System Continuously Freezing

tristo999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Hi everyone, I have been having bad freezing problems. It is not the OS for it also happened on Ubuntu. I start up the computer and It works great. Everything is happy and stuff. When suddenly it freezes. It doesnt matter if it is not running a program to running a high preformance game. Also it doesnt matter what time. It freezes at startup all the way to a few hours after. My Specs are
Crosshair V motherboard
AMD phenom x4 960T
GSKill 8gb 4x2 RAM
Western digital HDD- I know its not that
Power star 650W psu
Radeon HD 2400 pro Graphics

I am getting sick of Crashing ecspeccially in long games. I thought it was Linux but when I installed Windows the same thing happened.
Thanks for helping

tristo999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Well, I just started up windows right after the RAM Test and the memory passing When right when I get 1 program up it freezes and crashed. This is a serious problem that needs solved soon to get anything out of this computer :/

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Reseated all your components?

I presume there's nothing in your application log?

If there's nothing in your application log one could safetly assume it's hardware, in which case, you can try stuff like running on 1 HDD, 1 RAM stick at a time etc.

You've tried prime95?

If the computer freezes and does not recover then bad memory is the likely cause and even if the memory passes the memory test you should consider replacing it. A stick of 2Gig 1333Mhz of memory for testing purposes is very cheap. If the computer freezes and recovers after a while then the suspects are either a failing hard drive or a software problem. Test the hard drive with the manufacturers utility and eliminate software of being the problem by reinstalling the operating system.

tristo999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Update: I think my CPU goes to 65C every time it crashes. It is getting more frequent though. I do think I have heard my CPU can go to 90C without truly breaking. Why would it crash at 65C? Is it a motherboard or CPU problem? Will a new heat sink fix this problem?

The CPU temperature should not get that hot, You should check that the heatsink is on properly, it could be that the heatsink is not cooling all of the CPU properly causing a hot spot that will cause the Computer to crash. If you remove the heatsink it is important that you thoroughly clean both surfaces and put a high quality heatsink compound back on.

Has the heatsink leaver been pushed down? the heatink should not move if fitted correctly.

tristo999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I have tried taking on and off the heatsink multiple times refitting it and such. I think its just not good enough or defective. I have bought a new Heatsink that will arrive on Monday to try and fix the problem. If it doesnt Ill get back to you

tristo999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
The fan has arrived. It was a huge and wonderful. Too bad it doesnt stop the crashing.
CPU stays at 40C and bearly to 50 under full load. Computer crashes still. Then I decided to test the Ram. I took out one stick and then I crashed. Replaced it with old stick and crashed. Suddenly, Crashing starts to get worse and crashes when Im just browsing the internet. This is rendering my computer useless and just a pretty sight. Right now I am on my laptop. It narrows down to either the CPU, Motherboard, or if its possible the Power Supply. I am almost ready to buy a new better CPU. I cannot RMA since I bought it at Christmas and thought it was just a Linux problem. I dont know where I Can take it to get it checked or what. IF anyone knows anything that may help just please do it. When it crashes It just freezes, keyboard and mouse are unresponsive, and it does not fix itself. So oh well. No more computer for me till I find out how to fix it.

tristo999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Well. It crashed again And I decided to see exactly what happens inside when its in crashed state. looking inside everything seems normal. All lights are green and not changing to any color to notify something is wrong. All fans are working like usual. and it acts like nothing has happened. Hope this helps

tristo999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Suddenly, When trying Minecraft again I noticed another problem.
After a few minutes of playing minecraft, Suddenly the game started stuttering so bad in made it almost impossible to play. It would suddenly freeze, Unfreeze for a seound and freeze again making it almost .5 fps.
I know its not my graphics card, So This points to a processor ran or PSU problem. This isnt getting anywhere. >.> Im going to go look to make sure that the RAM is compatible

tristo999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Looking up the forum, It is not on the list. But none of the Gskill is. But I have also read many accounts where people bought this RAM with this Mobo and had no problems what so ever.

tristo999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Should I submit a faulty CPU or motherboard on the Websites for a new one. I will probably be buying a new Power supply also. If no one finds out whats wrong and my Computer Expert friend cant find it I will be getting new things. Thanks for all your help though.