Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$700-1000 Budget PC

Last response: in Systems
April 22, 2012 8:15:02 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within a month if possible

Budget Range: $700-1000, don't know what rebates are.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Casual Gaming, Surfing The Internet, General Use

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, Operating System

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, any US sites that give great discount prices

Parts Preferences: Intel i5-2500k preferably, Full tower case (no bling please, plain and simple), AMD GPU

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: First building new computer. I'm new to this. Don't really need high-end current generation parts. Just something to play Sims 3, League of Legends, and Diablo 3 (soon to come) at a normal FPS. Would like to play them on High Quality if possible within budget.

Parts that are considered:
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

More about : 700 1000 budget

Best solution

April 22, 2012 8:51:57 AM

If you are not overclocking, get a i5 2400 instead. Check the $800 build in my sig.
April 22, 2012 9:19:34 AM

Are you concerned about how quiet your PC Runs? And how long until you plan to replace it? What about HHDs.

Most claim that RAM over 1600Mhtz won't get you much for the price. I say nothing over that. You can select it easily on New Egg. G Skill/Mushkin/Corsair all good. Corsairs are rather tall if that matters for your build.

I would say a cheaper z68 (PCIe 2.0 only)/z77 MOBO from a good company unless you ever plan to Overclock in the future. A decent h77 here, but you only get 1333Mhz RAM max and no overclock (Might be possible for GPU, not sure), not TOO bad for budget.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: SAPPHIRE Ultimate 11202-03-40G Radeon HD 7750 1GB
On New Egg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7770-7750...
It is quiet, bit pricey, but decent performance. Newer cards from both houses draw less power.
Also an Ivy Bridge (K) will ship with HD 4000. Probably not enough power though though.

Search for "Dadiablo $1000" in public wishlist on New Egg. I spec'ed out something for you. The HDD is the first thing you might want to cut back on and you may want better GPU.

Hope that helps.
m
l
Related resources
April 23, 2012 1:49:07 AM

Zero_ said:
If you are not overclocking, get a i5 2400 instead. Check the $800 build in my sig.

Can you explain why not get i5 2500k and get i5 2400 instead?

I'm having a look at you $800 build. I will do more research on that. Thank you Zero_!
m
l
April 23, 2012 1:52:18 AM

AH-64 Longbow said:
Are you concerned about how quiet your PC Runs? And how long until you plan to replace it? What about HHDs.

Most claim that RAM over 1600Mhtz won't get you much for the price. I say nothing over that. You can select it easily on New Egg. G Skill/Mushkin/Corsair all good. Corsairs are rather tall if that matters for your build.

I would say a cheaper z68 (PCIe 2.0 only)/z77 MOBO from a good company unless you ever plan to Overclock in the future. A decent h77 here, but you only get 1333Mhz RAM max and no overclock (Might be possible for GPU, not sure), not TOO bad for budget.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: SAPPHIRE Ultimate 11202-03-40G Radeon HD 7750 1GB
On New Egg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7770-7750...
It is quiet, bit pricey, but decent performance. Newer cards from both houses draw less power.
Also an Ivy Bridge (K) will ship with HD 4000. Probably not enough power though though.

Search for "Dadiablo $1000" in public wishlist on New Egg. I spec'ed out something for you. The HDD is the first thing you might want to cut back on and you may want better GPU.

Hope that helps.

Very informative!
Thank you for the suggestion Longbow. I will do more research.
Also the "Dadiablo $1000" on Newegg Public Wishlist isn't on there :( . Is it not updated?
m
l
April 23, 2012 12:08:22 PM

that $800 dollar build from zero_ isn't bad.

I missed that the first time read the thread. something in that neighborhood is what you're looking for. The GPU is good. I would check nVidia's new stuff that just released before settling on one.
RAM is not a top tier brand but they are in the business and it's 1600 so that's good.
MOBO is another H77, I didn't know they could run up to 1600 RAM but if they can they are cheaper than some and still in the new Intel 70 series. If I haden't heard so many good things about ASUS in the last few years I would be sticking with Gigabyte myself. ASRock, and Fata1ity are good from what I hear but even Intel or MSI might do for you.
I would say something in that area is right for you.

If you really want Intel HD Graphics you may want to look into Ivy Bridge or switch to an AMD build. I know nothing about AMD except Hybrid CrossFire. I also wouldn't put much faith in Ivy Bridge reviews since the chip is yet to officially release and most are based on the numbers from the Chinese Black market. However it is estimated to be 5%-15% processing HCPS jump across the new family and a dramatic GPU increase supporting DX11 and a shrink to 22nm. Also a drop of 10 TDP or more is expected, but Overclocking might be tougher on the narrower Silicon; some reports already suggest it. this may all be bull though. Not sure what the new 3D gate will do for everything.

I like the $800 build for you in general.
Remember the difference between initial cost and TCO (Total Cost of Ownership). You simply not have the money to spend, but a good machine will prevent you from needing to upgrade for a while. Of course with all the new stuff still coming out lately, it is really easy to get burn going all out now just something to to come later on(within the year). With the new GPUs from both houses and the Ivy Bridge out by the end of the month you should be ok.
I would go real cheap on HDD and ODD for now because you can upgrade later. Recycle your ODD if you have to, you might get by with one in the home. I have an external ODD for that reason. USB 3.0 might yield better but I bought mine a while ago. That is a lot of info and most of it may not even be needed but it is about everything I know. Hope it help.
m
l
April 26, 2012 3:45:24 PM

Best answer selected by Dadiablo.
m
l
!