Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Case Suggestions Needed

Last response: in Systems
April 22, 2012 6:57:32 PM

Hello,

I have an I7-2600K, Noctua NH-C12P SE-14 cooler, 580GTX 1.5G Ram version, 16 Gigs of 1600 mhz low voltage ram, on an ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with a Seasonic X650 Gold PSU, 2 TB HDD, 256 GB Crucial M4 SSD.

Problem: Idle at 38-40C and under Load (Here's the real problem) Temps hitting upwards towards 80C on the CPU. Not good.

I figure it's a case issue, not enough airflow so... best case (That can hold a micro atx) with decent airflow for not much money. Spent all my money on SDD and Video Card, obviously ;) 

Thanks!

No more than 150$ please.

EDIT: Tiger Direct or NewEgg Only for sources please.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2012 7:22:21 PM

What's the current case? That sounds like more of an improperly-seated-heatsink issue to me, unless you have the whole thing in a cardboard box with no airholes.
m
l
April 22, 2012 8:01:53 PM

It's a tiny @$$ Lian-Li 354B case. There is not much airflow I am sure, as there's no room for proper cable management. This is what I get for thinking 'tiny box with lots of power'. It /could/ of course be improperly mounted heat sink but I'm not sure. Either way, I need a new case and am taking suggestions as this one is hellish to clean the dust out of.
m
l
Related resources
April 22, 2012 9:42:22 PM

Interesting. Wish it had USB 3.0 ports on the 912. I find it amusing that a 'mid tower' case has dimensions of 19.50" x 9.10" x 18.90" while a 'full tower' case has dimensions of 22.70" x 9.00" x 21.50" That's only 3 inches taller by 1.6 inches in depth. So that 'mid tower' HAF 912 is nearly as large as a 932

EDIT: Oh! Forgot to mention! Main reason I think it's airflow is that I turned the fans /down/ to minimum using the built in control on the back and the temperatures actually dropped 5C down to 75C while playing TERA, I think on high it was only creating a massive turbulence in the case and not helping cooling at all.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2012 9:57:33 PM

chaos2000 said:
Interesting. Wish it had USB 3.0 ports on the 912. I find it amusing that a 'mid tower' case has dimensions of 19.50" x 9.10" x 18.90" while a 'full tower' case has dimensions of 22.70" x 9.00" x 21.50" That's only 3 inches taller by 1.6 inches in depth. So that 'mid tower' HAF 912 is nearly as large as a 932

EDIT: Oh! Forgot to mention! Main reason I think it's airflow is that I turned the fans /down/ to minimum using the built in control on the back and the temperatures actually dropped 5C down to 75C while playing TERA, I think on high it was only creating a massive turbulence in the case and not helping cooling at all.

I tell my wife that all the time with the A/C. It's actually cooler with the slower fan speed. :) 
m
l

Best solution

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2012 12:22:50 AM

I have an NZXT Phantom, its really nice. Now if you're looking for USB 3.0, they originally had 2 USB 2.0s on the front panel, but at some point they started shipping them with 1 2.0 and 1 3.0 on the front panel, mine has a single 3.0 on the front.

The Phantoms are big full tower cases, lots of good ventilation. Built in 5 channel fan speed controller. 3 are used by default, so theres 2 open channels, and mounting for additional fans on the side panel and the top, I also think theres an open slot for the front down by the hard drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
April 23, 2012 9:22:02 AM

I really like that green case there, as it so happens my computer room (Man cave) is dark forest green primary in color so that's a real smooth fit! Having to order extra fans is a pita (Why won't case manufacturer's sell cases with all the fans preinstalled? I don't get it.) but hey, that's alright. Now to see how many additional fans I'll need.

EDIT: I am really liking that Phantom, but, does it have any converter mounts for 3.5 to 2.5? I have an SSD and need to know if I need to pick up a mount for it or something.
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2012 10:12:47 AM

Silverstone TJ 08e

Micro ATX and very decent cooling . Certainly enough for your computer .

Lian Li make a similar enclosure but cant think of the model number
m
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2012 2:17:19 PM

chaos2000 said:
I really like that green case there, as it so happens my computer room (Man cave) is dark forest green primary in color so that's a real smooth fit! Having to order extra fans is a pita (Why won't case manufacturer's sell cases with all the fans preinstalled? I don't get it.) but hey, that's alright. Now to see how many additional fans I'll need.

EDIT: I am really liking that Phantom, but, does it have any converter mounts for 3.5 to 2.5? I have an SSD and need to know if I need to pick up a mount for it or something.

The hard drive trays have pilot holes for mounting with screws, for both 2.5 and 3.5. Thats the only downside of the case, they have these goofy rubber grommet things to secure the drive personally I dont like em. I took them out and used screws to mount my drives. and the case btw comes with a ton of screws.

I'm thinking how I would set it up if I had all the available fan slots populated, I'd put an intake fan on the front down by the hard drives. The single top fan and the fan on the back are both exhaust fans. The little ones on the side panel by the hard drives, they blow air across the hard drives (intakes). So you'd have 3 fans blowing air into the case on the front, you'd have your exhausts pulling out the top and back of the case. You could do an intake for the mounting for the side panel fan over the GPUs

That in theory would give you 4 fans bringing air in and 3 taking air out, and you'd have a 4th exhaust fan if you mounted your power supply to have the fan facing up into the case. I think, (again in theory) would give you something of a wind-tunnel effect like the BTX systems used.
m
l
April 23, 2012 7:33:09 PM

Yep I ordered the case, the green sold me. I also bought additional fans so it's got some stupid number of fans in it or will when I'm done. 3x200mm, 2x140mm, 1x120mm. I'll probably have both top and back on exhaust and side and front on intake. The HD thing is pretty standard, but, so long as I can get the Crucial M4 to mount securely I guess that's all that matters in the end.
m
l
April 23, 2012 7:33:20 PM

Best answer selected by chaos2000.
m
l
!