Sign in with
Your question

GPU HDMI Sound

Last response: in Components
August 4, 2012 1:25:32 PM

I have a GTX 670 connected by HDMI to my Asus ML228 monitor. I am aware most GPU come with digital sound and want to use this to utilize a set of headphones for FSX multiplayer. The monitor only has a single line out for sound. Is there an adapter I can use to get a line in and line out for the GPU sound? Im open to any other suggestions. What I am trying to do is seperate voice communication fom regular in game sounds and a second sound card is needed so I thought why not use the GPU sound. Can this be done. If not should I just get a second sound card and if so will a USB one work or should I get a regular PCI one. Open to any and all ideas. Thanks

More about : gpu hdmi sound

August 4, 2012 1:42:08 PM

Does your motherboard not have onboard sound ?
August 4, 2012 2:09:47 PM

The GPU only outputs sound, you can't use it like you could with sound card with a mic. If you have onboard sound, I would use that instead, More then likley it'll have better sound quality then a video card's hdmi, that was the case with my hd5850 anyway.
Related resources
August 4, 2012 2:27:33 PM

So my best bet is to get a second sound card? Would the Usb ones with a line in and line out work?
August 4, 2012 2:30:30 PM

spentshells said:
Does your motherboard not have onboard sound ?

I do but in FSX multiplayer I want to seperate voice comm from any in game sounds so I need two seperate channels hence two video cards
!