Sign in with
Your question

TOM'S HARDWARE 3RD PARTIES

Last response: in Forum Feedback
March 8, 2012 11:05:04 PM

At http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/268725-30-what-gigaby... there are according to Ghostery something like 14 trackers.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14093085/toms%20hardware%20trac...

signing up involved 17 of them, including google analytics. Can someone inform me; does that mean that google owns tom's hardware? Posting this comment will involve about 18

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14093085/toms%20hardware%20trac...

i signed up merely to support someone who, it appeared to me, had been unjustly taken to task for the crime of 'resurrection' as follows;

"
Quote:
What are you guys talking about? "Anonymous" was very helpful for me just now. I searched for a solution to my problem, and not until I read "Anonymous"'s response did I decide that I would definitely uninstall this application. I have never in my life seen someone actually discourage the active communication of a relevant solution to a public. Usually it's just inaction by the many that is seen

If you hadn't realized it, the existence of this application in the add/remove programs list is such that no clue is provided as to it's purpose. A user has a choice -- either search for the thing on the internet or search for variations/combinations of "browser" "configuration" and "utility" in windows. I use Win 7 so the latter is quite easy to do -- windows button, click, start typing. Now, coming short on answers, one would logically fall back on Plan B, search for it on the internet. Here is a thread that is first in my list of relevant search results. Also, you may notice that common sites like Toms are regularly indexed by search engines

As an owner of a GA-P55A-UD4P, I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly this resolution allowed me to progress from "wtf is this sh**" to "ahhh, get the hell outta here jerk"

That is until I read you're ridiculous reactions to this thread, and was compelled to respond (anonymously, hopefully).

FYI and all that

for me it was simple. search term; 'browser configuratiuon utility' result no.1; this thread. read contributions from ekoostik and anonymous. anonymous's seemed the most comprehensively useful.
so i have to say i agree with where the reasonable people are at. simple; needed the info; it was here.

thanks, anonymous, you saved the day"

Anyway, I think there is too much STUFF in the way of participation in this site, between the mods and the trackers, and probably it's best to seek cleaner sites.
March 8, 2012 11:25:32 PM

Copyright © 1999- Bestofmedia Group. All Rights Reserved
That about sums that up dont you think, If you dont know what bestofmedia is all about then you should read how they make money, also whom their cache servers are. Who knows maybe you are a cache now
March 9, 2012 1:50:31 AM

To get capability to post comment, the one of those entities/'Trackers' that seemed to be essential not to block, was google analytics, hence that question. The name of the company on the site doesn't necessarily preclude that company from being part of another, google for example, though I'm inferring from your reply that's not the case here. I hope you will forgive me if I prioritise my time such that I don't go into researching this site's ownership and MO, except to observe that, for me...
there's too much 3rd party activity here- I guess apropos of how they make their money that they're not doing too badly- sites with a lot less baggage do beckon. Good luck in your tom's hardware career gomerpile.
Related resources
March 9, 2012 4:12:11 AM

Are you saying that you needed to allow GA to post? That seems unlikely, but extremely odd if true. I block all trackers, ads and unnecessary scripts and generally don't have trouble posting.
March 9, 2012 9:34:23 AM

We can't do without Mods - anarchy would ensue - and as to trackers, anyone who uses the Internet has to get used to being tracked and targeted with adverts. That's the new reality and in fact it isn't that new - we're only just hearing more about it because of Google's change in privacy policy.

For my sins, I have an Android mobile phone and therefore have to have a Google account and G-Mail address. With that goes the need to accept that an advert for anything similar to my last search will appear in my Spam folder within an hour or so of the search.

March 9, 2012 10:45:46 PM

Actually it wasn't the FACT of mods but rather their tone on the thread i encountered. It didn't recommend this site to this punter.
As for the 'reality', that's what we make it as a factor of what we're willing to accept. I prefer less tracking; you're content with more. I won't be complaining to you about big brother or the society of the panopticon :)  Though I might not agree to shut up about it either, even under pressure from the yes-men :) 
March 10, 2012 9:32:53 AM

http://compasscross.com/
http://www.bestofmedia.com/audience.php?langue=en

That fact remains in the link. When one resorts to selling a small section of the website with the I ACCEPT BUTTON, we can only hope its a high end marketing that filters and restricts whom is cached to your, I ACCEPT AREA OF THE WEBSITE.
I believe BOF is using smarter 3rd party.
@ thusr great word to discribe google PANOPTICON.
March 10, 2012 2:35:00 PM

if all we can do is hope [and comply] then we're the cattle they take us for
March 12, 2012 2:15:16 PM

We'd appreciate it if you'd fork over your dental records as well. We need to know what variety of toothpaste you'd most likely consider purchasing.

Seriously though, most of those are for metrics tracking purposes, and I use 'em myself to tell whether or not we're doing a good job here. I want to know when you sign up, how likely it is you are going to post in the next few days. Or if you sign up, if your email was validated, what part of the world you came from, and whether or not it was our Facebook page or one of our editorial features that brought you here and encouraged you to get involved. I assure you, we aren't compiling dossiers on what flavor yogurt you like. (Blueberry granola, am I right?)

Yes, there are ad trackers and cookies and whatnot as well. The ads on the site help pay for not only bandwidth, but the reporters and editorial team.
March 12, 2012 10:34:05 PM

jpishgar said:
We'd appreciate it if you'd fork over your dental records as well. We need to know what variety of toothpaste you'd most likely consider purchasing.

Whatever's on sale

Seriously though, most of those are for metrics tracking purposes, and I use 'em myself to tell whether or not we're doing a good job here.

Um.... Actually, there is one little... oh, never mind.

I want to know when you sign up, how likely it is you are going to post in the next few days.

Isn't this a bit like trying to forecast the weather?

Or if you sign up, if your email was validated, what part of the world you came from,

Will this work with me? I use a permanent proxy to get all the good .com channels (Venezuela to the Sprint hub in Kansas, U.S.). However, if you put the right little Java script in there, my computer will tell it's true public IP.

and whether or not it was our Facebook page or one of our editorial features that brought you here and encouraged you to get involved. I assure you, we aren't compiling dossiers on what flavor yogurt you like. (Blueberry granola, am I right?)

Dude! You're like Soooo busted now. How else would you know? I'm deleting my coolkies every hour from now on.

Yes, there are ad trackers and cookies and whatnot as well.

Ah-Ha, so you do admit it... See, I'm not so crazy after all.

The ads on the site help pay for not only bandwidth, but the reporters and editorial team.

What? the reporters get paid? How about the Mods? They do most of the work around here (or so I've been told).

Edit: Ooops! I clicked the 'submit' button instead of 'Preview'. [:tigsounds:5] Purely an accident, ignore all this.
March 12, 2012 11:02:32 PM

tigsounds said:
Edit: Ooops! I clicked the 'submit' button instead of 'Preview'. [:tigsounds:5] Purely an accident, ignore all this.

There are far too many here
March 12, 2012 11:27:12 PM

...and, since you are so enamoured of free market forces, it will make sense to you if this particular user posesses, expresses and acts upon a preference. I prefer cleaner sites. And so do a lot of other people who are aided by other, technically minded people who make the trackers easy to detect and eliminate.

I do not like to be targeted so frenziedly for advertising, and a lot of other people take the same view. I'll go, for the most part, to cleaner sites, sites with fewer trackers.

Anyway, enough energy has been wasted on this punter expressing preferences and the sock puppets applying social pressure to suppress that. It's become tedious.

March 13, 2012 12:25:27 AM

thusr said:
...and, since you are so enamoured of free market forces, it will make sense to you if this particular user posesses, expresses and acts upon a preference. I prefer cleaner sites. And so do a lot of other people who are aided by other, technically minded people who make the trackers easy to detect and eliminate.

I do not like to be targeted so frenziedly for advertising, and a lot of other people take the same view. I'll go, for the most part, to cleaner sites, sites with fewer trackers.

Anyway, enough energy has been wasted on this punter expressing preferences and the sock puppets applying social pressure to suppress that. It's become tedious.

Luckily that is each individual persons choice!
March 13, 2012 4:16:39 AM

thusr said:
I'll go, for the most part, to cleaner sites, sites with fewer trackers.

Suit yourself. Nobody is forcing you to be here. [:randomizer]
March 13, 2012 8:56:39 PM

Grabs some crackers and feeds the squirrels, while drinking some Coors lite, my neighbors are watching, the dude in black sells underwear. Just great a new flyer. Fruit of the looms. Grabs a new drink reading the new flyer
March 24, 2012 6:33:49 AM

randomizer said:
Suit yourself. Nobody is forcing you to be here. [:randomizer]

True, and obvious. This punter has returned to respond to some misguided remarks that the original post evoked, though it's not such great fun here, because this issue is important.

The tracking that goes on here and on countless other sites is covert of course; that alone is suss. People are copping on to it though, and they don't like it much. Some sites cash in to a very much greater extent than others, and with the outing of this info [which of course sites love to avoid, and having failed to avoid, try to ridicule], people will vote, as I'll shortly do, with their feet.

A cursory search throws up a few survey-related articles. There are surely more.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/16/technology/internet/1...
http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/technology/technolog...
http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20121503-23223.html

A scenario; a person - not you, not me [to be gracious above and beyond- enters into the oracle the search terms "cure for small dick, nob growth, penis bigger" in an unguarded moment. Elsewhere, he's given, on some site rego form, age, location and income data. And now the ads on every single webpage he visits tell him about discount penis enlargement clinics in his suburb, complete with sad/scary diagrams, appeals to his vanity, and predation on his fears and embarrassment. Now, he will never, ever, ever again be allowed to forget for a moment that infuriating, miserable inch of shame.

So, free-marketeers and/or sock puppets who've 'contributed' to this thread, how many of you allow all those ads/popups and block none of them? How many of you freely yield your personal data and don't use flash or script blockers, and permit all cookies, no expiry etc etc? Provide browser screenshots please. Maybe this is the next wave in the status anxiety race to the top of whatever peer pond you swim in; for American Psychos of the new millenium, we get to compare -whose ads are for haute couture, space tourism, organic yak wax chest hair conditioner from the kobresia pastures of upper Tibet [blessed by the dalai lama], lamborghinis or whatever costs the most $$, and whose ads are for Closing Down Sale Reject Shop plastic replica dicks on sticks and cheap hard liquor to anaesthetise you against your hall-of-mirrors, infinitely reflected back at you personal hell.

How long you'll be getting those ads [how long the third parties will keep and use your info] is a whole nother realm of fear- sorry- area of minimal concern.

Persons more than minimally concerned about this but not yet clued in might like to see this article in 3 parts https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/09/new-cookie-techno...
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/09/online-trackers-a...
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/01/tracking-by-user-...
March 24, 2012 9:43:46 AM

Well, I'm not sure how much of that post was directed at me and how much was directed at nobody in particular. But, FWIW, I have already said that I block these things; much to the disbelief of friends who work in marketing agencies.
!