HL2 on the Xbox

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is working
on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He mentioned
that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has been
fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox. During the interview
there was a lot of footage from the Xbox game and I was really amazed on how
good it looked considering it was playing on a $150 console. Also there was
an interview with Gabe (man that guy looks like he is going to explode he's
so big now!) And he was going on about how excited he is now that he is
going to license the Source engine to console game developers. I found this
stuff on this months OXM demo disc #45 JLC
40 answers Last reply
More about xbox
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
    working
    > on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He
    mentioned
    > that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has
    been
    > fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox. During the interview
    > there was a lot of footage from the Xbox game and I was really amazed on
    how
    > good it looked considering it was playing on a $150 console. Also there
    was
    > an interview with Gabe (man that guy looks like he is going to explode
    he's
    > so big now!) And he was going on about how excited he is now that he is
    > going to license the Source engine to console game developers. I found
    this
    > stuff on this months OXM demo disc #45 JLC

    No way HL2 comes close to it's PC counterpart on the XBox.
    ID proved that with Doom 3. They should just build it for the 360.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Just releasing it without Steam would alone make it better than the PC
    version....

    Yeah, there's nothing I like better when I'm looking for a fast paced
    action game than to get a splash screen saying "Updating.... game will
    load in 5 minutes...."

    - Jordan
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    JLC wrote:
    > I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is working
    > on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He mentioned
    > that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has been
    > fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox.

    I had massive stuttering problems, no amount of tweaks or driver
    fiddling would help, but then I reinstalled on a slightly faster hard
    drive and it's smooth as silk.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    You can't run it in offline mode.

    - Jordan
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Huh, so you have to start Steam on it's own (not HL2, but Steam), when
    you aren't connected to the Internet and, if you are up to date, it
    will run without a net connection.

    Yeah, that's logical to play a game...

    - Jordan
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message
    > JLC wrote:
    >> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
    >> working on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me.
    >> He mentioned that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems,
    >> but that has been fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox.
    >
    > I had massive stuttering problems, no amount of tweaks or driver fiddling
    > would help, but then I reinstalled on a slightly faster hard drive and
    > it's smooth as silk.

    My guess is you would have been better off wth more RAM. The game was
    likely paging to disk a lot because of insufficient memory.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
    > working
    >> on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He
    > mentioned
    >> that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has
    > been
    >> fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox. During the interview
    >> there was a lot of footage from the Xbox game and I was really amazed on
    > how
    >> good it looked considering it was playing on a $150 console. Also there
    > was
    >> an interview with Gabe (man that guy looks like he is going to explode
    > he's
    >> so big now!) And he was going on about how excited he is now that he is
    >> going to license the Source engine to console game developers. I found
    > this
    >> stuff on this months OXM demo disc #45 JLC
    >
    > No way HL2 comes close to it's PC counterpart on the XBox.
    > ID proved that with Doom 3. They should just build it for the 360.

    The Xbox version of DOOM3 is a better game than the PC one IMO. Not
    graphically, but the co-op alone makes it more worth the money.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    JLC wrote:

    > I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
    > working on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got
    > me. He mentioned that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering
    > problems, but that has been fixed and the game now runs very smooth
    > on the Xbox.

    I played through most of the Ravenholm level on Xbox HL2 and while it's damn
    impressive they've been able to port the game to a console, there's no way
    you'd mistake it for the PC version -- lower resolution, slower framerates
    (tho I guess that depends on what kind of PC you're used to playing it on)
    etc. But near as I could tell the level was identical in layout, enemies,
    etc. to the PC version. Maybe by stuttering he means that weird mini-freeze
    thing that would happen during loading screens on a lot of people's PCs.

    -Z-
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    I saw it in action at E3 on the Xbox and I can confirm that other than
    lower resolution, it looks just like the PC version - bump-mapping,
    lighting, and all.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Scream" <scream1969@REMOVETEXTINCAPShotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
    >> working
    >>> on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He
    >> mentioned
    >>> that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has
    >> been
    >>> fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox. During the
    >>> interview
    >>> there was a lot of footage from the Xbox game and I was really amazed on
    >> how
    >>> good it looked considering it was playing on a $150 console. Also there
    >> was
    >>> an interview with Gabe (man that guy looks like he is going to explode
    >> he's
    >>> so big now!) And he was going on about how excited he is now that he is
    >>> going to license the Source engine to console game developers. I found
    >> this
    >>> stuff on this months OXM demo disc #45 JLC
    >>
    >> No way HL2 comes close to it's PC counterpart on the XBox.
    >> ID proved that with Doom 3. They should just build it for the 360.
    >>

    > The Xbox version of DOOM3 is a better game than the PC one IMO. Not
    > graphically, but the co-op alone makes it more worth the money.

    Co-op is very cool. But the single player game of Doom3 on the PC blows the
    doors off the X-box version. Bigger levels, smoother play, absolutely
    jawdroppingly immersive graphics. No contest. Somebody is working on a Doom3
    co-op mod for the PC too.

    - Cryo
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Scream" <scream1969@REMOVETEXTINCAPShotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
    > > working
    > >> on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He
    > > mentioned
    > >> that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has
    > > been
    > >> fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox. During the
    interview
    > >> there was a lot of footage from the Xbox game and I was really amazed
    on
    > > how
    > >> good it looked considering it was playing on a $150 console. Also there
    > > was
    > >> an interview with Gabe (man that guy looks like he is going to explode
    > > he's
    > >> so big now!) And he was going on about how excited he is now that he is
    > >> going to license the Source engine to console game developers. I found
    > > this
    > >> stuff on this months OXM demo disc #45 JLC
    > >
    > > No way HL2 comes close to it's PC counterpart on the XBox.
    > > ID proved that with Doom 3. They should just build it for the 360.
    > >

    > The Xbox version of DOOM3 is a better game than the PC one IMO. Not
    > graphically, but the co-op alone makes it more worth the money.

    fun factor, maybe
    but graphics and frame rate, not even close to the PC
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Just releasing it without Steam would alone make it better than the PC
    > version....

    agreed but this is a game better suited for the 360 and not the original
    XBox

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:20:34 -0400, "Boody Bandit"
    <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
    >working
    >> on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He
    >mentioned
    >> that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has
    >been
    >> fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox. During the interview
    >> there was a lot of footage from the Xbox game and I was really amazed on
    >how
    >> good it looked considering it was playing on a $150 console. Also there
    >was
    >> an interview with Gabe (man that guy looks like he is going to explode
    >he's
    >> so big now!) And he was going on about how excited he is now that he is
    >> going to license the Source engine to console game developers. I found
    >this
    >> stuff on this months OXM demo disc #45 JLC
    >
    >No way HL2 comes close to it's PC counterpart on the XBox.
    >ID proved that with Doom 3. They should just build it for the 360.

    I never had a stuttering problem whilst playing HL2 either - i do
    have a question regarding the XBox version though.. we all know that
    the PC had to be connected to the internet in order to validate your
    CD key and for updating etc.. so, how is this going to work on the
    XBox - does the XBox version of HL2 require an internet connection?
    I think i read that there are 300,000 users on XBox Live - yet 14mil
    XBox's have been sold in the US.. seems a bit elitist that HL2 is only
    going to be available for those 300,000 - what about the other
    13.7mil? I'm pretty sure that there are quite a few of them you would
    relish playing HL2. Another question is this - if the XBox doesn't
    require an internet connection then why did the PC version?

    toadie
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Actually I just got to the part where I got my suit, the teleport
    failed, and I'm manually making my way through the tunnels. I haven't
    put much time into it that's for sure, but the reason for that is the
    long delays in actually starting the game.

    It's time that I could be spending on Guild Wars instead. :^)

    Guild Wars, BTW, is the MMORPG plan that I've been promoting for years.
    Leave the online play for free and if you want more money then release
    new content and charge for the content. I'm curious to see if it
    actually works out. It's the first online game I've played since
    Phantasy Star Online was free.

    - Jordan
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
    working
    > on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He
    mentioned
    > that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has
    been
    > fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox. During the interview
    > there was a lot of footage from the Xbox game and I was really amazed on
    how
    > good it looked considering it was playing on a $150 console. Also there
    was
    > an interview with Gabe (man that guy looks like he is going to explode
    he's
    > so big now!) And he was going on about how excited he is now that he is
    > going to license the Source engine to console game developers. I found
    this
    > stuff on this months OXM demo disc #45 JLC

    Some of us had the stuttering problem during game play. It was caused by
    the game saving during gameplay prior to major combat. The fix was to go
    into the ini file and set autosave to 0. I also heard that a patch fixed
    it.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 23 May 2005 08:23:03 -0700, "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Yeah, there's nothing I like better when I'm looking for a fast paced
    >action game than to get a splash screen saying "Updating.... game will
    >load in 5 minutes...."

    Run it in offline mode if you don't want the updates then.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
    working
    > on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me. He
    mentioned
    > that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems, but that has
    been
    > fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox. During the interview
    > there was a lot of footage from the Xbox game and I was really amazed on
    how
    > good it looked considering it was playing on a $150 console. Also there
    was
    > an interview with Gabe (man that guy looks like he is going to explode
    he's
    > so big now!) And he was going on about how excited he is now that he is
    > going to license the Source engine to console game developers. I found
    this
    > stuff on this months OXM demo disc #45 JLC

    It would be amazing given how much memory the Xbox has.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Jordan wrote:

    > You can't run [Half-life 2] in offline mode.

    You are mistaken on this point.

    http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=faq&id=1050915505,27362300,1050915714,91503900
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Hi,

    In article <1116864423.656825.174890@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Jordan <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote:
    #You can't run it in offline mode.
    #
    #- Jordan

    ???

    That's odd, playing HL2 on my PC is what I do when my home's broadband
    is down and I can't surf. Perhaps you're thinking of the xbox version?
    Don't know how that works.

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    In article <zvSdnZc9IvVFng_fRVn-3A@comcast.com>, JLC <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:
    #And another thing I forgot last night was the fact that because of the way
    #the Xbox is designed the game is going to have even better lighting effects
    #then the PC version! It kinda gets me that Valve could actually improve the
    #game when making it for the Xbox.

    :^)

    Troll? Imposter? Parody? The Direct-X 7-ish qualities of the Xbox are
    well known.

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    You forgot liar...

    --
    Remove nospam to email
    "Ken Marsh" <kmarsh@fellspt.charm.net> wrote in message
    > In article <zvSdnZc9IvVFng_fRVn-3A@comcast.com>, JLC <j.jc@nospam.com>
    > wrote:
    > #And another thing I forgot last night was the fact that because of the
    > way
    > #the Xbox is designed the game is going to have even better lighting
    > effects
    > #then the PC version! It kinda gets me that Valve could actually improve
    > the
    > #game when making it for the Xbox.
    >
    > :^)
    >
    > Troll? Imposter? Parody? The Direct-X 7-ish qualities of the Xbox are
    > well known.
    >
    > Ken.
    > Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
    > WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Scream wrote:
    > "Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>JLC wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
    >>>working on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got me.
    >>>He mentioned that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering problems,
    >>>but that has been fixed and the game now runs very smooth on the Xbox.
    >>
    >>I had massive stuttering problems, no amount of tweaks or driver fiddling
    >>would help, but then I reinstalled on a slightly faster hard drive and
    >>it's smooth as silk.
    >

    > My guess is you would have been better off wth more RAM. The game was
    > likely paging to disk a lot because of insufficient memory.

    Doubt it, I have 1Gig of PC3200.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Jamie_Manic wrote:
    > JLC wrote:
    >
    >> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
    >> working on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got
    >> me. He mentioned that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering
    >> problems, but that has been fixed and the game now runs very smooth on
    >> the Xbox.
    >

    > I had massive stuttering problems, no amount of tweaks or driver
    > fiddling would help, but then I reinstalled on a slightly faster hard
    > drive and it's smooth as silk.

    I just slammed in another 512MB to bring my total RAM capacity to 1GB.
    Stuttering is now virtually absent.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
    > You forgot liar...

    The fact that HL2 Xbox will have better lighting effects is a well know
    fact. It was covered last month in a long PC Gamer article and it was said
    on the interview that you can go out and buy at your local newsstands right
    now. It's on this months Official Xbox Magazines demo disc #45. There's
    three separate HL2 interviews, one with Gabe himself and a couple of other
    guys on the HL2 to Xbox team. Do a little research before you go calling
    someone a liar/troll. You don't work for Newsweek do you?
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Jordan wrote:
    > Huh, so you have to start Steam on it's own (not HL2, but Steam), when
    > you aren't connected to the Internet and, if you are up to date, it
    > will run without a net connection.
    >
    > Yeah, that's logical to play a game...
    >
    > - Jordan

    You dont have HL2 do you? Each of your three posts have been incorrect.

    --
    It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
    taming in one go.

    Jordan wrote:
    > Actually I just got to the part where I got my suit, the teleport
    > failed, and I'm manually making my way through the tunnels. I haven't
    > put much time into it that's for sure, but the reason for that is the
    > long delays in actually starting the game.
    >
    > It's time that I could be spending on Guild Wars instead. :^)
    >
    > Guild Wars, BTW, is the MMORPG plan that I've been promoting for years.
    > Leave the online play for free and if you want more money then release
    > new content and charge for the content. I'm curious to see if it
    > actually works out. It's the first online game I've played since
    > Phantasy Star Online was free.
    >
    > - Jordan

    In that case you'll enjoy it - damn good game. Have you found how to
    force it offline? Have you found the setting that says do not update?
    Perhaps blocked it in your firewall?

    I'm lucky I guess - have had Broadband in this area for a year or so - I
    just let Steam run.

    Not into MMORPG's. Only want to pay once for my games. Dont you get
    the same kind of delays with starting online MMORPG's as HL2? Just curious.

    Have fun.

    --
    It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
    taming in one go.
    You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
    taming, say, via banking...
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote in message
    > Jordan wrote:
    >
    >> You can't run [Half-life 2] in offline mode.
    >
    > You are mistaken on this point.
    >
    > http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=faq&id=1050915505,27362300,1050915714,91503900

    Well I tried running it recently in Offline Mode and it wouldnt allow it.
    Ive had it my system
    since Novemeber and have all the updates. Thats another pain in the ass - I
    switched off the
    auto update feature for HL2 but eventually Steam will force the auto update
    back on. I was online
    playing DOD the other day and my framerate dropped suddenly - I ALT-TAB out
    and find HL2
    updating. Thats Steam for you and Valve forcing you to use their software as
    they want it.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Sleepy wrote:
    > "Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jordan wrote:
    >>

    >>>You can't run [Half-life 2] in offline mode.
    >>
    >>You are mistaken on this point.
    >>
    >>http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=faq&id=1050915505,27362300,1050915714,91503900
    >

    > Well I tried running it recently in Offline Mode and it wouldnt allow it.
    > Ive had it my system
    > since Novemeber and have all the updates. Thats another pain in the ass - I
    > switched off the
    > auto update feature for HL2 but eventually Steam will force the auto update
    > back on. I was online
    > playing DOD the other day and my framerate dropped suddenly - I ALT-TAB out
    > and find HL2
    > updating. Thats Steam for you and Valve forcing you to use their software as
    > they want it.

    I don't like Steam either, but I have been able to play Half-life 2 in
    offline mode.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 23 May 2005 09:07:03 -0700, "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >You can't run it in offline mode.

    Sounds like the console version is designed for people like you. Take
    your PC back to the shop.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    The Xbox doesn't have Directx 9 shaders, 64Meg of non-dedicated video memory
    and it's vid hardware isn't even the equivalent of a Ti4200 so how COULD the
    Xbox have better graphics than the *AVERAGE* PC? A: it couldn't and it
    doesn't.

    --
    Remove nospam to email

    > "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
    >> You forgot liar...
    >>

    > The fact that HL2 Xbox will have better lighting effects is a well know
    > fact. It was covered last month in a long PC Gamer article and it was said
    > on the interview that you can go out and buy at your local newsstands
    > right now. It's on this months Official Xbox Magazines demo disc #45.
    > There's three separate HL2 interviews, one with Gabe himself and a couple
    > of other guys on the HL2 to Xbox team. Do a little research before you go
    > calling someone a liar/troll. You don't work for Newsweek do you?

  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    The Xbox vid hardware is completely obsolete. They don't even manufacture
    vid-cards with specs that low anymore. Isn't the Xbox vid hardware
    equivalent to the Nvidia MX tech (MX440 or MX400)?

    --
    Remove nospam to email
    "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
    > JLC wrote:
    >
    >> I just watched an interview with one of the guys from Value that is
    >> working on cramping HL2 into the Xbox. One thing he said really got
    >> me. He mentioned that on the PC the game had a lot of stuttering
    >> problems, but that has been fixed and the game now runs very smooth
    >> on the Xbox.
    >
    > I played through most of the Ravenholm level on Xbox HL2 and while it's
    > damn impressive they've been able to port the game to a console, there's
    > no way you'd mistake it for the PC version -- lower resolution, slower
    > framerates (tho I guess that depends on what kind of PC you're used to
    > playing it on) etc. But near as I could tell the level was identical in
    > layout, enemies, etc. to the PC version. Maybe by stuttering he means that
    > weird mini-freeze thing that would happen during loading screens on a lot
    > of people's PCs.
    >
    > -Z-

  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    In article <vfWdnWr8w7JwEw_fRVn-iw@comcast.com>, JLC <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:
    #"Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
    #news:rFoke.2904$NL1.73@fe02.lga...
    #> You forgot liar...

    #The fact that HL2 Xbox will have better lighting effects is a well know
    #fact. It was covered last month in a long PC Gamer article and it was said
    #on the interview that you can go out and buy at your local newsstands right
    #now. It's on this months Official Xbox Magazines demo disc #45. There's
    #three separate HL2 interviews, one with Gabe himself and a couple of other
    #guys on the HL2 to Xbox team. Do a little research before you go calling
    #someone a liar/troll. You don't work for Newsweek do you?

    A quote like "Lighting looks better than PC HL2 with an MX420 or Radeon
    7000" I might believe. That just means they went back and put more work
    into the low-end graphics.

    "Looks better than a PC with a 9800Pro or better" would mean that they
    really broke the PC version's ability to use DX9 features... which they
    didn't. You simply WON'T get some of the effects available on a PC,
    because you have neither the graphics hardware nor the CPU horsepower to
    do them.

    Failure to qualify just what "better" means is a common problem with
    both marketeers and the media. Non-critical reading of previews and
    marketeering is only a problem with fanbois and idiots.

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thusly "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net> Spake Unto All:

    >The Xbox vid hardware is completely obsolete. They don't even manufacture
    >vid-cards with specs that low anymore. Isn't the Xbox vid hardware
    >equivalent to the Nvidia MX tech (MX440 or MX400)?

    Slightly better than that, feature-wise anyway: a Geforce3MX (there's
    no such card for PC, but it is a memory-bandwidth crippled Geforce3,
    ie what nVidia call 'MX').
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes

    Chadwick wrote:

    > IIRC correctly, you didn't call him fat.

    i didn't have too... i showed its picture and i never saw such
    a shock wave in this group before
    i guess the pro steam fanatics were so disappointed cause they
    expected their master as probably a brat pitt type and what
    they saw was a horrendous mass of fat

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    steamKILLER wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > Chadwick wrote:
    >
    > > IIRC correctly, you didn't call him fat.
    >
    > i didn't have too... i showed its picture and i never saw such
    > a shock wave in this group before
    > i guess the pro steam fanatics were so disappointed cause they
    > expected their master as probably a brat pitt type and what
    > they saw was a horrendous mass of fat

    No, the issue was that you called him a Nazi.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    No, I don't have any other delays and I'm on a broadband pipe so there
    really shouldn't be any delay with Half Life 2 either which is why I
    blame Steam. :^) I'll pull the network plug this week-end, set it for
    offline and see if that improves things.

    - JOrdan
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    kmarsh@fellspt.charm.net (Ken Marsh) thought that a good way to
    threaten somebody was to light a stick of dynamite, then call the
    guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone and say:

    > Troll? Imposter? Parody? The Direct-X 7-ish qualities of the Xbox
    > are well known.

    DirectX 8.1 actually.

    --
    Ajay Tanwar | MCSE | ajtanwar@spam.yahoo.com
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people

    After 6 beers, everything looks better to me. The world, my wife, computer
    graphics....

    > The Xbox doesn't have Directx 9 shaders, 64Meg of non-dedicated video
    memory
    > and it's vid hardware isn't even the equivalent of a Ti4200 so how COULD
    the
    > Xbox have better graphics than the *AVERAGE* PC? A: it couldn't and it
    > doesn't.
    >
    > --
    > Remove nospam to email
    > "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
    > >> You forgot liar...
    > >>

    > > The fact that HL2 Xbox will have better lighting effects is a well know
    > > fact. It was covered last month in a long PC Gamer article and it was
    said
    > > on the interview that you can go out and buy at your local newsstands
    > > right now. It's on this months Official Xbox Magazines demo disc #45.
    > > There's three separate HL2 interviews, one with Gabe himself and a
    couple
    > > of other guys on the HL2 to Xbox team. Do a little research before you
    go
    > > calling someone a liar/troll. You don't work for Newsweek do you?

  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes

    Chadwick wrote:

    <snip>

    valve is a dictator
    they are a ruthless monopolistic greedy TIRANICAL DICTATOR
    there is no question about it...
    now... what kind of past dictator you want to compare with
    is not that relevant...
    the graphic artist we are talking about choose the nazis but
    its just a choice like we could pick another
    basically he wanted to show graphically valve being a dictator
    and he as succeeded
    that's really what matters

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:55:47 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

    >After 6 beers, everything looks better to me. The world, my wife, computer
    >graphics....

    only 6 beers!?...

    toadie

Console Gaming Interview Games Xbox Video Games