Sign in with
Your question

Card question please

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 14, 2012 11:27:22 AM

Hello all :) 
Have a quick question. I want to be able to play 2 games only on my PC. Diablo 3 and Dungeon Defenders(which I can pretty much run now). On "Can you run it" Diablo 3 will run except for my graphics card on recommended.

I have a low profile e-machine with a 350 watt power supply. Current G-Card is the NVidia GForce 8400 GS. On somewhat of a budget of $90.00. What's the best card for me for this power supply wattage and one that will fit.

AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 220 Processor
2 gigs ram
64 bit windows 7

Thank you for your time

More about : card question

February 14, 2012 11:28:34 AM

E-Machine model # EL1352G sorry double post
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2012 11:41:28 AM

Your RAM is definitly going to hold you back.Although it isn't as urgent as a GPU upgrade I would suggest looking to upgrade it as soon as you have the money.Another 2GB should do it.

Did you upgrade the PSU when you upgraded the GPU? Emachines list's it as having a 220watt.

http://www.emachines.com/ec/en/US/content/model/PT.NCG0...

I would suggest going with a 6670.That is actually the most powerful GPU you can get without requiring a PCI-E power connector.It should be able to run D3 on high settings and it only consumes about 60watts which should work if your PSU is a 300+watt.

XFX 6670 1GB $84 + Free Shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Since you still have room left in your budget I suggest getting this too...

G.SKILL (2x2GB) DDR3 1333mhz $23 + Free Shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
February 14, 2012 11:49:05 AM

Thank you kindly for the response. Is that a low profile card as I did not see that info. Yes I did upgrade to a 350 watt power supply.
Thanx again.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2012 12:57:06 PM

What brand is your 350 watt PSU?

I was looking at your case and it looks to be micro-atx.Or is it a mini-itx?

A micro-atx case can still support a full sized GPU as long as it isn't to lengthy.I'm pretty sure that 6670 is the same size of your 8400GS.Maybe slightly bigger.
m
l
February 14, 2012 1:52:10 PM

purple stank said:
What brand is your 350 watt PSU?

I was looking at your case and it looks to be micro-atx.Or is it a mini-itx?

A micro-atx case can still support a full sized GPU as long as it isn't to lengthy.I'm pretty sure that 6670 is the same size of your 8400GS.Maybe slightly bigger.

Athena power Flex atx
It seems like the width might be too big as this card is cuttin it close. I am not sure if mini or micro. My guess is micro? Have googled to no success.
Thanx :) 
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2012 2:28:38 PM

Why don't you measure and see how much space you have to work with?As long as you have adequate airflow it's ok if the card is cramped.

That card is way slower than the 6670.That card is more for multimedia applications.

Do you know the model number of your PSU?

Does it look like this?

http://www.athenapower.us/products/power_supply/ap-mfat...

If it does then your case is smaller than I thought.Which means it's a mini-itx(very small).

You should measure it just to be sure.
m
l
February 14, 2012 2:51:36 PM

purple stank said:
Why don't you measure and see how much space you have to work with?As long as you have adequate airflow it's ok if the card is cramped.

That card is way slower than the 6670.That card is more for multimedia applications.

Do you know the model number of your PSU?

Does it look like this?

http://www.athenapower.us/products/power_supply/ap-mfat...

If it does then your case is smaller than I thought.Which means it's a mini-itx(very small).

You should measure it just to be sure.

Yes. The width of PC is only 4 " :(  That's why I am having a hard time. Never again with a low profile although it was a gift from wife.
Thanx
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2012 7:22:00 PM

I looked up the specifications. Depth of 14.6" if there are no drive bays in the way it might fit...

Unit Dimensions:
10.4 x 3.9 x 14.6-inches (H x W x D, approximate)
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2012 7:53:02 PM

Not the actual specs of the case.I meant physically measure it yourself.But if the case is only 4 inches wide then it can't support a regular sized GPU which means your very limited to your selection as their are very few half-height and low-profile GPU's out there.

So here's what i'm thinking you could do...

Get that Sapphire 6670 that's already half-height and low-profile for $100.But it's 7 inches long so you got to be sure you can fit it and have good airflow.

Or

You can get a low-profile ready card and buy a half-height bracket and do it yourself.But after looking around most of the low-profile ready 6670's are the same price as the Sapphire so it makes better sense to just go with the Sapphire.
m
l
February 14, 2012 8:16:20 PM

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

Thank you all very much for the replies. It's looking like the Sapphire may squeeze in as it's less than an inch longer than my current card. I will post back when received. Thanx again Purple Stank you have been a huge help.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2012 8:31:24 PM

That already looks like a very tight squeeze.Just makes sure the card gets proper airflow.

Also don't forget to upgrade your RAM when you have the money.

Your quite welcome.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2012 8:33:31 PM

And you get a "Free Sonic game coupon w/ purchase" too!!!!!

I second the memory, you'll enjoy both upgrades...
m
l
February 14, 2012 8:47:12 PM

Thank you zdbc13. Just hope it does get sufficient air. There are air slots right above card so I hope that helps. :) 
m
l
February 14, 2012 9:36:09 PM

Just went to buy it. Out of stock now :(  lol
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2012 9:40:52 PM

I'm pretty sure it's Sonic Generations.I've played it a little and it's really nice.Totally remastered the old Sonic games in HD.Looks really good.

It will but that case is packed tight.They aren't meant to be upgraded.Espically with a entry level high performance GPU.If their are no fan mounts I suggest leaving the side panel of the case off better airflow.

Anyway best of luck to you.Post back when you get the card and what you think of it.And your temps if you could.I'm very curious how that pans out.
m
l
!