GPU Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloojays23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I was wondering if these GPUs are compatible with my system.
First I have:
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 v2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPU) ~3.1GHz
MB: MSI - MS-7309
Ram: 3070MB
Directx 10
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 220

I'm in really dire need of a new GPU since some games like LoL,Darkness 2 and etc. lag alot. My FPS in LoL drops from 30-50 to around 12 when there's huge team battles which is a a no-no for my type of gaming.

I'm no computer expert so I have no idea what fits or if the GPU is even the main issue for this "lag" or fps drop.

I've been looking into some several cheap GPUs I found on CL that are around the neighborhood. I'm looking on CL because I'm pretty in a rush to find a fast and better GPU than my current one(GF GT 22) and I am not looking for a entirely new setup for serious gaming, just a simple upgrade to keep up my mojo.

Here are the GPU I have been looking at:
NIVIDA 8800 GTS 512
Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB 4X 8X Dual DVI AGP
EVGA GTS 250 Video Card NVIDIA Graphics
radeon hd 6450
ASUS EN8800GT TOP/G/HTDP/512M
ASUS EAH4870 DK TOP/HTDI/512MD5 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
GTX 260 PCI-E Superclocked 896 MB DDR3 2DVI
GeForce 8800 GTS Alpha Dog Edition

Solution

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6770 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

The Ultra LS500, with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps and one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, should be...

bloojays23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I have gotten that question before and I still have not figured what my power supply is. The thing is, when i open the side that reveals the fans,mb,gpu and stuff, the information that's suppose to be visible on the Power Supply box is not shown,instead it is on the other side which is covered by the metal plate where the power supply and motherboard are screwed onto. So if i wanted to know how many watts it had, i would need to unscrew my motherboard and power supply off the metal plate.

And no, i haven't looked at the 450 or 6670 yet. Those GPU were just ones i casually found on CL.

If you guys want, I can post some pics to show you what i mean if you guys are confused.

DM186

Splendid
I believe you. If you were unscrew the other side would not be a good idea. How ever on the back side where you plug in the power cord is 4 screws that hold the power supply in place.

You could do that and just pull it out and write everything down that it shows or take a picture of it and blow it up a bit and post it here or just write on here. You shouldn't have to uuplug anything in side the case.

What brand is your rig? or is it a home build type?

bloojays23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Brand? I'm not sure what brand it is haha. It was built by a cousin of mines just for home use but I threw in a GT 220 to game a bit.

Here is what the motherboard is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130241

And thanks for the tip, I finally got it out to see it's specs.
701365754_2507334289_0.jpg

As you can see it is a 500Watt. Not sure if that is relatively high.

DM186

Splendid

bloojays23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Are any of the other cards I've listed compatible as well?
And can anyone tell me the difference between different brands of the same type?
I see that the XFX,HIS and AMD all have different versions of the HD 6670 but I'm not sure if they're all compatible.

I'm also confused about these 2 cards. What are the differences??
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150577
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150576

DM186

Splendid
Yes all the cards listed either by me or by you will work. Amd makes the chip and all the other manufacturers do the window dressing. You should look at warranty and customer service and cooling.

Cooling is always good. The difference in the cards you just linked to one take up more space like it has two slots and the other one is single space gives you more room to add other stuff. I hope this helps.

Your power supply is the following:

Ultra LS500 Lifetime Series 500W Power Supply
• OEM: Shen Zhen Rui Sheng Yuan Technology
• +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps
• one 6-Pin PCI-Express Connector

A reputable name brand 500 Watt power supply has at least 20% more capacity on its +12V rails and at least two PCI-Express Connectors than what the Ultra LS500 has.

DM186

Splendid

Well that is a nice one and ko888 was telling you that your PSU is a very nice one and it will do the trick for you even if you want to up grade even higher. Good luck to ya.

I didn't say anything of the sort.

The Ultra LS500 is definitely not considered a high quality power supply.

It will work for the graphics card that you've decided to purchase.

It would be questionable if it could even provide enough power if you had decided on getting the NIVIDA 8800 GTS 512 or the GTX 260 PCI-E Superclocked 896 MB DDR3 2DVI or the ASUS EAH4870 DK TOP/HTDI/512MD5 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 that appeared in your list.

DM186

Splendid

I apologize I miss read your post it was late and I was on pain meds from the doctor. After going back today and rereading it I was in the wrong to say what I did as I totally miss understood it sorry sorry.

bloojays23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I'm curous. Would a Radeon HD 6770 work with my PSU? In ko888 post he said my PSU had an "one 6-Pin PCI-Express Connector " which I think isn't used and doesn't the 6770 use just one 6-Pin PCI-Express Connector ? So it would be compatible right?

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6770 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

The Ultra LS500, with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps and one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, should be sufficient.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.

Solution

bloojays23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Ah thanks ko8888. I've looked through countless threads and all i got was mixed results about your system failing, getting your GPU,CPU or PSU damaged if watt was insufficient but now I think i know what i really want.

I'm going to cancel my order on the 6670 and order the 6770. They're pretty much the same price after mail-in rebates on newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.