Panasonic DMC FZ5

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 23, 2005 10:11:08 PM

I had made a choice for my plunge into digital but waiting for my local
store to carry the one I wanted I had time for my mind to wander and more
important to educate myself a bit more.
I have learned perhaps I don't really need the highest mega-pixel P&S. I
don't plan on printing anything larger than 8X10 since that's all my printer
can do. I happened upon this Panasonic model which possesses the one thing I
would really miss from my current Minolta SLR and that is big telephoto.
My question is, since I identify Panasonic with a wide variety of item's,
none of them camera's, how is the reliability for their camera's? And what
do you all think of this particular model?

Thanks, Hank L.

More about : panasonic dmc fz5

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:56:50 AM

I have an FZ10 which is effectivley a 4Mp version of the FZ20 and I
believe has been superceded by the FZ5.

I am very happy with this unit, the image stabilzation coupled with the
12x optical zoom and macro function make it very usable.

If you want to see some photos I recently took with this camera go to
http://tonystott.mysharedphotos.com/ . All the shots were taken in the
National Rhododendron Gardens at Olinda in the Dandenong Ranges east of
Melbourne (Australia).
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 5:27:36 AM

Hank L. wrote:
> I had made a choice for my plunge into digital but waiting for my local
> store to carry the one I wanted I had time for my mind to wander and more
> important to educate myself a bit more.
> I have learned perhaps I don't really need the highest mega-pixel P&S. I
> don't plan on printing anything larger than 8X10 since that's all my printer
> can do. I happened upon this Panasonic model which possesses the one thing I
> would really miss from my current Minolta SLR and that is big telephoto.
> My question is, since I identify Panasonic with a wide variety of item's,
> none of them camera's, how is the reliability for their camera's? And what
> do you all think of this particular model? .
Thanks, Hank L

I have the FZ-15 (4MP) and it is the best camera I ever owned.
A Leica 12X optical (36-432mm equivalent) Zoom that retains f=2.8 at 432
mm is unique to the Panasonic FZ series cameras.
It lets me get shots that I was never able to get before with film or
digital cameras.
I still carry a Canon S-45 in my pocket for spontaneous unplanned photo
ops. But when I'm going out for some serious shooting I use the FZ-15.
Panasonic may not know a whole lot about lenses but Leica sure does and
Panasonic knows one helluva lot about electronics. I think the joint
effort produced a real winner.
Bob Williams
June 24, 2005 5:32:31 AM

Hank L. wrote:

> I had made a choice for my plunge into digital but waiting for my local
> store to carry the one I wanted I had time for my mind to wander and more
> important to educate myself a bit more.
> I have learned perhaps I don't really need the highest mega-pixel P&S. I
> don't plan on printing anything larger than 8X10 since that's all my printer
> can do. I happened upon this Panasonic model which possesses the one thing I
> would really miss from my current Minolta SLR and that is big telephoto.
> My question is, since I identify Panasonic with a wide variety of item's,
> none of them camera's, how is the reliability for their camera's? And what
> do you all think of this particular model?
>
> Thanks, Hank L.

Hi,
FZ5 is quite new model as little brother of FZ20 which I have. So can't
comment on reliability issue. My FZ20 never gave me any trouble/problem
tho. Anti-shake feature is real plus when you shoot on long zoom. I
often use this out at my cabin in the woods for many different wild
animals/birds. For every day casual use I find myself using Oly C5060
more. For serious work, I use Nikon D70 with few different lens.
If you're looking at FZ5, should consider Canon S2 as well as FZ20 for
bit more dough. Just my 2 cents worth.
Tony
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 12:07:56 PM

Hank L. wrote:
[]
> My question is, since I identify Panasonic with a wide variety of
> item's, none of them camera's, how is the reliability for their
> camera's? And what do you all think of this particular model?

I've been delighted with my FZ5 - it's light, easy to use, and the image
stabilisation makes that long Leica zoom work very well indeed.
Hand-holding a 400+mm lens and getting sharp pictures was something I
didn't find easy on my SLR! My wife has a Panasonic FZ20 (the bigger
brother) which has survived a trip to Antarctica.

Highly recommended.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:24:06 PM

I bought an FZ5 for my wife and find that I am using it a lot. I have a 20D
with a 100-400 IS lens and am amazed at the quality of the long shots of the
FZ5, by comparison. Of course, the 20D is a tad better but consider the
cost, the size, and the weight! Here is an FZ5 sample:

http://home.comcast.net/~charlesschuler/wsb/media/29130...

As to reliability, I have no idea.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:24:07 PM

Thanks everyone. I think I will search my local area for one of these.
Hopefully I can find someone competitive with the net.
Best, Hank L.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 7:19:06 PM

Hank L. wrote:
> Thanks everyone. I think I will search my local area for one of these.
> Hopefully I can find someone competitive with the net.
> Best, Hank L.

You may have a long wait for a local area merchant to get FZ 5 in stock.
I bought my FZ 15 from e-tronics and I can reccommend them highly.
In the same class as B&H but often cheaper.
If you live in the US, I'd give them a look-see.
Bob Williams
Click:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid=4024&stk_cod...
June 24, 2005 11:39:54 PM

It can't compare to the Canon S2 IS!
"Bob Williams" <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote in message

> Hank L. wrote:
>> Thanks everyone. I think I will search my local area for one of these.
>> Hopefully I can find someone competitive with the net.
>> Best, Hank L.
>
> You may have a long wait for a local area merchant to get FZ 5 in stock.
> I bought my FZ 15 from e-tronics and I can reccommend them highly.
> In the same class as B&H but often cheaper.
> If you live in the US, I'd give them a look-see.
> Bob Williams
> Click:
>
> http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid=4024&stk_cod...

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:39:55 PM

You guys are killing me LMAO. Every time I "Finally" decide on a camera you
mention something else and I start waffling.
When I checked reviews of the CanonS2IS, the reviewer suggested the Sony
H1. Man oh man, I guess I should just pick the one that looks the prettiest
hahahaha.

You all are great, thanks.
Hank L.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 4:44:37 AM

"Hank L." <jujuju@hohoho.com> wrote in message
news:o 4Jue.7072$Gp.4565@fe04.lga...
> I had made a choice for my plunge into digital but waiting for my local
> store to carry the one I wanted I had time for my mind to wander and more
> important to educate myself a bit more.
> I have learned perhaps I don't really need the highest mega-pixel P&S. I
> don't plan on printing anything larger than 8X10 since that's all my
> printer can do. I happened upon this Panasonic model which possesses the
> one thing I would really miss from my current Minolta SLR and that is big
> telephoto.
> My question is, since I identify Panasonic with a wide variety of item's,
> none of them camera's, how is the reliability for their camera's? And what
> do you all think of this particular model?
>
> Thanks, Hank L.

Got my FZ 20 a few days ago. Bought it from buydig.com on the web. Good
price. You will need an extra sd card (at least 512) . Buy it from them, or
probably cheaper from ebay. Also at least one extra battery (get a non
Panasonic from an ebay seller).

I like the "feel"of the camera (as opposed to my old Olympus. ) The IS
works well and most of the menu settings are intuitive.

I bought it largely because of the 12 x optical zoom.

Based on some preliminary pictures (I live on the 21st floor and have been
taking pictures of license plates and people at least a block away.) And
yes, ..the resolution with the Leica elms is excellent, even setting the
asa at 400 and you can recognize the people and read the plates using IS and
no tripod.

Like all other electronics, it will be obsolete in a few years. But,
assuming it is reliable, it was a good purchase so far.
June 25, 2005 4:44:38 AM

Panasonic is great if you want a combination digital camera/microwave!
"its_my_dime" <its_my_dime@yahoo.com.spam (hold the .spam)> wrote in message

> "Hank L." <jujuju@hohoho.com> wrote in message
> news:o 4Jue.7072$Gp.4565@fe04.lga...
>> I had made a choice for my plunge into digital but waiting for my local
>> store to carry the one I wanted I had time for my mind to wander and more
>> important to educate myself a bit more.
>> I have learned perhaps I don't really need the highest mega-pixel P&S. I
>> don't plan on printing anything larger than 8X10 since that's all my
>> printer can do. I happened upon this Panasonic model which possesses the
>> one thing I would really miss from my current Minolta SLR and that is big
>> telephoto.
>> My question is, since I identify Panasonic with a wide variety of item's,
>> none of them camera's, how is the reliability for their camera's? And
>> what do you all think of this particular model?
>>
>> Thanks, Hank L.
>>

> Got my FZ 20 a few days ago. Bought it from buydig.com on the web. Good
> price. You will need an extra sd card (at least 512) . Buy it from them,
> or probably cheaper from ebay. Also at least one extra battery (get a
> non Panasonic from an ebay seller).
>
> I like the "feel"of the camera (as opposed to my old Olympus. ) The IS
> works well and most of the menu settings are intuitive.
>
> I bought it largely because of the 12 x optical zoom.
>
> Based on some preliminary pictures (I live on the 21st floor and have been
> taking pictures of license plates and people at least a block away.) And
> yes, ..the resolution with the Leica elms is excellent, even setting the
> asa at 400 and you can recognize the people and read the plates using IS
> and no tripod.
>
> Like all other electronics, it will be obsolete in a few years. But,
> assuming it is reliable, it was a good purchase so far.

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 9:51:55 AM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:44:37 GMT, in rec.photo.digital RE: Re:
Panasonic DMC FZ5 "its_my_dime" <its_my_dime@yahoo.com.spam (hold the
..spam)> wrote:

>I bought it largely because of the 12 x optical zoom.

Does the lens have threads to accept filters and attachments? If so,
what is size?

Thanks

June 25, 2005 11:07:54 AM

clint wrote:
> It can't compare to the Canon S2 IS!

You can compare it quite easily. The FZ5 produces better images and uses
a more convenient single-cell battery, but the LCD doesn't swivel and the
movie resolution is restricted. It has fewer gimmicks. Oh, and it comes
in choice of black or silver.

David
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 11:10:23 AM

clint wrote:
> Panasonic is great if you want a combination digital camera/microwave!

Open your eyes. Go and try the Panasonic FZ5 or FZ20. The combination of
Panasonic electronics and Leica optics is a most effective one.

David
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 3:33:14 PM

Vic Dura wrote:
[]
> Does the lens have threads to accept filters and attachments? If so,
> what is size?

Yes, 55mm. Filters fit onto the lens-hood holder supplied with the
camera.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 7:11:28 PM

It is kind of an awkward system. There is a barrel that fits over the lens
(a ring has to be removed first). Then the filters/sun shade fit on the
barrel. The system is necessarily because, when the camera is turned on,
the lens moves from recessed to forward WITHIN the barrel. Accordingly, the
filter can't be attached to the lens directly.

Several web sites have reviewed this camera and have pictures.

"Vic Dura" <vpdura@CLUTTERhiwaay.net> wrote in message
news:p ldqb1hrnmcuq77o79ns0tdiu3oeodjnjn@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:44:37 GMT, in rec.photo.digital RE: Re:
> Panasonic DMC FZ5 "its_my_dime" <its_my_dime@yahoo.com.spam (hold the
> .spam)> wrote:
>
>>I bought it largely because of the 12 x optical zoom.
>
> Does the lens have threads to accept filters and attachments? If so,
> what is size?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> To reply to me directly, remove the CLUTTER from my email address.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 1:37:35 AM

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:ep7ve.56064$G8.7253@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> clint wrote:
>> It can't compare to the Canon S2 IS!
>
> You can compare it quite easily. The FZ5 produces better images ..

... that are utterly oversharped in the camera ... :-) beyond the point of no
return ..
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 1:37:36 AM

imbsysop wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
> wrote in message
>> clint wrote:
>>> It can't compare to the Canon S2 IS!
>>
>> You can compare it quite easily. The FZ5 produces better images ..
>
> .. that are utterly oversharped in the camera ... :-) beyond the
> point of no return ..

So adjust the sharpening level if it doesn't suit you.

David
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:10:14 PM

message news:WOive.56429$G8.36460@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> imbsysop wrote:
>> "David J Taylor"
>> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
>> wrote in message
>>>
>>> You can compare it quite easily. The FZ5 produces better images ..
>>
>> .. that are utterly oversharped in the camera ... :-) beyond the
>> point of no return ..
>
> So adjust the sharpening level if it doesn't suit you.

interesting .. there must be illimited hords of FZ5 users then that have no
clue on how to use their camera for "best" results ?
or is the camera aimed at the casual auto-P&S shooter ?
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:10:15 PM

imbsysop wrote:
[]
> interesting .. there must be illimited hords of FZ5 users then that
> have no clue on how to use their camera for "best" results ?
> or is the camera aimed at the casual auto-P&S shooter ?

Like many cameras today, the FZ5 offers both a simple point-and-shoot
mode, and full control with aperture-priority, shutter priority, and full
manual control. Its shape and image stabilised long zoom would suggest
that it's pointed towards the more serious photographer, though,

On a very quick and informal comparison, I would have said that degree of
sharpening on the Pansonic FZ5 was "about the same" as that on the Nikon
Coolpix 8400.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:53:59 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:11:28 GMT, "its_my_dime"
<its_my_dime@yahoo.com.spam (hold the .spam)> wrote:

>It is kind of an awkward system. There is a barrel that fits over the lens
>(a ring has to be removed first). Then the filters/sun shade fit on the
>barrel. The system is necessarily because, when the camera is turned on,
>the lens moves from recessed to forward WITHIN the barrel. Accordingly, the
>filter can't be attached to the lens directly.

Don't they all work like this? The Canon Powershot S1 IS works
the same way, if my memory serves me well, and even the S2 IS.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Anonymous

message news:xJuve.56676$G8.31567@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> imbsysop wrote:
> []
>> interesting .. there must be illimited hords of FZ5 users then that
>> have no clue on how to use their camera for "best" results ?
>> or is the camera aimed at the casual auto-P&S shooter ?
>
> Like many cameras today, the FZ5 offers both a simple point-and-shoot
> mode, and full control with aperture-priority, shutter priority, and full
> manual control. Its shape and image stabilised long zoom would suggest
> that it's pointed towards the more serious photographer, though,

So would you recommend it over the new Canon S2 IS ? and if so an what
arguments ... I'm interested :-)
The latest review for the S2 (at dpreview) and the comparison with the FZ5
is not very conclusive IMHO ..
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:40:35 AM

imbsysop wrote:
[]
> So would you recommend it over the new Canon S2 IS ? and if so an what
> arguments ... I'm interested :-)
> The latest review for the S2 (at dpreview) and the comparison with
> the FZ5 is not very conclusive IMHO ..

I think that's probably fair comment. I know that the FZ5 works well and
can produce good results. I wish it had a swivel LCD. The movie mode
doesn't bother me that much. I would prefer a camera in black, and one
which takes a single battery instead of multiple AA cells. If I were
buying today, the Canon would definitely be in the picture, but its size,
weight and colour would count slightly against it. Would the swivel LCD
compensate for the things I don't want? I'd have to try both cameras in
the shop!

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:21:56 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:58:19 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

>imbsysop wrote:
>[]
>> So would you recommend it over the new Canon S2 IS ? and if so an what
>> arguments ... I'm interested :-)
>> The latest review for the S2 (at dpreview) and the comparison with
>> the FZ5 is not very conclusive IMHO ..
>
>I think that's probably fair comment. I know that the FZ5 works well and
>can produce good results. I wish it had a swivel LCD. The movie mode
>doesn't bother me that much. I would prefer a camera in black, and one
>which takes a single battery instead of multiple AA cells. If I were
>buying today, the Canon would definitely be in the picture, but its size,
>weight and colour would count slightly against it. Would the swivel LCD
>compensate for the things I don't want? I'd have to try both cameras in
>the shop!

thnx .. this nicely fits my personal views at the moment :-) ..
unfortunately most European shops (all?) are not very keen on
customers that walk in & ask for an intensive "test" of cameras, any
camera actually :-( .. a "buy before you try" actually :-)
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:21:57 PM

imbsysop wrote:
[]
> thnx .. this nicely fits my personal views at the moment :-) ..
> unfortunately most European shops (all?) are not very keen on
> customers that walk in & ask for an intensive "test" of cameras, any
> camera actually :-( .. a "buy before you try" actually :-)

Jessops in the UK sometimes allow this. Everything must be returned "as
new" with software unopened.

I was thinking of just trying the shop demo models in the shop, though.
Perhaps with gloves on if taking photos under the more extreme weather
conditions is important. See if there are any obvious handling
differences.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:25:48 PM

wrote:

>imbsysop wrote:
>[]
>> So would you recommend it over the new Canon S2 IS ? and if so an what
>> arguments ... I'm interested :-)
>> The latest review for the S2 (at dpreview) and the comparison with
>> the FZ5 is not very conclusive IMHO ..
>
>I think that's probably fair comment. I know that the FZ5 works well and
>can produce good results. I wish it had a swivel LCD. ..

PS a swivel LCD is a luxury that is a very big "loss" once one is used
to have one :-)
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:25:49 PM

imbsysop wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:58:19 GMT, "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> imbsysop wrote:
>> []
>>> So would you recommend it over the new Canon S2 IS ? and if so an
>>> what arguments ... I'm interested :-)
>>> The latest review for the S2 (at dpreview) and the comparison with
>>> the FZ5 is not very conclusive IMHO ..
>>
>> I think that's probably fair comment. I know that the FZ5 works
>> well and can produce good results. I wish it had a swivel LCD. ..
>
> PS a swivel LCD is a luxury that is a very big "loss" once one is used
> to have one :-)

Yes, I would agree. Originally, my wife wanted a camera to supplement her
Nikon Coolpix 990, so AA batteries and CF cards were on the feature list.
The Canon S1 would have met those requirements, but at only 3MP it offered
nothing extra in the way of resolution over the 990, so she went for the
FZ20, accepting the SD cards and Li-ion battery. She's quite happy with
the batteries, but the lack of the swivel finder on the FZ5 (compared to
the swivel body of the Nikon 990) is a significant drawback.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:03:55 PM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:00:41 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

>imbsysop wrote:
>[]
>> thnx .. this nicely fits my personal views at the moment :-) ..
>> unfortunately most European shops (all?) are not very keen on
>> customers that walk in & ask for an intensive "test" of cameras, any
>> camera actually :-( .. a "buy before you try" actually :-)
>
>Jessops in the UK sometimes allow this. Everything must be returned "as
>new" with software unopened.
>
>I was thinking of just trying the shop demo models in the shop, though.
>Perhaps with gloves on if taking photos under the more extreme weather
>conditions is important. See if there are any obvious handling
>differences.

thnx .. maybe they're even more picky about this on the continent :-)
oh well .. one can only give it a try :-)
!