Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

GPU vs CPU

Last response: in Components
Share
August 4, 2012 8:35:18 PM

So i want to get a geforce gtx 570 (http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GTX570-Graphics-025-...) but i've been told by many people that $300+ is a waste of money for a graphics card. I record commentary so i do games my fans suggest, so i want to be ready to record any game with at least 30fps. I also am going to use an i5-2500k and overclock it, so i was also wondering if that would still cause bottle necking. I have a budget of $1400 and i was wondering if i should upgrade my cpu and downgrade my gpu or keep the setup

More about : gpu cpu

Best solution

August 4, 2012 10:31:48 PM

At $300 the GTX570 is overpriced. The GTX 660 Ti will be out in the next 2 weeks for $300 and should outperform the GTX 580. And yes you will need a good graphics card to record games as well as a good CPU. At $1400 you should be able to easily fit in a GX 660 Ti / GTX 670 level card in your build.
Share
Related resources
August 5, 2012 3:56:27 AM

^ Yes, I don't doubt it will be a great card for the price. But I was just answering the OP's question about having to spend $300 to get a GTX 570. The GTX 660ti debut is precisley why the 570 is dropping in price. :) 
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 4:09:08 AM

I'm just happy it looks like Nvidia has another 8800GT-GTX 460 1GB with the 660 Ti. It should force AMD to make price cuts as well. Ends up being good for everybody.
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 4:14:11 AM

Agreed. Competition is good for the consumer. Now, if only Comcast had some broadband competition where I live... But that's way off topic...
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 4:23:36 AM

anort3 said:
I'm just happy it looks like Nvidia has another 8800GT-GTX 460 1GB with the 660 Ti. It should force AMD to make price cuts as well. Ends up being good for everybody.

I'm looking for a good $200 dollar Kepler card ;) 
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 4:28:15 AM

clutchc said:
Agreed. Competition is good for the consumer. Now, if only Comcast had some broadband competition where I live... But that's way off topic...



Oh don't get me started. I have ATT DSL......the same 3Mb/s ATT DSL that I have had since 2003. Thats right, they have not made anything faster available to us in 9 years. That's it, my only high speed option. If I lived a quarter mile south I could have COX with 18Mb/s for the same price and they offer 28Mb/s! Cox won't cross the county line so I'm stuck in internet hell.
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 3:20:00 PM

anort3 said:
Oh don't get me started. I have ATT DSL......the same 3Mb/s ATT DSL that I have had since 2003. Thats right, they have not made anything faster available to us in 9 years. That's it, my only high speed option. If I lived a quarter mile south I could have COX with 18Mb/s for the same price and they offer 28Mb/s! Cox won't cross the county line so I'm stuck in internet hell.

I can relate to your situation. My daughter's family finally got Comcast last year. It had been available in their neighbohood for years... on the other side of the street! CC wouldn't serve them because they had no buried lines on their side of the street. Finally, CC must have discovered the technology of direct burial, because now they have it. What a stinkin' monopoly.

But enough. I fear we are hijacking this thread.
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 4:36:46 PM

Best answer selected by DarkAge9000.
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 4:38:26 PM

Thanks for the help :) 
m
0
l
!