Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which psu should i get?

Last response: in Components
August 5, 2012 5:50:58 AM

i was looking at the corsair 1200i and the XFX ProSeries 1000W 80+ platinum, but im not sure which one to get. the wattage amount doesnt matter, and i would like to custom sleeve all the cables, but that seems like it would be a little hard with the all black cable with the corsair 1200i...so...which one?

More about : psu

August 5, 2012 5:58:20 AM

do you need that many watts? are you running high end gpus in sli or something? and corsair is a trustworthy brand and they make quality psus.
August 5, 2012 7:11:40 AM

fallen17754 said:
do you need that many watts? are you running high end gpus in sli or something? and corsair is a trustworthy brand and they make quality psus.

Corsair has other manufacturers like CWT and Seasonic make their PS. XFX has Seasonic.

Dave
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 5, 2012 8:12:10 AM

How does wattage amount not matter ... that is the entire reason you buy a PSU. You only need a 1000w if you are doing quad crossfire or the equivalent.

What kind of system are you putting it in?
August 5, 2012 5:45:29 PM

i plan on making a gaming/overclocking system. i just want to keep some headroom for upgrades in the future.

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
August 5, 2012 5:56:32 PM

radmanhs said:
i plan on making a gaming/overclocking system. i just want to keep some headroom for upgrades in the future.

Ok, thats fair - just keep in mind what the ranges are here. A good quality 550-600w is plenty for crossfire. 700w is usually enough for three high end cards. Given increases in component efficiency, its actually pretty difficult to put together a new system that actually NEEDS 1000w. That said, people tend to buy a lot more than they need in the PSU space. That's certainly fine as long as you have a high enough quality unit that it doesn't waste power you aren't using.

You indicated you were looking at platinum models above -- I encourage you to focus on the platinum/gold -- quality is really more important than wattage, particularly if you are planning for the future/long term.

Comment: I have a strong personal bias for Seasonic and Seasonic manufactured units (they make a lot of the highest end PSUs for other companies).
August 5, 2012 5:57:45 PM

1000w is way too much ... probably even when you go quad.
Can you specify the graphics cards you will have in it?
August 5, 2012 6:31:00 PM

Best answer selected by radmanhs.
!