Sign in with
Your question

Intel i7

Last response: in CPUs
August 4, 2012 9:40:17 PM

Ok guys, Now before I get everything ready to build my PC, I'm going to be using the Intel i7 with the normal stock cooler included with the i7, I'll be playing games on it as well.
The questions are:

1) What 'recommended' programs I should use to test my temperatures? (Both CPU & GPU)
2) Will the normal stock cooler be any good for gaming? (Not overclocking the CPU or GPU)
3) How many hours should I test them for?
4) Also what drivers should I download after pc build, I know GPU for one but what else?

Anything else I should know as well?

More about : intel

a c 283 à CPUs
August 4, 2012 9:59:47 PM

1. For temp monitoring, I recommend HWMonitor, Core Temp, and RealTemp. For stress testing, Prime 95 or Intel Burn Test.

2. Yes

3. Honestly, because you won't be OC'ing, you don't really even NEED to run any stress tests, but you can run one for about 10 minutes to get a good temp check.

4. Graphics and the drivers related to your board (Ethernet, Chipset, Audio, etc.) from the manufacturers website. I don't really recommend the drivers on the drivers disc that comes with the board, since they will probably be outdated. Windows will probably install most everything correctly on its own, but you can update them to current status, at least.
a c 478 à CPUs
August 5, 2012 2:16:14 AM

If this is primarily a gaming rig then you are better off going with an i5 CPU.

While the i7 has Hyper Threading (HT), games do not take advantage of HT. HT also decreases gaming performance by about 1% - 2% on average. However, I recall someone posting a picture of benchmark results with Left 4 Dead 2 that compares performance with HT and without HT. It should about a 25% decrease in performance when HT is activated. Not sure where the source is from since the poster did not provide a link.
August 5, 2012 9:12:51 AM

jaguarskx said:
If this is primarily a gaming rig then you are better off going with an i5 CPU.

While the i7 has Hyper Threading (HT), games do not take advantage of HT. HT also decreases gaming performance by about 1% - 2% on average. However, I recall someone posting a picture of benchmark results with Left 4 Dead 2 that compares performance with HT and without HT. It should about a 25% decrease in performance when HT is activated. Not sure where the source is from since the poster did not provide a link.

I read that intel i7 is mainly for video production, but the thing is I'm going to be playing games while recording them, So just like TheSyndicateProject does basically. Will the i7 be good for both of them? Also can I turn off HT?
!