Upgrade my old Dell for more gaming

HomeGamer

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Hi Guys, got hold of an old(ish) Dell PC for not very much, and looking to upgrade it a little to enable the missus to play games (SWTOR etc.) on high/medium settings (most important thing will be for the games to run smoothly).

Current Specs:

Dell Optiplex 740
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2Ghz)
4Gb RAM
80GB HDD
DVD
PSU = Paltry 305W so will have to be a very power lite card...

I'm looking at sticking in a dedicated card to give it the 'Oomph' it needs, and i am going round and round in circles a bit trying to decide which will give the best performance.

I think (think...) that the GeForce GT 520 (1GB) Low Profile looks like a pretty good shout with regards to power for cost ratio:

http://www.saverstore.com/product/20221484/Gigabyte-GeForce-GT-520-810MHz-1GB-PCI-Express-HDMI-Low-Profile

But what are the other options?

We are looking at buying brand new tech towards the end of the summer, and i know this is far from the exciting high end of gaming, but it would mean a lot. I would love to get her a machine as powerful as possible for the budget, so any upgrades/GPU's that you can all think of that will give the best performance for, say, less that £100 will be perfect.

If i can get something today and plug it in, to allow her to game at a semi decent quality, then it will be well worth it.

Appreciate the help in advance all!