Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Internet speeds in countries

Last response: in Networking
Share
April 27, 2011 3:55:11 PM

Hello,

I have a simple question. Why do large countries (USA,China,Russia,Brazil,India) have slow internet speeds? Even though these countries have large population and the USA being the nation where the internet was born, have slower internet speeds compared to small countries such as South Korea which has the fastest internet speeds in the world. Why is this so? What are the factors influencing the fast internet speeds in relatively smaller countries with low population?

Best solution

April 27, 2011 4:12:28 PM

Easy!

The thing is the US actually has a Faster bandwidth then South Korea!

The problem is, the demand is 100x higher. We have business that requires many internet connections, almost every home has internet.

Technology (how fast is it?)
Demand (number of connections)
Who handles the connection? (is it locally ran or goverment ran?)
Enviroment (hard to get internet in middle of no where)

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2010/03/tech/map.broadba...

here is a map

US is about # 18th on speed

But US is #2 on the amount of users.

South Korea only has about 39 million Internet users

United States has to support its 240 million internet users... second largest in the world.


South Koreas Groth rate is at 107%

US is at 151%


So the United States has more customers it has to support, A faster growing number of customers in the future.

So even though US technology is better, its slower due to the Sheer Number of users we have to support.








Share
April 27, 2011 4:19:51 PM

Best answer selected by varun706.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 27, 2011 4:21:35 PM

c911darkwolf said:
Easy!

The thing is the US actually has a Faster bandwidth then South Korea!

The problem is, the demand is 100x higher. We have business that requires many internet connections, almost every home has internet.

Technology (how fast is it?)
Demand (number of connections)
Who handles the connection? (is it locally ran or goverment ran?)
Enviroment (hard to get internet in middle of no where)

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2010/03/tech/map.broadba...

here is a map

US is about # 18th on speed

But US is #2 on the amount of users.

South Korea only has about 39 million Internet users

United States has to support its 240 million internet users... second largest in the world.


South Koreas Groth rate is at 107%

US is at 151%


So the United States has more customers it has to support, A faster growing number of customers in the future.

So even though US technology is better, its slower due to the Sheer Number of users we have to support.



OK which country is #1 on the amount of users???
m
0
l
April 27, 2011 4:34:12 PM

Another factor is that the US covers a lot more territory which means a lot more infrastructure has to be updated !!
m
0
l
April 27, 2011 7:43:49 PM

Not sure about India, But a 20mpgs you expect to pay $55 to $75 depending on your carrier/location.
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 7:56:30 AM

c911darkwolf said:
Not sure about India, But a 20mpgs you expect to pay $55 to $75 depending on your carrier/location.


OK, in USA 20 mbps for 55-75$. But is it worth the price? Because here in India the price for a 2 mbps connection is around 2500 Rs.( Roughly equal to 55-75$) but it is not worth the price as it tends to get disconnected every 2 minutes.
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 1:28:00 PM

varun706 said:
OK, in USA 20 mbps for 55-75$. But is it worth the price? Because here in India the price for a 2 mbps connection is around 2500 Rs.( Roughly equal to 55-75$) but it is not worth the price as it tends to get disconnected every 2 minutes.


I pay $45 for 12Mbps downstream and 1.5Mbps upstream and get pretty close to the advertised rate (speedtest result 11.54\1.47Mbps currently) and have not had a loss of connection within the last month - I used to have 18Mbps up\2Mbpsdown for $65 but found most downloads never really reached 18Mbps due to the download servers speed so dropped to the 12Mbps service to save the $20 - Only problem is that next month AT&T is starting to put a 250GB monthly cap on the service so might be changing the service (don't really use more than that but dislike the idea of placing a cap on what was an unlimited service and who knows when they'll decide to drop the cap to even less once they get everyone used to having it in place - so will probably change to cable service soon.)
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 8:12:02 PM

I think thats how many companies in the US are dealing with Bandwidth issues now. It's easier to put a limit on it then to pay to upgrade the service. AT&T is really annoyed since they had a lawsuits year after year now for people not getting the speeds they paid for.

Comcast is a cable company. they also have a limit.. i'ts higher then AT&T's not sure what though.


I pay $44.95 a month for 6Mbps.. Cable in my area runs about $55 for 12Mbs. Neghboring town has 30Mbps for only $65..

For US these are good prices and most companies have reliable connections due to FCC regulations that monitor them.


The thing about AT&T that i hate. is it's 250GB no matter your service.

i.e.

250gigs is not really that bad for my 6.0 MBs connection..

But for JDFAN who is paying for a 12Mbps connection.. 250GB is a rip for him.. he should easily but set at 400-500Gb..

Where a 3.0Mbs connection shoul dbe about 150gig..

Since their is not a ratio AT&T is clearly trying to shutdown high end users.
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 9:43:26 PM

No actually the reason they are putting the Caps in place is to keep people from simply switching from their TV service and On demand downloads over to Netflix and HULU -- figure if you have to pay more when you start downloading the movies you watch from Netflix and HULU you are more apt to just pay the high fees they want for the on demand movies instead and\or keeping your TV subscription through them --- I get 250GB because I'm on Uverse with the TV service as well for those stictly on High speed internet they only get 150GB a month before having to pay more. (even though they track the internet and TV usage seperately they give those with TV service an extra 100GB of internet downloads free vs those without which pretty much shows you the real reason they are placing the caps!!(it's not to keep traffic down but to keep competing services from being cheaper)
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 10:26:25 PM

Either way, i'm already looking into a new provider. AT&T has messed up our service so many times i'ts not funny. I pay our bill 1 year at a time. Lump sum runs about 628$. 3 times last year they cut our internet off saying we hadn't paid the bill, and after arguing they found it was the wrong account. Had to fax my payment twice now. I can't stand them..

m
0
l
!