Sign in with
Your question

Amd Phenom x4 965 Black Edition

Last response: in CPUs
August 4, 2012 11:09:07 AM

Hi guys,
i have a problem with my new cpu. You see yesterday i bought Amd Phenom x4 965 BE, Asus M5A78L-MLX V2 and Corsair CX430 Builder Seriers 80+ bla bla. And when today i tried to launch it with 2x4gigs of ram and XFX Radeon HD6770 and no screen appeared on my monitor.
My question :
what the hack is goin on?!
I'm sure it's not my PSU fault cause many people assured me that this PSU can even handle Phenom X6 series (without OC).
Pleeeaaaaaseeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp.
Thank you.
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2012 2:26:32 PM

Take the side of your case and make sure that the power lead is plugged into the HD6770, also make sure the 4/8pin CPU power plug in hooked into the Motherboard along with the 24pin power.
August 4, 2012 2:30:44 PM

I checked that. Thanks for reply :) 
Related resources
August 4, 2012 2:53:58 PM

Check for a POST beep to see if your POSTing. If you hear the usual 1 beep, the problem probably lies with you GPU.
August 4, 2012 3:41:48 PM

Fender0246 said:
Check for a POST beep to see if your POSTing. If you hear the usual 1 beep, the problem probably lies with you GPU.

I get no beep. I only hear coolers and what's interesting it's like slower-faster-slower-faster...ecc.
August 4, 2012 5:43:55 PM

Fender0246 said:
OK. Ignore what I said. Just noticed your board does not support that CPU.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A78LM_LX...

That mobo only supports CPU's up to 95W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The 965 BE is a 125W CPU. I believe there in lies your problem.

I know that this one doesn't .........
and that's way i bought V2 of that mobo
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A78LM_LX...
i wrote that... i think in my question.
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2012 7:10:52 PM

Have you tried booting with the onboard video? That would rule out the GPU. Failing that the motherboard is probably the problem, go an RMA it.

But ASUS does say that it supports the 965, that is the first motherboard ever that I've seen with a 3+1 VRM that can handle 125watt CPUs. ASUS must be using witchcraft with this board, as usually boards with 3+1 VRMs only support 95watt CPUs, unless they've just settled for a 4 phase VRM without the +1 bit
August 4, 2012 10:49:55 PM

Apologies, google fail
August 4, 2012 11:27:10 PM

The point is that i'm currently using this XFX Radeon. (on my 775 mobo)..
August 5, 2012 12:13:44 AM

Easy, easy. I thought you'd thought that my GC is broken. I'll check that, thanks.
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2012 6:33:22 PM

Well that does sort out the GPU. When you RMA the board and it still doesn't work, try out the RAM if you can, failing that the CPU. If you're planning on overclocking, don't with that board. It must be only just capable of running 125watt CPUs and would probably keel over if made to kick out any more. 4+1 VRM with heatsinks are the minimum for overclocking really. The more mosfets the better you'll be.

If you really really really want to OC with that board get the largest mosfet heatsinks you can and make sure as much air as possible is blowing over them.
August 7, 2012 10:04:11 AM

Quote:
and the point is to remove it and see if the unit works without.
it's called troubleshooting.

get it.?! :heink: 

So i checked and without XFX it works but with it, my Card works slower-faster-slower-faster ecc and no screen.... Heellllp pleeaaseee!!
August 7, 2012 3:01:31 PM

There is something wrong with your GPU. RMA or warranty claim. XFX does have a lifetime warranty on all their cards if you register it on their website so either way I'd get a replacement.
August 7, 2012 3:07:02 PM

I done this the other day, exact same as you. I forgot to plug the main CPU power into the motherboard(not the fan).
August 7, 2012 3:14:01 PM

Alex_L_29 said:
Hi guys,
i have a problem with my new cpu. You see yesterday i bought Amd Phenom x4 965 BE, Asus M5A78L-MLX V2 and Corsair CX430 Builder Seriers 80+ bla bla. And when today i tried to launch it with 2x4gigs of ram and XFX Radeon HD6770 and no screen appeared on my monitor.
My question :
what the hack is goin on?!
I'm sure it's not my PSU fault cause many people assured me that this PSU can even handle Phenom X6 series (without OC).
Pleeeaaaaaseeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp.
Thank you.

On that mobo there is a small green light in the bottom right (underneath the bottom pci slot), is it lit up?
August 7, 2012 3:43:29 PM

ryant704 said:
I done this the other day, exact same as you. I forgot to plug the main CPU power into the motherboard(not the fan).

Viking2121

Take the side of your case and make sure that the power lead is plugged into the HD6770, also make sure the 4/8pin CPU power plug in hooked into the Motherboard along with the 24pin power.

Alex_L_29

~That's been addressed

Alex_L_29

verbalizer wrote :

So i checked and without XFX it works but with it, my Card works slower-faster-slower-faster ecc and no screen.... Heellllp pleeaaseee!!

~ System works with onboard graphics but not with discrete. The problem lies in his 6770.
August 7, 2012 3:48:24 PM

Fender0246 said:
Viking2121

Alex_L_29

~That's been addressed

Alex_L_29

verbalizer wrote :

~ System works with onboard graphics but not with discrete. The problem lies in his 6770.

But my XFX IS working (with other Cpu which is using MUCH less power).
I think i'll buy OCZ ZS 550W. Maybe it will solve the problem.

August 7, 2012 3:57:20 PM

ok, yea, that 6770 needs at least 500W PSU. Musta missed that in OP.
August 7, 2012 4:07:50 PM

And with OCZ ZS 550W 80 , can i be sure that it works???
August 7, 2012 4:18:50 PM

Quote:
no problems and you have room to spare.
you can in reality run the HD 6770 off a 350-watt quality PSU with 1 6-pin plug...

your safe.

Soo my PSU is trouble...
Naah, so i'm buying Ocz ZS 550W...
Pity that i hadn't bought it before. Now i'll loose more money :pt1cable: 
But thanks and i hope you're right.
Bye.
August 7, 2012 6:30:07 PM

Quote:
OCZ 550-watt is very safe for you...

And i won't need any bios update, or sth right? I mean i buy OCZ, plug it in and have fun of my new comp. with no problems?
August 16, 2012 9:34:14 PM

Quote:
no problems I can see...

I bought OCZ 550 and still the same problem....
HELLLP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 16, 2012 10:32:57 PM

Quote:
what's the problem again.?

My graphics card's fan is like slower-faster-slower-faster. But the thing is this card works 100% on different mobo so it's not broken.
Oh and like i said i bought OCZ ZS550W.
August 17, 2012 10:24:15 AM

Quote:
you have the power adapter plugged into card, the HD 6770 requires one I think..

Jesus, of course i have. You take me as a fool ?!
August 17, 2012 8:22:28 PM

I had this very problem about a month ago with my 965BE and hd 7770.

It turned out nothing to do with the GPU. Or the PSU. Or the RAM.

I had the exact same weird GPU fan noise going up and down.

On my PC it turned out the reason why it was not coming on was because both the Motherboard and the Processor had failed. I got unlucky (or did something that broke either component) with them both breaking. My advice to you would be to find a friend of family member who has a compatible system that definitely works fine(you may have to use a PC repair shop). Put your processor into his Mb and his/her processor into yours. If your system with his/her processor in works and his/hers with your processor doesn't, the processor is the problem. If the opposite occurs, the motherboard is the problem. If they both work there is some other problem with your system.

If the motherboard was to be the problem or when they both worked hen you swapped back they didn't, I recommend getting a motherboard that DEFINITELY supports 125w processors and preferably on an AM3+ socket (preferably a 9 series motherboard too).

I hope that what I wrote isn't confusing.

I wish all the best with your system.

Yoyoman
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2013 1:07:12 AM

Sorry, Something is wrong with Tom's Hardware, Im not receiving email notifications of new replies, even tho it is set up that way in my Forum Options.

Anyway, Have you fix the problem? If not, try to take the Ram out and place them back in, see it it boots then, sometimes it will beep and sometimes it wont with bad Ram, Also try just 1 stick at a time in different slots.
!