No HDMI signal/something else

Magfaster

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
My computer worked before I installed my drivers and put in a new hard drive. I'm afraid I messed everything up by installing the drivers and not turning the computer back on to apply the settings. Instead, I turned it off and then plugged in my hard drive to the motherboard, which I required me to take out my graphics card to reach the sata input things. Now I'm not getting an HDMI/DVI/everything signal. I've tried all the HDMI/DVI inputs available. My OS is on my SSD. I also tried booting up without the graphics card in.

I made a video of it starting up, if that makes the diagnoses any easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqcPltqG3oM&feature=plcp&context=C4412e23VDvjVQa1PpcFNd_x3EkjighSCpm96yvA7PzNT-ULl9TpE%3D

justindadswell

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
What is your Mobo make. If you are still not able to get this to work, the make would help me help you more. There is also the possibility of unplugging the comp for 24 hours and leave the battery out for that time. Often that fixes my problems, just a real pain.

justindadswell

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Ok start by removing excess parts. Remove HDD, DVD, anything. Just leave Video (use DVI if possible - looks VGA only, avoid HDMI until your computer posts), mouse/keyboard, and power. Now starting in the upper right hand corner of your motherboard. Hold the memOk! button until the LED near it starts flashing. Now disable both the EPU and TPU switches(they may already be disabled). Next take out a ram stick leaving only one stick in the very first slot. Now go to the bottom of your motherboard, take the blue jumper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumper_(computing)) and move one to the right. Now Remove the battery from the center of the motherboard and unplug the entire computer for 30 seconds. First replace the power, then battery, then push the power button. This should either reset Cmos or have the computer boot into bios (I am not sure for your model). If your computer boots to bios, then load default, save, and turn off the computer. Eitherway now you move the jumper back to its original possition and boot the computer. If this does not work start over at the beginning, but instead use the other stick of ram (not the stick currently in the computer) and put it into the very last slot.

G

@ 1:10 in the video you had a signal; the asus logo appeared.

press del to get in the bios and check your settings.

justindadswell

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
GL magfaster. If you are still stuck at this point and a 24 hour unplug + battery removal does not get you a post. You might be screwed. At that point I start praying and removing things such as CPU and putting it back in just to see if god will have pity.

Magfaster

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

That's just me turning on my asus monitor to show it says HDMI no signal.

G

AH! good catch.
though i did hear a beep but still . . . i know in my asus bios you have to enable the hdmi separately. trying to trouble shoot with a dvi/d-sub plug would help.

edit:
so you get NO post screen? nothing?

Magfaster

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Nothing at all.

I've been hearing that beep even when it works.

My manual for my mobo says:

One short beep :
VGA detected (Makes the sound even without a graphics card in)
Quick boot set to disabled (IDK what this is)
No keyboard detected (Plugged in + lights up)

G

one beep is good; means no bios related issues.

plug into the onboard hdmi after resetting the cmos. my board has a jumper; setting it on pins 2,3 for 15 seconds then back to pins 1,2 while the computer is unplugged.

i believe your is the same with the jumper on the lower right corner by the usb headers.

it would be better if you had a DVI or D-Sub plug for you monitor do you?

Magfaster

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

In the OP I stated I'm not getting a DVI signal either.

G

i'm sorry, bouncing around on a few thread.

the new drive, a SSD?
is the OS still on a platter?
could you just unplug the new drive and still boot?
at least to the POST screen?

should i shut up and leave you alone?

Magfaster

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
SSD is my old drive (Floods made it a better option at the time)
Hard drive is the new one.

Unplugging the new drive does nothing ;/.

The computer turns off with just a small press instead of holding it.

G

reseting the CMOS is a painless and worry free process.

unplug the computer and move the jumper over for a minute or remove the battery, same thing. just touch the computer case metal before putting your hands on the circuit board to ground yourself.

justindadswell

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Just make sure you are careful and don't bend the pins with the jumper. All it should do is reset Cmos to factory, 99% of the time anyways. If you are really worried, remove the battery and unplug for a day and this 100% resets Cmos. That will reset the Cmos without a chance of you messing anything up. I think you should do it yourself though, much better learning experience.

justindadswell

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
My process, to try to make sure I cover everything. Move Jumper, unplug comp for 30 seconds. Plug back in, turn on. If posts to bios load default, save, and turn off. If it does not post (and this is normal) make sure comp is off. Then in both situations move jumper back and turn on.

G

ASUS_Jumper.jpg

see that blue box? between the blue and white headers?
unplug your computer its on pins 1 &2. move it to pins 2 &3 for thirty to sixty seconds. move it back, plug your comp back in

TRENDING THREADS