Sign in with
Your question

No HDMI signal/something else

Last response: in Systems
April 22, 2012 3:16:25 AM

My computer worked before I installed my drivers and put in a new hard drive. I'm afraid I messed everything up by installing the drivers and not turning the computer back on to apply the settings. Instead, I turned it off and then plugged in my hard drive to the motherboard, which I required me to take out my graphics card to reach the sata input things. Now I'm not getting an HDMI/DVI/everything signal. I've tried all the HDMI/DVI inputs available. My OS is on my SSD. I also tried booting up without the graphics card in.

I made a video of it starting up, if that makes the diagnoses any easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqcPltqG3oM&feature=plcp...

More about : hdmi signal

April 22, 2012 3:33:08 AM

Misread. Find your reset button to reset Cmos take out your battery, unplug your computer for 30 seconds while holding that button down.
m
l
April 22, 2012 3:34:33 AM

How do I do all that if I can't get to the start menu?
m
l
Related resources
April 22, 2012 3:39:22 AM

What is your Mobo make. If you are still not able to get this to work, the make would help me help you more. There is also the possibility of unplugging the comp for 24 hours and leave the battery out for that time. Often that fixes my problems, just a real pain.
m
l
April 22, 2012 3:43:36 AM

I also see from your video you have 4 sticks of ram in, you should try with only one. Then change the stick and try a new slot if that does not work.
m
l
April 22, 2012 3:44:12 AM

It's a ASUS P8Z68-V Pro...That's 2 sticks of ram.
m
l
April 22, 2012 4:10:50 AM

Ok start by removing excess parts. Remove HDD, DVD, anything. Just leave Video (use DVI if possible - looks VGA only, avoid HDMI until your computer posts), mouse/keyboard, and power. Now starting in the upper right hand corner of your motherboard. Hold the memOk! button until the LED near it starts flashing. Now disable both the EPU and TPU switches(they may already be disabled). Next take out a ram stick leaving only one stick in the very first slot. Now go to the bottom of your motherboard, take the blue jumper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumper_(computing)) and move one to the right. Now Remove the battery from the center of the motherboard and unplug the entire computer for 30 seconds. First replace the power, then battery, then push the power button. This should either reset Cmos or have the computer boot into bios (I am not sure for your model). If your computer boots to bios, then load default, save, and turn off the computer. Eitherway now you move the jumper back to its original possition and boot the computer. If this does not work start over at the beginning, but instead use the other stick of ram (not the stick currently in the computer) and put it into the very last slot.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 4:14:52 AM

@ 1:10 in the video you had a signal; the asus logo appeared.

press del to get in the bios and check your settings.
m
l
April 22, 2012 4:23:03 AM

GL magfaster. If you are still stuck at this point and a 24 hour unplug + battery removal does not get you a post. You might be screwed. At that point I start praying and removing things such as CPU and putting it back in just to see if god will have pity.
m
l
April 22, 2012 4:24:10 AM

Anonymous said:
@ 1:10 in the video you had a signal; the asus logo appeared.

press del to get in the bios and check your settings.

That's just me turning on my asus monitor to show it says HDMI no signal.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 4:26:05 AM

AH! good catch.
though i did hear a beep but still . . . i know in my asus bios you have to enable the hdmi separately. trying to trouble shoot with a dvi/d-sub plug would help.

edit:
so you get NO post screen? nothing?
m
l
April 22, 2012 4:32:20 AM

Nothing at all.

I've been hearing that beep even when it works.

My manual for my mobo says:

One short beep :
VGA detected (Makes the sound even without a graphics card in)
Quick boot set to disabled (IDK what this is)
No keyboard detected (Plugged in + lights up)
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 4:50:15 AM

one beep is good; means no bios related issues.

plug into the onboard hdmi after resetting the cmos. my board has a jumper; setting it on pins 2,3 for 15 seconds then back to pins 1,2 while the computer is unplugged.

i believe your is the same with the jumper on the lower right corner by the usb headers.

it would be better if you had a DVI or D-Sub plug for you monitor do you?
m
l
April 22, 2012 4:53:55 AM

Anonymous said:
one beep is good; means no bios related issues.

plug into the onboard hdmi after resetting the cmos. my board has a jumper; setting it on pins 2,3 for 15 seconds then back to pins 1,2 while the computer is unplugged.

i believe your is the same with the jumper on the lower right corner by the usb headers.

it would be better if you had a DVI or D-Sub plug for you monitor do you?

In the OP I stated I'm not getting a DVI signal either.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 4:57:52 AM

i'm sorry, bouncing around on a few thread.

the new drive, a SSD?
is the OS still on a platter?
could you just unplug the new drive and still boot?
at least to the POST screen?

should i shut up and leave you alone?
m
l
April 22, 2012 5:10:20 AM

SSD is my old drive (Floods made it a better option at the time)
Hard drive is the new one.

Unplugging the new drive does nothing ;/.

The computer turns off with just a small press instead of holding it.

m
l
April 22, 2012 5:20:05 AM

Did you follow the instructions I gave you? That will check everything in one quick sweep.
m
l
April 22, 2012 5:25:52 AM

I plan to if nothing else works, thanks justin.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 5:30:55 AM

if you NEED to start from scratch:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

a check list. but i hope it will be as simple as going back to your last working configuration and then re-installing the hard drive again.

no reason to throw the baby out with the bath water. :) 
m
l
April 22, 2012 6:08:18 AM

Feels bad man.

I will probably have to reset my CMOS.

Is there any way I can mess this up?
I've never done this before.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 6:14:35 AM

reseting the CMOS is a painless and worry free process.

unplug the computer and move the jumper over for a minute or remove the battery, same thing. just touch the computer case metal before putting your hands on the circuit board to ground yourself.
m
l
April 22, 2012 6:15:23 AM

Just make sure you are careful and don't bend the pins with the jumper. All it should do is reset Cmos to factory, 99% of the time anyways. If you are really worried, remove the battery and unplug for a day and this 100% resets Cmos. That will reset the Cmos without a chance of you messing anything up. I think you should do it yourself though, much better learning experience.
m
l
April 22, 2012 6:25:01 AM

Is that it? Just moving the pins one over and leaving it like that for a bit? Do I need to replug my computer without turning it on for it to reset?
m
l
April 22, 2012 6:28:18 AM

My process, to try to make sure I cover everything. Move Jumper, unplug comp for 30 seconds. Plug back in, turn on. If posts to bios load default, save, and turn off. If it does not post (and this is normal) make sure comp is off. Then in both situations move jumper back and turn on.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 6:47:53 AM

see that blue box? between the blue and white headers?
unplug your computer its on pins 1 &2. move it to pins 2 &3 for thirty to sixty seconds. move it back, plug your comp back in
m
l
April 23, 2012 11:29:56 PM

Simply moving the pins didn't work.
Taking the battery for 30 hours out didn't work.
First start up no display/keyboard/mouse detected (no beep)
2nd start up turned on then back off then on again (1 beep)
3rd start up seemed normal (1 beep)
Gfx card is still out
boot device led is on.

Still no display w/ dvi or hdmi.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 U Graphics card
April 23, 2012 11:58:44 PM

reseat ALL your connections: 24 pin power, cpu power . . . check that you have clearance with the stand offs your motherboard is on. you may have knocked something off moving cables around installing your SSD. go through this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

i know it seems like an overkill but better to check by physically unplugging and plugging back in to be sure.
m
l
April 24, 2012 12:25:44 AM

Reseated everything
No luck

Boot device led is still on.
m
l
!