Sign in with
Your question

Computer shuts off under stress

Last response: in Systems
April 22, 2012 5:25:51 AM

With normal use my computer does fine...but during gameplay or stress tests it completely shuts off without restarting. I can't figure out whats causing this to happen. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :sol: 

More about : computer shuts stress

a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2012 8:01:29 AM

if it only happens under stress, I would suspect the PSU or a heat issue with the GPU or CPU. Post your computer specs. CPU.GPU, and PSU brands a model names.

Do you have it plugged in to a UPS? watt is the wattage and or Volt Amps of the UPS.

down load CPU-z and GPU-z and set them to record temps. that play and after it shuts down reboot and look at the logs.

m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2012 12:18:41 PM

NOT ENOUGH WATTAGE PROBABLY BECAUSE *** HAPPENS WHEN THEY AINT NO POWER YGM?
m
l
Related resources
April 22, 2012 6:31:32 PM

gpu= gtx 560 ti twin frozr ii 1gb gddr5 OC edition (just installed this last night but the problem was occuring before installation)

cpu= core 2 quad q8400

psu= corsair tx650 watt (If UPS is a backup power supply, there isnt one in place)

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2012 7:42:57 PM

I looked at the cpu-z report and line 394 caught my eye... 9.94 volts.... if thats your 12 volt rail then thats a problem. I would download fanspeed and check out your voltages there.
m
l
April 22, 2012 9:06:26 PM

I just switched out the psu to see if its my psu and it still shut down after only a little time of gaming. I also downloaded fanspeed and the 12-volt is only getting 9.94 volts...could this just be a improperly plug in or is it a faulty motherboard or psu
m
l
April 23, 2012 4:26:09 AM

anonymous1 said:
I looked at the cpu-z report and line 394 caught my eye... 9.94 volts.... if thats your 12 volt rail then thats a problem. I would download fanspeed and check out your voltages there.

I posted my results from speedfan below.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2012 4:47:12 AM

If it shuts down like that under stress, the two usual suspects are the PSU or overheating.

Since the problem persists with a different PSU, that leaves overheating. What are your temperatures like?

I wouldn't trust software-based voltage readings, by the way. They're not really accurate at all. If you still suspect the PSU, test it with a multimeter. Although I think the PSU is unlikely, since you've tried another one. (Unless that other one is a 300W cheapo model or something like that).
m
l
April 23, 2012 5:12:38 AM

capt_taco said:
If it shuts down like that under stress, the two usual suspects are the PSU or overheating.

Since the problem persists with a different PSU, that leaves overheating. What are your temperatures like?

I wouldn't trust software-based voltage readings, by the way. They're not really accurate at all. If you still suspect the PSU, test it with a multimeter. Although I think the PSU is unlikely, since you've tried another one. (Unless that other one is a 300W cheapo model or something like that).

lol close it was a 430w thermaltake purepower i believe but we didnt use my new video card we left the power off it and used the onboard nforce 9300series graphics chip. we've attempted to use a multimeter but we were kinda confused with the readings we were getting. and the heat readings i normally get are ridiculous since the damn board would be over 200 degrees Fahrenheit (excuse my spelling if thats wrong)
m
l
April 23, 2012 7:39:44 AM

jiggypopsauce said:
With normal use my computer does fine...but during gameplay or stress tests it completely shuts off without restarting. I can't figure out whats causing this to happen. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :sol: 

Heat is probably the culprit when the CPU is stressed. How old is your PC? Did you throw-in an after-market cooler like Noctua NH-D!4 with Arctic 5 thermal compound? Please ensure it would fit into your case. I would probably try reapplying the thermal paste (Arctic 5) first. Their website gives nice guidelines for applying the thermal paste. You must completely clean the current paste if you want to reapply.
m
l
April 23, 2012 7:44:21 AM

but wouldnt heat issues cause a restart not a complete shut down? I can try the arctic 5 but everything is stock (which means its using intel's horrible fan and heatsink)
m
l
April 23, 2012 7:53:22 AM

A shut down is precautionary to prevent damage to your system. Give Arctic 5 a go and see if it helps...but I sense that you might need an after-market cooler....
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2012 11:00:13 AM

Based on the CPU-Z dump the 12v line is showing 9.94v on it. this is a bad sign. though I don't like trusting software or the sensors they read.

we need to verify this, if the reading are correct I suspect the Voltage Regulator (VR) on your motherboard is going or has gone bad. Since the other PSU didn't stop the crashing I think the PSU is not the problem. but lets test it anyway.

BTW: What does the voltage say in the BIOS?

how to test a ATX PSU
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/power-...

if 12v is being output by the PSU then the VR may be bad we might be able to test using info in the below article.

all about the MB voltage regulator
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Everything-You-N...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2012 11:03:07 AM

if we rule out the 12v being the issue also could be heat ( but the temps in CPU-z looked ok for a stock HSF) like others said or faulty ram.

run memtest86
http://www.memtest86.com/
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2012 11:09:15 AM

^+1 for voltage regulation on the motherboard being fried. Software voltage readings might not be the most accurate, but they aren't /that/ bad that a 12 volt rail which is actually operating in-spec would be 2 volts low.
m
l
April 23, 2012 5:12:51 PM

wow all really great responses ill start with ruling out the 12v problem on the psu and motherboard, then ill run memtest if all is well, i will look into an after market cooler for the cpu. As said before software readings arent 100% accurate but in the situations ive faced the cpu temps on the programs arent far off so i suspect it might not be that. I might be a bit before i can post back though, now that the weekend is over
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2012 8:18:56 PM

jiggypopsauce said:
but wouldnt heat issues cause a restart not a complete shut down? I can try the arctic 5 but everything is stock (which means its using intel's horrible fan and heatsink)

Heat issues cause a sudden complete shutdown with no restart. It shuts down to prevent damage to the components, so it won't come back on until the temperature has gone back down to reasonable levels. That means if you attempt to restart it, you may get either no response or a sudden start-stop for the next several minutes, which is a telltale sign.

From the screenshot you posted, it looked like your CPU was not too bad, but you had one component that was hitting 110C. Probably the video card with a temp that high. GPUs can definitely withstand more heat than other components, but if you're into triple digits, something is wrong, and I believe the trigger for most of them to auto-shutdown is in the 110-120C range.

So - definitely take a look inside the case and see if there' anything obvious that could be causing airflow problems. That could be an obstruction, a dead fan (especially on the GPU itself) or even dust buildup on a machine that old.

If your board has a second PCIe x16 slot that you could put the video card in, I'd also recommend testing it out that way. As others have been getting at, it could be a voltage regulation problem with the motherboard - or, another similar possibility is that the slot itself is going bad and failing to supply enough power. All worth checking out.

If you have another system (or a friend will let you borrow theirs), I'd say a good thing to do would be to try the GPU and PSU in their machine and rule them out as the problem.
m
l
April 23, 2012 11:03:14 PM

It may not even be your computer's problem. The same thing was happening to me but it ended up being the power strip I had everything plugged in to. It wasn't allowing enough power while gaming.

It took me 3 months to realize that was my problem because no one ever suggested it, lol. I was too busy looking at my actual computer parts and only recently thought to look at what I was plugged into the wall with.
m
l
April 24, 2012 2:52:48 AM

capt_taco: whenever it shuts down i can power it right back up just fine, also the gtx 560ti i just purchased runs at a perfectly normal temp. my motherboard has an onboard graphics chip which is what i thought was initially the one hitting the 100+ temps, that is why i bought the graphics card to see if that would have stopped the problem. ngapple936, good suggestion but i have tried it on multiple different outlets in my room and my cousins house.

As i mentioned before im gonna go ahead and do a bunch of the tests suggested on thursday (soonest i have free time) and let you guys know some of the results i get

thank you all for helping me along through this it is very aggravating and i greatly appreciate your time
m
l
!