Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

All new build... Questioning i5-3570k now...

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 22, 2012 1:55:10 PM

Any thoughts?

Confirmed components:

Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive: Patriot Pyro 120GB SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Disk Drive: LG DvD Burner 24x
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Reusing:

Monitor: LG 22" LCD (temporarily, want LED backlight)

Mouse: Logitech G5



Pending components:

CPU: Intel i5-3570K
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core%20i5-3...

GPU: ASUS HD7870* --------------- Getting last, considering 7970 and possible GTX ~670
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD: WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64 MB cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : build questioning 3570k

April 22, 2012 2:30:10 PM

Why the confirmed SSD? It's under laptops, so it's going to be priced a little differently (I think). Try this one for great performance (Sandisk Extreme): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Keep in mind your PSU doesn't come with a power cord... that's how they make it "ecofriendly". Make sure you either have one or buy one.

Everything else on confirmed looks good.

Now, on to pending.

CPU: Fine

GPU: I'd really go with MSI Twin Frozr II OC, but ASUS won't let you down. I don't think Gigabyte will, either, but I'd try for them in this order:
1. MSI
2. ASUS
3. Gigabyte
4. EVGA

Mobo: Why the Extreme6? Extreme4 is good enough imo

RAM: Are you editing any video? If not, then 16GB is too much... go with 8GB.

HDD: Fine.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 2:42:51 PM

SSD is confirmed because I bought it $110-120 after MIR. I don't know why it's just listed under laptop.

And I was considering the Extreme6 because I like the convenience of front panel USB3.0, since I'm waiting til IB comes out, I figured I'd bundle and it wouldn't be much more than the 4.

(PS, the sandisk is listed the same)
m
0
l
Related resources
April 22, 2012 2:47:13 PM

You have almost the same build as me, but im going to use another case and mobo

Case "corsair obsidian 550d" Seems like the best silent case out there. 130$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

mobo Asrock z77 pro 3 110$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Why spend more if this mobo does everything?

I will not buy one SSD they are still too expensive and I don't buy anything if i get the feeling im being assaulted.

m
0
l
April 22, 2012 2:54:12 PM

You're getting a wd black 1tb and 16gb of ram, yet a crappy gpu. Let's be S-E-R-I-O-U-S here!

kidding, anyway yeah, why not get 8gb ram and either wd blue or wd black 500gb to save some money. buy these things when you're richer, get a modern gpu! nvidia 600 series!
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 2:54:45 PM

"Case "corsair obsidian 550d" Seems like the best silent case out there. 130$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811139012 "

^He didn't say anything about silent. Anyway, I'd go with a Fractal R3. I can tell you why if you're interested in a silent case, but you don't seem to be.

Also, Azok... I completely forgot about the newegg SSD listings. Silly me! :p 

Anyway, I can see why you want Extreme6...
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 2:56:39 PM

Extreme4 has 2 pcie 3.0 slots instead of 1.

Extreme4 has 4 sata 6gb/s instead or 2.

Extreme4 has 4 usb3.0 instead of 2.

Extreme4 has an esata port.

Extreme4 has slightly better audio.

EDIT: as compared to Pro3
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 3:00:59 PM

^That's all true, but you have to ask yourself... do you really need all of that? The only thing that would really impact me would be the audio, and it's not that much better. Also, the sata is for the amount of HDDs you have... not SSDs.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 3:05:23 PM

Lieutenant Awesome said:
You're getting a wd black 1tb and 16gb of ram, yet a crappy gpu. Let's be S-E-R-I-O-U-S here!

kidding, anyway yeah, why not get 8gb ram and either wd blue or wd black 500gb to save some money. buy these things when you're richer, get a modern gpu! nvidia 600 series!


Well this will be mainly for d3 and I know most high end cards are overkill. But I would like it to last 2-3 years w/o getting another or upgrading.

I have been looking at 7970s (since they aren't much more), but I read nVidia will have a new card in the $4xx range.
I like how AMD gpus aren't as power consuming.

I'm torn really.



EDIT: the hdd price isn't an issue really. i have tons of music and i don't feel like having to get another one anytime soon.

is 8gb really sufficient? i am a noob about how computers work.

m
0
l
April 22, 2012 3:06:26 PM

ddan49 said:
^That's all true, but you have to ask yourself... do you really need all of that? The only thing that would really impact me would be the audio, and it's not that much better. Also, the sata is for the amount of HDDs you have... not SSDs.


fore me its usb3.0

2 seems ridiculous
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 5:33:58 PM

Oh FOR GODS SAKE! Crossfire, when you don't even have a good GPU yet?! "LOOK GUYS, I'M CROSSFIRING A 90s CARD, IT DOESN'T EVEN RUN PCI-E 2"

Ok, well. I suppose so, but will you be rich enough to afford 2 PCI-E 3 cards, and do you really think you'll actually need to? Not all that games can run 2 cards I'm sure too, or at least not to a worth it level.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 5:41:20 PM

ddan49 said:
Why the confirmed SSD? It's under laptops, so it's going to be priced a little differently (I think). Try this one for great performance (Sandisk Extreme): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Keep in mind your PSU doesn't come with a power cord... that's how they make it "ecofriendly". Make sure you either have one or buy one.

Everything else on confirmed looks good.

Now, on to pending.

CPU: Fine

GPU: I'd really go with MSI Twin Frozr II OC, but ASUS won't let you down. I don't think Gigabyte will, either, but I'd try for them in this order:
1. MSI
2. ASUS
3. Gigabyte
4. EVGA

Mobo: Why the Extreme6? Extreme4 is good enough imo

RAM: Are you editing any video? If not, then 16GB is too much... go with 8GB.

HDD: Fine.

2.5" is classified as laptop drive-sized, which is why it is listed under laptops.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 5:55:51 PM

Just get the extreme 4... The pro line has ugly blue capacitors.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 6:02:34 PM

i have the extreme 4 and love it. just my 2c
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 6:08:23 PM

Extreme4 is more popular, but I don't think the Pro3 will really give much trouble. Do you really use more than two USB 3.0 ports at a time? Keyboard/mouse go to USB 2.0, so what would you really use... an external drive and a flash stick?
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 6:12:13 PM

Lieutenant Awesome said:
Oh FOR GODS SAKE! Crossfire, when you don't even have a good GPU yet?! "LOOK GUYS, I'M CROSSFIRING A 90s CARD, IT DOESN'T EVEN RUN PCI-E 2"

Ok, well. I suppose so, but will you be rich enough to afford 2 PCI-E 3 cards, and do you really think you'll actually need to? Not all that games can run 2 cards I'm sure too, or at least not to a worth it level.


7870
Release Date: 2012-3-15
Bus Support: PCI-E 3.0 x16

Let's be S-E-R-I-O-U-S!


I will probably see how a "670" performs and the price, since I probably won't buy it till June.


ddan49 said:
Extreme4 is more popular, but I don't think the Pro3 will really give much trouble. Do you really use more than two USB 3.0 ports at a time? Keyboard/mouse go to USB 2.0, so what would you really use... an external drive and a flash stick?


and bluetooth, and WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE?!
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 6:50:44 PM

Bluetooth and Wifi can easily be added on. Probably for less money.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 7:13:06 PM

Less money? You are talking about motherboards that are $120 (Pro4) and $135(ex4).

$15?! You can't even discuss getting the Pro4 over the Extreme4 because its ONLY FIFTEEN DOLLARS! I and you and whoever may not need the slots NOW, but it's always good to be prepared.

Extreme4 at $135 vs Extreme6 at $170... now that's debatable. And what I am contemplating.... I will just have to wait and see what bundles they have, if I can get Extreme6 at a deal or not.



But now I'm thinking just 8gb ram. I'll have to look into it.

Still leaning the WD Black 1TB HDD. (if not a Seagate Barracuda)

Will figure out which gpu 2-4 weeks.

Appreciate everyone's input a lot.
Might make a post in MEMORY about 8gb vs 16gb.
And later on the GPU and a new monitor.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 7:21:01 PM

Does the Extreme4 have Bluetooth and Wifi on it, anyway? I don't think it does...
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 7:31:40 PM

ddan49 said:
Does the Extreme4 have Bluetooth and Wifi on it, anyway? I don't think it does...


No, but I want bluetooth, and I would run it out of a USB3.0, so if I had that and an external, I wouldn't have anymore slots.

akamrcrack said:
You overpaid for that SSD. Not even worth buying in the first place imo. If it was the Patriot Wildfire then I would say nice choice but there are better choices.

Could have gotten this for $40 cheaper automatically.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Faster and more reliable.


"SSD is confirmed because I bought it $110-120 after MIR."

I trust Patriot over Mushkin when it comes to DoAs and defective units.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 7:35:45 PM

Okay, I understand the USB 3.0 thing. Does bluetooth work faster on 3.0? I honestly don't know. However, what else besides bluetooth and an external are you going to use? Bluetooth isn't 24/7 for you, is it?
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 7:41:56 PM

ddan49 said:
Okay, I understand the USB 3.0 thing. Does bluetooth work faster on 3.0? I honestly don't know. However, what else besides bluetooth and an external are you going to use? Bluetooth isn't 24/7 for you, is it?


ddan49 said:
Okay, I understand the USB 3.0 thing. Does bluetooth work faster on 3.0? I honestly don't know. However, what else besides bluetooth and an external are you going to use? Bluetooth isn't 24/7 for you, is it?


< Not extremely knowledgeable. But I'm 80% sure Bluetooth is ONLY ran through USB (atm) and I'm pretty sure they have (or will in a second) 3.0 sockets. I will use this for home multimedia, because besides gaming, I have a full family and am looking to buy a new smart-tv to accommodate this setup. I also don't mind using my Bluetooth headset for gaming (not that i would necessarily NEED 3.0 for a headset)
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 7:44:51 PM

Ah, okay. In that case, i can see where you want Extreme4... so go for it!

Extreme6... meh... I don't think so ;) 
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 8:04:09 PM

seanmcd91 said:
Just get the extreme 4... The pro line has ugly blue capacitors.

SHUT THE *** UP, SOME OF US CAN'T AFFORD ANY BETTER
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 8:07:35 PM

I'm sorry above :( ^

HEY GUYS, GET THIS. ONE OF THE EXTREME 6'S ATI MULTI GPU FEATURES IS "3-Way"!! LOL!
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 8:32:25 PM

Lieutenant Awesome said:
SHUT THE *** UP, SOME OF US CAN'T AFFORD ANY BETTER


A three letter word? Shut the ham up? Shut the can up? Shut the CPU up? Shut the boy up?
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 8:35:03 PM

I put f*ck. Strange how that's censored out of a 13-16 year olds forum, it's a very common word for us...
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 8:35:49 PM

I was kidding. But it really censors out words? Anyway,back on topic... >.>
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 8:54:17 PM

Azok said:
No, but I want bluetooth, and I would run it out of a USB3.0, so if I had that and an external, I wouldn't have anymore slots.



"SSD is confirmed because I bought it $110-120 after MIR."

I trust Patriot over Mushkin when it comes to DoAs and defective units.


To each his own. Would have had more reliability from Crucial or Intel but k.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 10:16:14 PM

Lieutenant Awesome

Cut the language ^

m
0
l
April 22, 2012 10:45:41 PM

akamrcrack said:
To each his own. Would have had more reliability from Crucial or Intel but k.


I considered Cherryville, but why pay 75% more for "reliability?," especially when I feel Patriot is a solid brand. My friends had at least 8 Patriot SSDs and no problems.
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 11:05:59 PM

I have a Sandforce drive and I have no probs on it.
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 12:47:29 AM

I have a Crucial drive, and absolutely no problems. Granted, it is pretty old (before M4... not sure exactly what model. I just popped it in ;)  ).
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 3:47:48 AM

Azok said:
I considered Cherryville, but why pay 75% more for "reliability?," especially when I feel Patriot is a solid brand. My friends had at least 8 Patriot SSDs and no problems.


I understand where you are coming from but there are reasons why the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe is $50+ more than the Mushkin Chronos for almost "equal" specs. Its the flash. Same with Patriot Wildfire.

Premium price for premium flash.

I went with the Crucial M4 because it has plenty of premiums for what it is and still very cost effective.

The Intel I was referring to is the 510 series.

azeem40 said:
I have a Sandforce drive and I have no probs on it.


That is understandable seeing how alot of sandforce issues have been fixed.

I just prefer non sandforce drives I guess ;) 
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 12:33:31 PM

By the way, Intel IB i5-3570k benchmarks should be released on hwbot soon... hopefully within the next few hours.
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 2:35:46 PM

akamrcrack said:
I understand where you are coming from but there are reasons why the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe is $50+ more than the Mushkin Chronos for almost "equal" specs. Its the flash. Same with Patriot Wildfire.

Premium price for premium flash.

I went with the Crucial M4 because it has plenty of premiums for what it is and still very cost effective.

The Intel I was referring to is the 510 series.



Well other than brand, I was looking at speeds, like I said I don't know a lot about computers.

When I compare Patriot Pyro vs Wildfire... they are almost the same.

Why don't they advertise that the flash is superior?
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 2:51:25 PM

Azok said:
Well other than brand, I was looking at speeds, like I said I don't know a lot about computers.

When I compare Patriot Pyro vs Wildfire... they are almost the same.

Why don't they advertise that the flash is superior?


Tom already has a chart that shows the tiers of SSDs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-review-benchmar...

:) 
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 3:53:09 PM

Judging by the chart on SSD vs HDD...



The margin between Wildfire vs HDD and Pyro vs HDD seems very minor. And in my case, going SSD for the first time, will still be amazed, even with a "lower tier" SSD. But yes, seeing the chart does make me feel like I should of done a little more research, but not regretting it since I got it for less than $1/GB
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 4:02:20 PM

Azok said:
Judging by the chart on SSD vs HDD...

http://media.bestofmicro.com/SSD-c400,9-R-286767-3.png

The margin between Wildfire vs HDD and Pyro vs HDD seems very minor. And in my case, going SSD for the first time, will still be amazed, even with a "lower tier" SSD. But yes, seeing the chart does make me feel like I should of done a little more research, but not regretting it since I got it for less than $1/GB


Indeed it was a good buy, just wouldn't have been in my top 5 choices besides that it was 1GB/$

Still works like a boss so thats what counts :) 
m
0
l
April 24, 2012 5:48:10 PM

Well now that there are more ivybridge statistics/benchmarks are out. It seems that they are running very hot (well 3770k mostly).

I see a lot of people say "2500k is still the better CPU."

I only plan on OC'ing to about 4.0ghz with a hyper 212 evo. According to this chart
I don't think it would go over 65*c.

I do lean towards ivybridge for the future pcie3.0 capabilities.



What do you think I should do?
m
0
l
April 24, 2012 6:07:57 PM

You won't really need to OC it anyways and all of the new features it offers will be good for future components so why not adopt new tech.

If you have a SB (or SBE) already then yes I don't see any reason to buy it other than the 3.0, but if your system is FX/thuban/phenom/i3 SB/etc then you may want to consider upgrading.
m
0
l
April 24, 2012 6:43:57 PM

I should figure out how to be more polite if I want to be allowed to stick around.
m
0
l
April 24, 2012 8:28:20 PM

If you're only going to 4.0GHz, get IB. Anything past 4.5-4.6 seemed to have heat issues. However, at that small of an overclock (200Mhz above turbo), just get an i5-2400... it's not worth it.
m
0
l
April 24, 2012 11:11:01 PM

Lieutenant Awesome said:
WHOA I'M SO SCAcrap its a mod

Anyway, the only reason I was saying get the Pro4 is because in the UK the Extreme4 is like... at least £40 more I think which is like $65 for you. if it's only $15 extra for you then GET IT

Last and only warning
If you cant do as the ToU says, then theres better places for you
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 12:05:46 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Last and only warning
If you cant do as the ToU says, then theres better places for you


Just send him to a rehabilitation center where he gets lobotomized. Atleast then we can have full control over the "language" of the forums browsers.

BTW hows about them Anandtech? I heard the offer equally as bias news so if you are looking for a new forums with more freedom then head on over.

inb4 banned for advertising another forums. Clearly against the TOU.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 12:32:48 PM

Guys... why? I look on Anandtech, and I look on other forums as well just for opinions. Doesn't mean one is "better" than another. Stop trashing this thread.
m
0
l
!