Is IB heat issue an issue?

killakiwi

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Hi there. About to buy a processor for a new build and was on track to get the 3750k. But, I have heard with the die shrink on the IB there will be heat issues. Is this a reason not to get an IB?

Investing in old tech(SB) is usually not a good idea but in this case?

Thanks lads

I'd say wait until the NDA is lifted (Monday hopefully) and Tom's, Anand, and the rest put out their full reviews of production chips. If it's a few degrees hotter under load but gives a few percentage points more performance at the same clock speed and power draw (or less) then I don't see the big deal.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
You do know it's the optimizations that bring the major performance improvements, not the die shrinks, right? Performance wise, Ivy will barely scrape above Sandy. You should wait for Haswel if you're after a desktop machine. Only look at Ivy if you're getting a laptop (for the battery life improvement).

G

go read the thread here, you might start at:
Ivy Bridge/Haswell: News, Rumors & Reviews - Page 72

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/69-cpu-chipset/45720-ivy-bridge-gets-95w-tdp-worse-overclocker-than-sandy-bridge.html
At 4.6 - 4.7 Ghz the temperature gets so high the processor throttles, meaning it clocks down to protect the processor from permanent damage. Comparing with Core i7-2600k that in many cases can do 4.8 - 5.0 GHz stable with a good after-market cooler, Ivy Bridge looks to be 200 - 300 Mhz [strike]worse[/strike] less than Sandy Bridge.

MY EDIT:
[strike]worse[/strike] less

it seems the "heat issue" is only when overclocking. though what has been stated, we really won't have confirmation until the NDA is lifted

Lieutenant Awesome

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
So you f*ckers are telling me Ivy Bridge is WORSE than Sandy Bridge, in terms of overclocking? What about the twice as good integrated graphics? I thought Ivy Bridge was smaller and let off less heat, WHAT THE ***???!!!!

G

how can it be WORSE if it wasn't bad to begin with? thats why i edited the quote, its just not as good.

sandy bridge is the best overclocking chip i have seen in years with its ease and no heat or stability related issues. christ just one click and it goes to 4.5Ghz! how can that be bad?

ivy just isn't that simple is all. people just got spoiled.

G

grfx cards barely saturate a pci 2.0 x8 slot so what the big deal about pci 3.0?

i'll answer that:
NOTHING

G

please re-read my last post.

EDIT:
maybe i should rephrase that

NO grfx card fully saturates a pci 2.0 slot x8 so what is the big deal with pci 3.0?

NOTHING

G

for overclocking w/o an potential heat issues . .what are you waiting for?!

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
There's no reason a Z77 board wouldn't be a fine choice even for a Sandy Bridge CPU. Also the reason behind the increased heat that's been thrown out around here is that even though the chip is smaller, it's actually putting out more heat per unit of surface area than Sandy Bridge which is causing it to run hotter.

G

its is ALL interchangeable:
sandy CPUs on ivy boards and ivy CPUs on sandy boards.

it seems the Z77s (generally) overclock the SAME as a Z68:
Intel Z77 Express Chipset Review
it does NOT use a comparison with the board you have in mind but is generally speaking.

here is a review of several boards:
Intel Z77 Panther Point Chipset and Motherboard Preview – ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, ECS and Biostar
and another review of a gigabyte board:
Review: Intel Z77 chipset and Gigabyte Z77-D3H motherboard

i have my opinion. after reading those i hope you can happily make your own informed choice :)

Lieutenant Awesome

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Thankyou, you have helped me. :)

So anyway, what can Ivy overclock to without having problems? Would an aftermarket cooler, a really good one solve that? Did the people testing it actually use an aftermarket cooler after overclocking it?

Can a Z77 board overclock slighty better than Z68?

If I buy a Z77 board, will I be able to run 4th gen CPUs when they come out in 2013 on it?

Are you basically telling me I have to buy an old CPU because the ones I've waited for to come out are going to be ***

johnpaul182

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

I was reading a review earlier that said, they was able to overclock the 3570K to 4.9Ghz.

johnpaul182

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

Well, whatever they used they used it on the 2500K too and they could only get it to 4.8Ghz!

Overclocking is not a linear gain in performance. A reasonably OC'd IB should be comparable to a reasonably (but slightly more) OC's SB so why not go IB?

You also get a better iGPU that should make better use of Virtu MVP on an Asus, ASRock, or Gigabyte board (not sure who else is using this - looks like MSI is not).

+1