Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Budget Diablo 3 Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 22, 2012 7:51:01 AM

Intel
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Approximate Purchase Date: End of May-Early June

Budget Range: <$800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming and Browsing at the same time.

Parts Required: Everything

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon (USA)

Overclocking: No

Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1080p 23" LCD Monitor @ 1920x1080 Resolution - Has an HDMI port.

Additional Comments:

Want to FULLY Max: Diablo 3, Dota 2, HoN, LoL, and Torchlight 2.

More about : budget diablo build

April 22, 2012 8:55:35 AM

Stick to Intel for gaming. I'd suggest the $600 build in my sig + the SSD.

I play all HoN, LoL, Dota 2 and the Diablo 3 beta, and all take very very little to run. Even the $500 build in my sig can do constant 60+ (120fps most of the time) on those games.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 22, 2012 9:24:06 AM

GuruMenace said:
My problem with my budget is that I need to spend part the budget on a keyboard, windows 7 oem disc, and a wifi adapter since there's no ethernet ports in my college apartment. It's pure wifi.

How should I get this down to <$700?

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...


Link doesnt work.

Like I sad, check the $600 build in my sig. Includes OS. KB + mouse + wifi adapter will cost another $100 making it still under your budget.

If you wand the SSD instead of the HDD, add another $70. Still under budget.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 9:26:32 AM

Zero_ said:
Link doesnt work.

Like I sad, check the $600 build in my sig. Includes OS. KB + mouse + wifi adapter will cost another $100 making it still under your budget.

If you wand the SSD instead of the HDD, add another $70. Still under budget.


http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 9:36:13 AM

Zero_ said:
Get a HD7770 for $139 and a CX430 for $40.


I'm constantly updating that link with the suggestions you are giving me. However, I can't seem to find a proper 7770 for $139. The closet thing is $149.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 9:46:15 AM

It is compatible. The HD7770 is not even fast enough for PCI-E 1.0 let alone 3.0. Get the mobo and HD7770.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 9:50:27 AM

Zero_ said:
It is compatible. The HD7770 is not even fast enough for PCI-E 1.0 let alone 3.0. Get the mobo and HD7770.


What's your reasoning for the 7770 over the 6850/70? The 7770 cards are relatively new and the reviews are very sparce for them. There's no solid reviewed 7770's yet compared to the overabundant 5 star 6850/70's that everyone raves out for being the best budget cards considering price/performance. However, their prices are similar.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 11:37:49 AM

I added an alternative AMD build to the mix. I think I want to go with the 6850's. I'm not sold on the 7770s, they don't see worth it besides their low power usage.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 11:56:42 AM

Just get a 6850 instead imo, they are same price as 7770 and better.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 11:58:29 AM

akamrcrack said:
Just get a 6850 instead imo, they are same price as 7770 and better.

Yup, that's what I did. Is the PSU that I have in the list appropriate? I know SeaSonic are one of the best brands in terms of psu quality.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 12:36:00 PM

Yes they are. However the 620w is overkill for a 6850 you could drop it all the way down the the 380w version if you wanted and it would still be sufficient. If you are looking to drop the cost down a little get a little bit lower wattage psu, from seasonic would be great. A pretty good deal is the cx430 from corsair(who also make quality psu's) or even the antec ea series.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 2:22:48 PM

zooted said:
Yes they are. However the 620w is overkill for a 6850 you could drop it all the way down the the 380w version if you wanted and it would still be sufficient. If you are looking to drop the cost down a little get a little bit lower wattage psu, from seasonic would be great. A pretty good deal is the cx430 from corsair(who also make quality psu's) or even the antec ea series.


I agree with this post for the most part.

I would suggest looking at a Rosewill HIVE or Capstone series PSU. Both are extremely well made (HIVE series being Modular 80+ bronze / Capstone series being Non Modular 80+ Gold)

IMO the HIVE is the #1 modular psu that is cost efficient atm. They only offer 550w to 750w but with modern gpus thats enough to SLI 680s/7970s (the 750w is)

550W would be enough to OC and run dual 6850s later :) 
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 8:52:57 PM

Alright I'll update my builds shortly and let you know. Thanks for the PSU advice!

So now, Intel vs AMD? Which of my builds will give me the most bang for buck. Is the i3-2120 better than the Phenom II 965? That's their #1 processor for AMD.
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 2:57:15 AM

How good is the cooler master 430 case? Will there be room for a future upgrade to xfire another 6850?
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 3:55:28 AM

GuruMenace said:
Alright I'll update my builds shortly and let you know. Thanks for the PSU advice!

So now, Intel vs AMD? Which of my builds will give me the most bang for buck. Is the i3-2120 better than the Phenom II 965? That's their #1 processor for AMD.


Basically

you may see better performance in some applications with the i3 (and a few games, but some games may not take kindly to the 2 cores)

i3 comes with upgradeability (meaning you could upgrade to Ivy Bridge or 2500K in future)

965BE for the most part doesn't. (unless you are a FX fanboy ;)  )

I have owned the 965BE and its an excellent choice. Beats FX processors.

Want to see a boss system that would easily persuade you to the 965BE? All it really needs added is a HDD.

@ $553 you have plenty of room to add/upgrade.

m
0
l
April 23, 2012 11:59:42 AM

^Pretty solid build. I actually agree with you on the HIVE series as they are Sirtec oem which are identical to the ocz zs series.
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 4:28:26 PM

I'm not too sure of my current build anymore. I feel like it doesn't have enough future proofing. For example, the moba can't be used for xfire'ing another 6850. Down the line, the CPU might become the bottleneck. Would it be wise for me to switch to a 2500k + z68 moba w/ xfire capabilities like an asrock extreme3 or settle with what I listed all ready? I also want to include an SSD, but those are pricy, yet sooooo good.
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 4:37:51 PM

i5 2500k + asrock pro3 (or extreme3) is a good combo, well you can skip the ssd for now and just get an HDD for 100$ or go get something at 100-110$ cheap ssd or so, but not good,
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 4:46:22 PM

Tavo_Nova said:
i5 2500k + asrock pro3 (or extreme3) is a good combo, well you can skip the ssd for now and just get an HDD for 100$ or go get something at 100-110$ cheap ssd or so, but not good,


Yea that's what I'm thinking now. I feel like SSD's are still too expensive for $/gb you're paying for. However, the HDDs on newegg are so sketchy because of the immense amount of DOAs in the reviews...for every single HDD whether that be WD or Seagate. Another good thing about z68s is the ssd+hdd cache feature. I'm not sure how to set it up, but I heard it's like getting the speed of an SSD but the storage space of a HDD. I'm not entirely sure. Also it's hard to guage how good my build is for a "budget" of around $800 when I have to buy windows 7, keyboard, and a bunch of other stuff. I basically have to start from scratch whereas most other experienced builders have the luxury to reuse old parts like cases and coolers and ram.
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 4:53:51 PM

look at samsung spinpoint f3 or something at 1tb 7200rpm or seagate 1tb 7200rpm

but for seagate look at this 7200.12 (it's what you want)

or go samsung spin something 500gb also great.
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 4:55:53 PM

If you look at my build link, it includes a 500gb 7200rpm seagate barracuda hdd (sata 6)
m
0
l

Best solution

April 23, 2012 5:01:18 PM

Stay away from AMD get an i5 SB when IB gets here and prices drop ...dont buy IB since is not that much performance gain than current SB

like I said before something in the line of

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

is good play with the built ..get less expensive case and go for the 2500k to save some cash and your set up rest of the money can go to your windows 7 and such ..
Although a good case will last you several builds ...my bro ..used his case for about 8 years ..before upgrading ..a cheap case will prob get replaced sooner i love my 500r i think it will last me 2 more new system resurrections or more lol ...and get a solid GPU 570 or better ..When I did my budget built ...and after all expenses where done ..i think spent close to 900dlls not counting the GPU and FEDEX since i don't trust ups (that would been 115 dlls less)..I'm waiting for the 580 or 7950 to drop in price ..lol
Share
April 24, 2012 8:16:36 PM

I updated my build and my first post. Let me know what you think.

I have another question concerning the i3-2120. Say I'm running diablo 3, will I be able to alt-tab to browse internet w/o any slow downs while also having like vent, skype, and iTunes running at the same time? I really like to multitask during gaming sessions, especially waiting for matchmaking games in HoN.
m
0
l
April 24, 2012 10:28:23 PM

GuruMenace said:
I updated my build and my first post. Let me know what you think.

I have another question concerning the i3-2120. Say I'm running diablo 3, will I be able to alt-tab to browse internet w/o any slow downs while also having like vent, skype, and iTunes running at the same time? I really like to multitask during gaming sessions, especially waiting for matchmaking games in HoN.


You don't need a $1000 i7 to be able to do what you are asking.

I do 5x that with my i5 2500K at a time so yea.
m
0
l
April 24, 2012 11:30:48 PM

akamrcrack said:
You don't need a $1000 i7 to be able to do what you are asking.

I do 5x that with my i5 2500K at a time so yea.


Nice. Also, do I need a air cooler like cooler master or should I stick with the stock fan?
m
0
l
April 24, 2012 11:39:14 PM

The Radeon 6850 outperforms the Radeon 7770 on most of the popular titles, such as BF3 and Skyrim.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 12:07:20 AM

GuruMenace said:
Nice. Also, do I need a air cooler like cooler master or should I stick with the stock fan?


a Hyper 212+ would be a good investment to keep your case temps low and gives you room to oc so yeah if you have the $30 to spend and it isn't cutting into somewhere else on your system (like gpu or case or mobo etc) then do it ;) 
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 4:16:26 PM

I'm concerned about Asrock's reliability for mobas. After reading countless reviews from all their budget mobas like the h61 or z68's, a lot of the mobas are DOAs and some of them have parts that don't work or degrade over a few days such as usb slots or audio ports.

I know they are well known for targeting the budget consumers, but honestly I really don't trust them. This is my first build and I don't want to put up with a newegg RMA on a shoddy moba since. I've done some thorough research on all my computer parts and they all have solid 5 star reviews excluding the moba and video card.

But after looking through most of the other different mobas from companies like Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and Biostar, they all have shoddy mobas. So I really don't understand.

Can anyone offer me some advice?

Also, is there any good budget mobas that will allow me to upgrade to IB w/o having to shell out for another moba down the line?
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 4:24:00 PM

Even the most trusted quality brands can have malfunctions. It just happens, it is unfortunate but inevitable.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 8:16:16 PM

If you are wanting a better upgrade option for an IB processor down the road, than the Z77 board would be a better choice than the H61.

Also, no you will not need the aftermarket CPU cooler since the 2120 cannot be overclocked. The stock cooler will suffice for the cooling needs just fine.
m
0
l
April 28, 2012 8:58:17 PM

Pezcore27 said:
If you are wanting a better upgrade option for an IB processor down the road, than the Z77 board would be a better choice than the H61.

Also, no you will not need the aftermarket CPU cooler since the 2120 cannot be overclocked. The stock cooler will suffice for the cooling needs just fine.


Yea, the i3-2120 can't be overclocked so the aftermarket CPU is a waste. Good call.


How is this moba?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm still looking for a decent moba. Not sure if I should go with this one tho.


m
0
l
April 30, 2012 5:01:23 PM

GuruMenace said:
I'm concerned about Asrock's reliability for mobas. After reading countless reviews from all their budget mobas like the h61 or z68's, a lot of the mobas are DOAs and some of them have parts that don't work or degrade over a few days such as usb slots or audio ports.

I know they are well known for targeting the budget consumers, but honestly I really don't trust them. This is my first build and I don't want to put up with a newegg RMA on a shoddy moba since. I've done some thorough research on all my computer parts and they all have solid 5 star reviews excluding the moba and video card.

But after looking through most of the other different mobas from companies like Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and Biostar, they all have shoddy mobas. So I really don't understand.

Can anyone offer me some advice?

Also, is there any good budget mobas that will allow me to upgrade to IB w/o having to shell out for another moba down the line?


My ASROCK mob arrived fine ..even if the person at NewEGG put the mobo with no protection on the bottom or the upper side ..and with the darn PSU on top of it . Computer is working awesome ..so far no complains on Asrock ...i got the cheap gen3 z68 mobo for my 2500k chip ..have not oc it yet even if it has an h60 on it ..im holding on oc that chip untill i get a better gpu ..jsut waiting on Nvidia to release the new cards. One piece of advice is that let the carrier stay with the shipment at their office and you pick them up ..sometimes saves time and the packages don't get thrown (literary) in the truck ..(i hate ups for this seen it to many times).
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 2:30:10 AM

I'm going with this gigabyte b75 moba as it's relatively cheap and I'm not planning to crossfire. It falls within my budget and it has everything I need as a budget gamer.

I do have a question about the drivers and AHCI setting for when I install the SSD. Apparently on the drivers page (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...) there is an "Intel SATA Preinstall Driver"? It says it's for AHCI/RAID mode?

I've done a lot of research and I know I'm supposed to enable AHCI mode before I install the OS. However, is this driver implying that I can only enable AHCI mode AFTER I install this driver? What's the point of this driver?
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 3:50:28 PM

Have you ordered the parts? I'm curious about that 7850 performance ...on your system ..lol ...keep me posted and how it works for D3 ..
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 3:53:43 PM

The 7850 will slice through Diablo 3 easier than a good javazon did in chaos runs in Diablo 2... :D 

m
0
l
May 3, 2012 5:02:59 PM

Who told you about a 7850? My build clearly shows a 6850 which is more than adequate for Diablo 3. And no, I haven't ordered the parts yet. I plan on ordering them next week on Amazon actually. I have a $20 gift certificate so might as well use Amazon as they have all the same parts and exact prices. Plus free super saver shipping on all the parts.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 5:35:58 PM

I was responding to the guy that posted above my last one.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 5:39:03 PM

Pezcore27 said:
I was responding to the guy that posted above my last one.

Same here.
m
0
l
May 4, 2012 3:13:49 AM

Best answer selected by GuruMenace.
m
0
l
!