derty583

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Maybe a stupid question , I am building a new gaming pc and it is not possible to plug my wireless router directly into my computer as I
have no phone lines where i will use it. So it will need to be wireless . The motherboard is a p8p67 pro , will i need to purchase a wireless adapter
or does wireless work out of the box? if so what is the better choice PCI Wireless Adapter or USB Adapter? I will not need the adapter to leave the pc
so i was thinking PCI. further more is this a good choice?? http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=336/ID=15303/SID=306285287/productdetails.html

TIA :)

If I understand your correctly, you need a wireless dongle which includes a subscription or a pay-as-you-go setup which can connect to a wireless network. In the UK they cost around £15 per month but signals are notoriously poor and speeds quite slow so online gaming would be out of the question.

However, with no landline to put a DSL service on, you have no other choice.

derty583

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Sorry you have misunderstood. I have a wireless router , and am building a computer. There is no way for me to plug the router into the pc due to distance and the fact that my house telephone lines have a mind of its own ie we have a phone line in every single room but only 2 of them work and only one can be used for internet .Weird or what ? So as much as its not advised im am going to have to use wireless internet for my gaming,

derty583

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

Im am paying nz dollars which is around 80 cents USD atm. Its the cheapest ive found so ill just get it.. BTW thats the same exact one and equals to be same price or even cheaper here.

Sorry about that - I misread the situation. A wireless adapter, known as a dongle, which should cost very little - the equivalent of twenty dollars US, I believe - will handle the data between the computer and the router so long as there are no metallic elements in the way. Microwave ovens and hands-free landline phones can also interfere.

This one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Netgear-Wireless-N-WiFi-N300-USB-Network-Adapter-Dongle-/290577612782?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item43a7c67fee
is a decent make but cheaper ones are also available. Check the e-Bay site for New Zealand and find a local one.

derty583

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

Yeah im decided on a pcie 'dongle' and lol there is no ebay site in nz