Sign in with
Your question

Xonar DGX - Low front panel volume compared to DG

Last response: in Components
August 5, 2012 4:12:41 AM

Hello everyone!

So, I currently own a Xonar DG in one of my two gaming computers, and my DG has an incredibly loud volume range from the front panel. However, when I test the Xonar DGX, the front panel is lacking substantially.

I have them both using the Xonar Uni 1.61 Drivers, on Excite (64> Ohms) mode, 24-bit, 2 channel, FP headphone, and anything else on the SAME settings.

Yet, I can turn the DGX up to 100% volume and be just fine (its ALMOST a little too loud), whereas i cant turn DG beyond 25-30% without my ears bleeding from loudness. In fact, the volume increase is minimal to none from 50%+ on the DGX front panel.

HOWEVER, when i plug my headphones into the back, it works JUST like the DG in terms of volume. Since my newer gaming PC cant do PCI cards, i cant test the DG in it, but, i could test the DGX inside the one that uses the DG and I encounter the same issue in terms of the front panel not loud at all, so I am pretty sure it is not the connector itself in the newer computer (and the onboard front panel works just fine).

I was tempted to say it was just a bad card, but this is my THIRD DGX with this problem (i have returned the other two in hopes of a fluke). Is this just a bad card in general? Are people just not aware of how loud this card actually should be in the front panel and thus don't know anything is wrong with it?

Thanks for any DGX owners input.

EDIT: I have both the left and right channels at 100%, so that is not the issue.
August 6, 2012 12:07:40 PM

Hi Armenix,

I have the same exact issue on my DGX. Initially I was think it's my old casing (I have never use Front panel before for the past 6-7 years).
I am using the official drivers, (32-64 Ohms), FP headphone.

Mobo Biostar TP67b+
Win 7 x64

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 6, 2012 5:11:04 PM

I *believe* the reason for what you describe is because of the differences between the PCI and PCI-E bus.

Power is determined by two factors: Voltage and Current, and due to the different bus architectures, I believe you are getting different voltage/currents to the front panel port between the DG and DGX, resulting in different volume levels when using the front panel port, despite the fact the DG and DGX are more or less identical, minus the bus they use.
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2012 8:41:52 AM

gamerk316 said:
I *believe* the reason for what you describe is because of the differences between the PCI and PCI-E bus.

Power is determined by two factors: Voltage and Current, and due to the different bus architectures, I believe you are getting different voltage/currents to the front panel port between the DG and DGX, resulting in different volume levels when using the front panel port, despite the fact the DG and DGX are more or less identical, minus the bus they use.

Thank you for your helpful response!!

The only problem I have with this potential explanation is...wouldn't the rear panel equally suffer due to the bus limitations?

Also, if this is the case, then will ANY PCI-E sound card suffer from these limitations?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 7, 2012 12:06:10 PM

Can't say, since I don't have my FP hooked up on my Xense. Again, I'm just guessing on this one.

Why are you trying to use the FP output anyways?
m
l
August 8, 2012 8:08:49 AM

gamerk316 said:
Can't say, since I don't have my FP hooked up on my Xense. Again, I'm just guessing on this one.

Why are you trying to use the FP output anyways?

Simply because I don't always just use headphones, so it's nice to have my speakers set up, and then just plug in my headphones when needed.

Does anyone else have any insight on this issue?
m
l
!