Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

550-600 Video Editing/Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 22, 2012 4:56:21 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: This week
Budget Range: 550-600; Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video Editing, Gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon(no tax), newegg
Country: United States

Parts Preferences: any preferred brand

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1600x900

Additional Comments: None
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 22, 2012 5:27:08 AM

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 $44.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Intel Core i5-2400 $189.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MSI H67A-G43 (B3) $84.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 $40.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Galaxy 52GGS4HX9DTX GeForce GT 520 $49.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB $84.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
COOLER MASTER Elite 311 $39.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$535.93 w/o the $5.99 shipping for the case and if i missed other shipping charges.

upgrade to:
GIGABYTE GV-N550D5-1GI GeForce GTX 550 Ti $119.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$605.93

m
0
l
April 22, 2012 6:11:59 AM

Can ivy bridge be a better buy?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
April 22, 2012 6:25:01 AM

lifeonrice said:
Can ivy bridge be a better buy?


I don't know all the Ivy models yet and I don't know if any i3 models are in the works or will be available initially.

The build above is a good start but I wouldn't buy a GPU that cheap - video editing is CPU intensive but it's also GPU intensive and the 520 is only meant for like an HTPC where you won't need that kind of horsepower anyways. You don't want to overload your CPU with a cheap GPU - I've done that and I realize what buying a slow GPU can do for your system.

Try this:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 - $39.99
PSU: Corsair CX600 V2 - $69.99 ($20.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 - $121.99
CPU: 3.3GHz Intel Core i3-2120 - $127.99
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 1333MHz 1.5V - $41.99
HD: Seagate Barracuda ST 500GB - $79.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: Radeon HD 6850 - $149.99 ($15.00 MIR)

Total: $649.92 - $35.00 = $614.92

A little bit over budget but you don't compromise on CPU, GPU, or PSU.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 22, 2012 6:27:41 AM

as far as an ivy bridge CPU . .IF you are going to convert videos to upload to youtube using quicksync then that will make a difference. but for anything else, not really.

an ivy bridge motherboard, such as the H77 motherboard, i personally am not overly excited about the native pci 3.0 or usb3 which the H67/Z68 and some H61 boards have also from a third party chip. just a couple of bells and whistles that just make it a few dollars more.

but some people will rant and rave about them just because they are "new" :p 
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
April 22, 2012 6:30:34 AM

Anonymous said:
as far as an ivy bridge CPU . .IF you are going to convert videos to upload to youtube using quicksync then that will make a difference. but for anything else, not really.

an ivy bridge motherboard, such as the H77 motherboard, i personally am not overly excited about the native pci 3.0 or usb3 which the H67/Z68 and some H61 boards have also from a third party chip. just a couple of bells and whistles that just make it a few dollars more.

but some people will rant and rave about them just because they are "new" :p 


Yeah it's the "new car smell" of PC equipment. :lol: 

We'll see what happens in a year from now when people trade their Ivy Bridge machines for Haswell. I'll probably join the Ivy bandwagon depending on what the benchmarks produce or wait for Haswell - that remains to be seen.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 22, 2012 6:32:39 AM

g-unit1111 said:
I don't know all the Ivy models yet and I don't know if any i3 models are in the works or will be available initially.

The build above is a good start but I wouldn't buy a GPU that cheap - video editing is CPU intensive but it's also GPU intensive and the 520 is only meant for like an HTPC where you won't need that kind of horsepower anyways. You don't want to overload your CPU with a cheap GPU - I've done that and I realize what buying a slow GPU can do for your system.

Try this:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 - $39.99
PSU: Corsair CX600 V2 - $69.99 ($20.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 - $121.99
CPU: 3.3GHz Intel Core i3-2120 - $127.99
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 1333MHz 1.5V - $41.99
HD: Seagate Barracuda ST 500GB - $79.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: Radeon HD 6850 - $149.99 ($15.00 MIR)

Total: $649.92 - $35.00 = $614.92

A little bit over budget but you don't compromise on CPU, GPU, or PSU.


i am not going to debate about the gpu. the 550ti is MUCH better. however, seriously, video editing would be hampered with a dual core as opposed to a quad.

or i would gleefully suggested a i3 and found other better components.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 6:43:07 AM

To expand on Looniam, you need a 6-core. This is where the AMD shine. I do graphics rendering and a little video editing, for this a better Processor is more important then anything. For gaming a better GPU.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 6:44:19 AM

it's so much temptation to either go with an FX-4100 + HD6850 or a Intel Core i5 3570k (ivy bridge) with Intel HD 4000, would the PCI Express 3.0 worth getting this year or wait till the future?
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 6:47:14 AM

*Another note

8GB vs 4GB Ram?I tend to close all programs when I'm focused on a single program.. I just want a performance boost on video editing/gaming from a intel pentium dual core e5300 + hd 5570 + 4gb ram
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
April 22, 2012 6:48:18 AM

justindadswell said:
To expand on Looniam, you need a 6-core. This is where the AMD shine, I do graphics rendering and little video editing. A better Processor is more important then anything.


The bad thing is that AMD discontinued production of all the decent six core CPUs - the only ones we have are the crappy FX-6100.

Quote:


i am not going to debate about the gpu. the 550ti is MUCH better. however, seriously, video editing would be hampered with a dual core as opposed to a quad.


That it might be but on a $600 build I wouldn't compromise on motherboard or anything else. A good GPU is only as good as the hardware that surrounds it. My work PC I'm running an i3-2120 and an older Radeon 5830 and I can do tasks in like 1/2 the time of systems where it would take like an hour - and I use Adobe and Autodesk products a lot.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 22, 2012 6:51:09 AM

g-unit1111 said:
That it might be but on a $600 build I wouldn't compromise on motherboard or anything else. A good GPU is only as good as the hardware that surrounds it. My work PC I'm running an i3-2120 and an older Radeon 5830 and I can do tasks in like 1/2 the time of systems where it would take like an hour - and I use Adobe and Autodesk products a lot.


i bow down to your real world experience.[:lutfij:3]
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
April 22, 2012 6:59:25 AM

Anonymous said:
i bow down to your real world experience.[:lutfij:3]


I've learned a lot in the time I've been coming here - at first I had no idea how important choosing a good power supply was - and that the OEM behind a PSU could determine whether or not it would blow up in your face or not - now I recognize it as one of the most important parts of any build and I won't make that mistake again. The GPU's just as important as everything else in the build as it can make or break a build's performance. I test a lot of products and I wouldn't give out lies or false information and if I do I'm the first to admit it. :lol: 
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 22, 2012 7:12:21 AM

g-unit1111 said:
I've learned a lot in the time I've been coming here - at first I had no idea how important choosing a good power supply was - and that the OEM behind a PSU could determine whether or not it would blow up in your face or not - now I recognize it as one of the most important parts of any build and I won't make that mistake again. The GPU's just as important as everything else in the build as it can make or break a build's performance. I test a lot of products and I wouldn't give out lies or false information and if I do I'm the first to admit it. :lol: 


and when someone will make a reasonable claim about real world experiences, i'll give way. too many internet experts already. i have screwed around with adobe products but not professionally. still i may understand something, but it doesn't mean i know how to do it.

btw, next week end its gonna be GO TRIBE!
:lol: 
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 8:36:28 AM

will a 1.65v 8gb ddr3 would work on an asus m5a97?
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 6:11:13 PM

Case with USB III in front panel

COUGAR Solution Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with 12cm COUGAR TURBINE HYPER-SPIN Bearing Silent Fan and USB 3.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

High quality 80+ PSU

Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

6 Core CPU will help with multithread programs. This one is also a great overclocker!

AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A great motherboard with everything you'll need!

ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The cheapest 8GB 1600MHz kit :p 

Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PGD38G1600ELK
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A powerful enough GPU to run anything at your monitor's resolution!

XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And because a SSD doesn't fit in the budget, a hybrid HDD seems the best option!

Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


SUM 637$ without MIR
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 7:28:18 PM

can you guys give me parts that all have free shipping?
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 7:03:22 AM

lifeonrice said:
*Another note

8GB vs 4GB Ram?I tend to close all programs when I'm focused on a single program.. I just want a performance boost on video editing/gaming from a intel pentium dual core e5300 + hd 5570 + 4gb ram


A damn good processor for processing power (6 core at least, if not 8) and a minimum of an 8GB RAM (ideally 16 GB) are essential for video work. Ivy bridge is likely to improve the performance; it is a 22nm. I would wait for a review, which should hit Tom's sooner than later.

You may overlock if your chosen processor and mobo would allow that.

In my personal opinion, you may need to grab a good after-market cooler. I would consider throwing in a Corsair H100 or a Noctua NH-D14. I am not sure if your budget would allow this cooler or if you would consider increasing your budget by a couple of hundred dollars, if not increase it to $1000.

Finally, I would suggest a good IPS screen. They are expensive but the money would be well worth spent.
m
0
l
!