Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Computer
  • Graphics Cards
  • HP Pavilion
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2012 10:03:54 PM

I have an older HP Pavilion a1487c running windows XP. I replaced the stock video card with a GE Force gt 520 so my son can run his games. Now the system freezes and shuts down randomly. Wondering if it is the power supply, overheating or?

More about : replace graphic card computer freezes shuts

Best solution

February 13, 2012 10:23:13 PM

Well it could be a number of things. Usually best to get an idea of when it freezes. Such as; computer idle, computer running regular not demanding software like word, excel, etc, computer running games=most power required+most video resources required.

I am guessing you installed the most current video card driver for XP, you can get it from nvidia.com for free.

Power supply could also cause problem, like when running games. More power required for intesive graphics. you can try to use this calulator for a quick idea if your power supply has enough wattage. http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

Your current power supply should have a sticker on it showing available output in watts or voltage and current.
a c 92 U Graphics card
February 13, 2012 10:27:37 PM

sounds like a power supply problem but you should also check the temperatures with some kind of software if you can.
m
l
Related resources
February 14, 2012 3:06:56 AM

Computer was freezing and shutting down whether running demanding software or not. I've re-installed the drivers from the website to see if that makes a difference vs. the driver downloaded from the disk that came with it. Does not seem overly hot as the cooling fans are not running excessively.
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
February 14, 2012 3:10:40 AM

probably power supply.
m
l
February 17, 2012 5:03:50 PM

thank you both for your answers. I downloaded the updated drivers which put an end to the freezing and shutting down, but it still seemed clunky. I put in a new, larger power supply and all is hunky dory now.
m
l
February 17, 2012 5:04:32 PM

thank you both for your answers. I downloaded the updated drivers which put an end to the freezing and shutting down, but it still seemed clunky. I put in a new, larger power supply and all is hunky dory now.
m
l
February 27, 2012 3:13:52 PM

Best answer selected by cbbrand.
m
l
!