HL2 on the Xbox

jlc

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is working
on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He mentioned
that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has been
fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox. During the interview
there was a lot of footage from the Xbox game and I was really amazed on how
good it looked considering it was playing on a $150 console. Also there was
an interview with Gabe (man that guy looks like he is going to explode he's
so big now!) And he was going on about how excited he is now that he is
going to license the Source engine to console game developers. I found this
stuff on this months OXM demo disc #45 JLC

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
working
> on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He
mentioned
> that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has
been
> fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox. During the interview
> there was a lot of footage from the Xbox game and I was really amazed on
how
> good it looked considering it was playing on a $150 console. Also there
was
> an interview with Gabe (man that guy looks like he is going to explode
he's
> so big now!) And he was going on about how excited he is now that he is
> going to license the Source engine to console game developers. I found
this
> stuff on this months OXM demo disc #45 JLC

No way HL2 comes close to it's PC counterpart on the XBox.
ID proved that with Doom 3. They should just build it for the 360.

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Just releasing it without Steam would alone make it better than the PC
version....

Yeah, there's nothing I like better when I'm looking for a fast paced
action game than to get a splash screen saying "Updating.... game will
load in 5 minutes...."

- Jordan

JLC wrote:
> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is working
> on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He mentioned
> that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has been
> fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox.

I had massive stuttering problems, no amount of tweaks or driver
fiddling would help, but then I reinstalled on a slightly faster hard
drive and it's smooth as silk.

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Huh, so you have to start Steam on it's own (not HL2, but Steam), when
you aren't connected to the Internet and, if you are up to date, it
will run without a net connection.

Yeah, that's logical to play a game...

- Jordan

"Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message
> JLC wrote:
>> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
>> working on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me.
>> He mentioned that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems,
>> but that has been fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox.
>
> I had massive stuttering problems, no amount of tweaks or driver fiddling
> would help, but then I reinstalled on a slightly faster hard drive and
> it's smooth as silk.

My guess is you would have been better off wth more RAM. The game was
likely paging to disk a lot because of insufficient memory.

"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
> working
>> on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He
> mentioned
>> that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has
> been
>> fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox. During the interview
>> there was a lot of footage from the Xbox game and I was really amazed on
> how
>> good it looked considering it was playing on a $150 console. Also there
> was
>> an interview with Gabe (man that guy looks like he is going to explode
> he's
>> so big now!) And he was going on about how excited he is now that he is
>> going to license the Source engine to console game developers. I found
> this
>> stuff on this months OXM demo disc #45 JLC
>
> No way HL2 comes close to it's PC counterpart on the XBox.
> ID proved that with Doom 3. They should just build it for the 360.

The Xbox version of DOOM3 is a better game than the PC one IMO. Not
graphically, but the co-op alone makes it more worth the money.

JLC wrote:

> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
> working on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got
> me. He mentioned that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering
> problems, but that has been fixed and the game now runs very smooth
> on the Xbox.

I played through most of the Ravenholm level on Xbox HL2 and while it's damn
impressive they've been able to port the game to a console, there's no way
you'd mistake it for the PC version -- lower resolution, slower framerates
(tho I guess that depends on what kind of PC you're used to playing it on)
etc. But near as I could tell the level was identical in layout, enemies,
etc. to the PC version. Maybe by stuttering he means that weird mini-freeze
thing that would happen during loading screens on a lot of people's PCs.

-Z-

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

I saw it in action at E3 on the Xbox and I can confirm that other than
lower resolution, it looks just like the PC version - bump-mapping,
lighting, and all.

"Scream" <scream1969@REMOVETEXTINCAPShotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
>> working
>>> on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He
>> mentioned
>>> that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has
>> been
>>> fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox. During the
>>> interview
>>> there was a lot of footage from the Xbox game and I was really amazed on
>> how
>>> good it looked considering it was playing on a $150 console. Also there
>> was
>>> an interview with Gabe (man that guy looks like he is going to explode
>> he's
>>> so big now!) And he was going on about how excited he is now that he is
>>> going to license the Source engine to console game developers. I found
>> this
>>> stuff on this months OXM demo disc #45 JLC
>>
>> No way HL2 comes close to it's PC counterpart on the XBox.
>> ID proved that with Doom 3. They should just build it for the 360.
>>

> The Xbox version of DOOM3 is a better game than the PC one IMO. Not
> graphically, but the co-op alone makes it more worth the money.

Co-op is very cool. But the single player game of Doom3 on the PC blows the
doors off the X-box version. Bigger levels, smoother play, absolutely
jawdroppingly immersive graphics. No contest. Somebody is working on a Doom3
co-op mod for the PC too.

- Cryo

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Scream" <scream1969@REMOVETEXTINCAPShotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
> > working
> >> on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He
> > mentioned
> >> that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has
> > been
> >> fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox. During the
interview
> >> there was a lot of footage from the Xbox game and I was really amazed
on
> > how
> >> good it looked considering it was playing on a $150 console. Also there
> > was
> >> an interview with Gabe (man that guy looks like he is going to explode
> > he's
> >> so big now!) And he was going on about how excited he is now that he is
> >> going to license the Source engine to console game developers. I found
> > this
> >> stuff on this months OXM demo disc #45 JLC
> >
> > No way HL2 comes close to it's PC counterpart on the XBox.
> > ID proved that with Doom 3. They should just build it for the 360.
> >

> The Xbox version of DOOM3 is a better game than the PC one IMO. Not
> graphically, but the co-op alone makes it more worth the money.

fun factor, maybe
but graphics and frame rate, not even close to the PC

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Just releasing it without Steam would alone make it better than the PC
> version....

agreed but this is a game better suited for the 360 and not the original
XBox

On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:20:34 -0400, "Boody Bandit"
<boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
>working
>> on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He
>mentioned
>> that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has
>been
>> fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox. During the interview
>> there was a lot of footage from the Xbox game and I was really amazed on
>how
>> good it looked considering it was playing on a $150 console. Also there
>was
>> an interview with Gabe (man that guy looks like he is going to explode
>he's
>> so big now!) And he was going on about how excited he is now that he is
>> going to license the Source engine to console game developers. I found
>this
>> stuff on this months OXM demo disc #45 JLC
>
>No way HL2 comes close to it's PC counterpart on the XBox.
>ID proved that with Doom 3. They should just build it for the 360.

I never had a stuttering problem whilst playing HL2 either - i do
have a question regarding the XBox version though.. we all know that
the PC had to be connected to the internet in order to validate your
CD key and for updating etc.. so, how is this going to work on the
XBox - does the XBox version of HL2 require an internet connection?
I think i read that there are 300,000 users on XBox Live - yet 14mil
XBox's have been sold in the US.. seems a bit elitist that HL2 is only
going to be available for those 300,000 - what about the other
13.7mil? I'm pretty sure that there are quite a few of them you would
relish playing HL2. Another question is this - if the XBox doesn't
require an internet connection then why did the PC version?

toadie

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Actually I just got to the part where I got my suit, the teleport
failed, and I'm manually making my way through the tunnels. I haven't
put much time into it that's for sure, but the reason for that is the
long delays in actually starting the game.

It's time that I could be spending on Guild Wars instead. :^)

Guild Wars, BTW, is the MMORPG plan that I've been promoting for years.
Leave the online play for free and if you want more money then release
new content and charge for the content. I'm curious to see if it
actually works out. It's the first online game I've played since
Phantasy Star Online was free.

- Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
working
> on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He
mentioned
> that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has
been
> fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox. During the interview
> there was a lot of footage from the Xbox game and I was really amazed on
how
> good it looked considering it was playing on a $150 console. Also there
was
> an interview with Gabe (man that guy looks like he is going to explode
he's
> so big now!) And he was going on about how excited he is now that he is
> going to license the Source engine to console game developers. I found
this
> stuff on this months OXM demo disc #45 JLC

Some of us had the stuttering problem during game play. It was caused by
the game saving during gameplay prior to major combat. The fix was to go
into the ini file and set autosave to 0. I also heard that a patch fixed
it.

Andrew

On 23 May 2005 08:23:03 -0700, "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Yeah, there's nothing I like better when I'm looking for a fast paced
>action game than to get a splash screen saying "Updating.... game will
>load in 5 minutes...."

Run it in offline mode if you don't want the updates then.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
working
> on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He
mentioned
> that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has
been
> fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox. During the interview
> there was a lot of footage from the Xbox game and I was really amazed on
how
> good it looked considering it was playing on a $150 console. Also there
was
> an interview with Gabe (man that guy looks like he is going to explode
he's
> so big now!) And he was going on about how excited he is now that he is
> going to license the Source engine to console game developers. I found
this
> stuff on this months OXM demo disc #45 JLC

It would be amazing given how much memory the Xbox has.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Hi,

In article <1116864423.656825.174890@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Jordan <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote:
#You can't run it in offline mode.
#
#- Jordan

???

That's odd, playing HL2 on my PC is what I do when my home's broadband
is down and I can't surf. Perhaps you're thinking of the xbox version?
Don't know how that works.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

In article <zvSdnZc9IvVFng_fRVn-3A@comcast.com>, JLC <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:
#And another thing I forgot last night was the fact that because of the way
#the Xbox is designed the game is going to have even better lighting effects
#then the PC version! It kinda gets me that Valve could actually improve the
#game when making it for the Xbox.

:^)

Troll? Imposter? Parody? The Direct-X 7-ish qualities of the Xbox are
well known.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

You forgot liar...

--
Remove nospam to email

Scream wrote:
> "Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message
>
>>JLC wrote:
>>
>>>I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
>>>working on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me.
>>>He mentioned that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems,
>>>but that has been fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox.
>>
>>I had massive stuttering problems, no amount of tweaks or driver fiddling
>>would help, but then I reinstalled on a slightly faster hard drive and
>>it's smooth as silk.
>

> My guess is you would have been better off wth more RAM. The game was
> likely paging to disk a lot because of insufficient memory.

Doubt it, I have 1Gig of PC3200.

Jamie_Manic wrote:
> JLC wrote:
>
>> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
>> working on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got
>> me. He mentioned that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering
>> problems, but that has been fixed and the game now runs very smooth on
>> the Xbox.
>

> I had massive stuttering problems, no amount of tweaks or driver
> fiddling would help, but then I reinstalled on a slightly faster hard
> drive and it's smooth as silk.

I just slammed in another 512MB to bring my total RAM capacity to 1GB.
Stuttering is now virtually absent.

"Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
> You forgot liar...

The fact that HL2 Xbox will have better lighting effects is a well know
fact. It was covered last month in a long PC Gamer article and it was said
on the interview that you can go out and buy at your local newsstands right
now. It's on this months Official Xbox Magazines demo disc #45. There's
three separate HL2 interviews, one with Gabe himself and a couple of other
guys on the HL2 to Xbox team. Do a little research before you go calling
someone a liar/troll. You don't work for Newsweek do you?