Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Bizarre problem after graphics card install

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 14, 2012 2:34:24 AM

So after many many trials I have successfully installed my new asus radeon hd 6850 into my computer. However, something bizarre has happened to my display. I have sound when I plug the HDMI plug from my monitor into the hdmi slot in the video card, however my monitor now appears to be smaller/ lower resolution and I'm pretty sure its because it is somehow recognising that I have 2 monitors.

I do not.

So I try to combat this by unplugging the HDMI cord from the graphics card and straight into the provided slot (which I believe is the motherboard?) when I bought the computer. This reverts the screen back to its full size but however I now do not have any sound.

I have done the research online and have tried to fix the problem from the BIOS screen, but it already says that the on-board audio is enabled (there were only 2 options, enable and disable).

Does anybody have any solution to this problem? I would like to have both sound and my original specs for my monitor and for some reason I can't figure out how to fix this.
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 14, 2012 2:48:22 AM

resize the monitor using ccc control and detect monitor with hdmi plug in
Score
February 14, 2012 2:56:42 AM

I'm sorry could you be a little more specific? I don't know what ccc control is
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2012 3:01:21 AM

first go to AMD.com and download the latest drivers for your specific OS. This will automatically install CCC (catalyst control center). with in CCC you go to "monitor" located on the left side tab, then click on "scaling optioins" this will allow you to adjust the scaling of the screen usually 0% will expand your picture to fit your screen. You will also be able to adjust your resolution and OC your video card if desired.
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 14, 2012 3:02:33 AM

catalyst control center on desktop when you dowload the ati graphic card driver
Score
February 14, 2012 3:12:58 AM

Ok yes I can change the monitor scaling and it will give me a full screen, which is fine, but I'm just wondering why it recognizes 2 different monitors when I only have one? For example when I remove the hdmi cord and plug it back in, what shows up is a blank screen with no taskbar or anything, which would be the second monitor screen right?
Score
February 14, 2012 3:20:53 AM

rage33 said:
first go to AMD.com and download the latest drivers for your specific OS. This will automatically install CCC (catalyst control center). with in CCC you go to "monitor" located on the left side tab, then click on "scaling optioins" this will allow you to adjust the scaling of the screen usually 0% will expand your picture to fit your screen. You will also be able to adjust your resolution and OC your video card if desired.

Actually sorry this didnt work it only returned to full screen because I had unplugged the hdmi cable. On my CCC i do not see any monitor tab I see VGA displays but that doesnt do anything
Score
February 14, 2012 3:23:32 AM

Ok scratch that I figured out how to disable my imaginary second monitor.
Score
February 14, 2012 3:23:45 AM

Best answer selected by sevinic.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2012 4:12:56 AM

Glad to help!
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 14, 2012 9:30:23 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey