• Photoshop
  • Graphics Cards
  • Intel i5
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
August 5, 2012 1:52:14 AM

Hi, so I'm looking at the lenovo ideacenter model b540 ..ru or ..ju:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/Len...

I want to use it mostly for graphics work- photoshop, video editing and occasional 3d renders.

So basically I'm wondering if the core i5 with the 1gb graphics card, or the core i3 with the 2gb would give me better performance? (both are entry level)..I also play the occasional game, though not as important as the other things, Thanks.

More about : core 1gb graphics card 2gb graphics photoshop

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 2:02:52 AM

As for those tasks i would go with i5 cause rendering is mostly cpu bounded.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 2:06:55 AM

In an odd twist of irony. You don't actually need a particularly powerful video card for photo/video editing. You're better off with the stronger CPU. Whicn in this case is the i5.
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2012 2:15:05 AM

awesome, thanks guys.. actually ordered the i5, but then saw the other one and thought ohh #@$% there's one with 2gb for 100 less!?? good to know though.. Do you think there's a huge difference as for gaming, or would the better cpu offset that somewhat/enough too?(again not hugely important for me, but would be nice..)
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 106 U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 2:21:10 AM

vram and cpu power in gaming is usually only relevant at high resolutions. just about anything will handle default resolutions
m
l
August 5, 2012 2:30:24 AM

aha.. So basically my question now is, is the difference between the core i5 and i3 for graphics work much more than the difference between the gt 615 1gb and 2gb for gaming, and which would be the overall better deal?
m
l

Best solution

a c 79 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 2:41:33 AM

In a very quick and dirt sense the i5 potentially is twice as good as an i3 in applications that can make use of all available cores, as the i3 is a dual core and the i5 is a quad.

As far as the graphics card, a GT615 is probably not very powerful regardless of how much memory it has. Memory isn't everything when you're talking about how good a video card is.

A video card is basically a separate processor with its own RAM to handle the graphics work. So, how fast the memory is and how powerful the Graphics processor is has to be taken into account. GT615 I assume is Nvidia's new Kepler architecture. For the home builder's market, there will probably be a GT620 and a GT610 released at some point, the "half steps" like 615 tend to be exclusive to pre-built systems. This is going to be toward the low end, budget market, for gaming, I wouldn't expect it to max out Battlefield 3 or anything like that. But maxed out World of Warcraft might not be too high of an expectation.
a c 79 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 2:44:14 AM

I don't meant to put a crimp on your day, but you do understand that for the money you pay for a pre-built system, you can probably build a more powerful one yourself for the same price 99 times out of 100?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 2:47:52 AM

nekulturny said:
I don't meant to put a crimp on your day, but you do understand that for the money you pay for a pre-built system, you can probably build a more powerful one yourself for the same price 99 times out of 100?

+1,000 For the price of that i5 machine, you could just build your own much more powerful system (like mine, for example. My system cost me a little over $900, and that was a while back now. That didn't include a case or monitor, but still).

And I can't find ANY info on the GT615 even existing, except for in those Lenovo systems, but my guess is that it's a re-badge of a very low end 500 series card (or even worse).
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 2:57:16 AM

Yea I googled it myself, it looks like the 610, 620s aren't Kepler, they are just re-badged 5xx series. Apparently its not til the 630 that we'll get Kepler.
m
l
August 5, 2012 3:15:15 AM

nekul, points taken but I'm a sucker for the touch display with windows 8 and all on the horizon. thanks for the info though.
m
l
Related resources
!