Your question

Corsair HX850 High Pitch Noise?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Corsair
  • Components
Last response: in Components
August 4, 2012 2:25:52 PM

Hi, I recently bought a new PC and had the HX850 installed. Now, although it's a great PSU I seem to be getting this high pitch noise coming from it when the PC is on. I was wondering whether or not this is a normal trait of the PSU or if it's a problem and I should get a replacement? Or if there is a fix for it?

Any help is appreciated!

More about : corsair hx850 high pitch noise

a c 144 ) Power supply
August 4, 2012 2:40:45 PM

A high pitched whine from the PSU is not a normal condition. It is usually caused by a coil. It does not mean the PSU will fail but it is grounds for an RMA. Corsair requests that before you contact them for RMA, you try these fixes first
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85166
Hope it helps some
a c 165 ) Power supply
August 4, 2012 2:47:08 PM

more then likely a bad coil. it happens even to good PSU, i had an antec true power new with the same issue. I would return the PSU and get a replacement.
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
August 4, 2012 3:30:39 PM

^5 +1 what C12Friedman and ct615 posted.
a b ) Power supply
August 4, 2012 4:44:39 PM

What you're hearing is called coil noise and is the result of the back EMF generated within an inductor which causes it to physically vibrate. At high loads this is normal and is usually masked by the PSU fan or case fans. Coil noise is not a cause for concern but if it is audible at low power draw it may be a cause for an RMA.
August 4, 2012 9:53:01 PM

Pinhedd said:
What you're hearing is called coil noise and is the result of the back EMF generated within an inductor which causes it to physically vibrate. At high loads this is normal and is usually masked by the PSU fan or case fans. Coil noise is not a cause for concern but if it is audible at low power draw it may be a cause for an RMA.

Okay, thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to call the people who sold me the PSU on Monday and I'm atleast glad it isn't a cause for concern :)  Atleast that means I can continue to use the PC until I can work out a fix. Thanks guys!
!