Want a 2500K? How Long Will It Last?

WuMyster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Im in need of a new upgrade so I want to get the infamous i5 2500K.
With *minor OCing how long do you reckon it'll last with games for?

Theres no way to answer that question. It comes down to your expectations. If you are playing the same games it will last forever. If you are constantly updating your gaming library with newer games, it comes down to your expectations of performance, and what other components you're pairing it with. Particularly the video card.

WuMyster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Forget the video cards as they will be easily upgraded for me. I have no problems with them because their is no need for getting new mobos because of new sockets. But seeing as Haswell and Sky Lake are up next for Intel do you reckon it would last a good few years?

Again, it all comes down to what your expectations are. Asking how long something is "future proof" is a bad question to ask. Will the 2500K be able to handle games at the absolute highest settings for the next 3-4 years? Probably. But speculating beyond that is impossible. Standards change too fast and unpredictably.

Infamous? The i5-2500k? Your joking right? Do you know what "infamous" means?

AMD FX CPUs... now that's an infamous CPUs series.

How well a CPU is for future proofing depends on what your expectations are. My Q9450 is 4 years old now and coupled with a Radeon HD 5850 I find that my rig still give me good enough performance so I'm not looking to upgrade until at least next year. I may even wait until 2014 when Intel releases Broadwell.

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
If thechnology progresses at the rate it does today, then i'd say it will be a VERY good gaming CPU for the next three years.Kind of like the Intel Core i5 750 which is still good enough for almost all graphics cards.