System file restore

Im using Resource Hacker to change information in programs. The problem is
that when i change system files (like explorer), windows restores the file to
default. I have XP home edition SP2. When i had SP1, a dialog popped up
asking me if i wanted to keep the files. Is there a way to enable this dialog
again without downgrading to SP1?

You need to locate the backup copy of the file in Windows\System32\dllcache and delete/rename it as well. Its not System Restore that's causing your issue, its Windows File Protection.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.