad stuff from the PSU. However your PC pulls around 200w maxed out so you have some headroom.

A bad power supply would have been something like this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-pow...

Here is a power supply discussion that is good reading if you are interested: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Why-99-Percent-o...

April 22, 2012 2:08:46 PM

Best answer selected by precursoris.
m
l
!