Sign in with
Your question

Computer boots then turns off in seconds?

Last response: in Systems
April 22, 2012 10:03:21 PM

OK so my computer has been built for a while now but I've just put a new fan in and now it won't turn on properly. I start it up and the lights and fans come on but within seconds the entire system powers down. I can press the MemOK! button next to the RAM which then takes me to the BIOS and lets me boot it from there by clicking on the hard drive in the ASUS UEFI BIOS but will not boot properly from pressing the power button. I noticed that in the BIOS one of my fans rpm is lit red but is only at 600rpm, please help :( 

Many thanks
James

Edit: If it helps the AI Suite II which shows the voltage, temps and rpm of fans is no longer showing my the temperature of anything but the CPU and one part of the motherboard, any help is appreciated.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2012 10:08:40 PM

Which new fan did you put in and where did you put it? Make sure the wright fan in plugged into the cpu fan header. And find out which fan is giving you the red light/low rpm by switching around the fan headers or being able to read the fan header number on the motherboard and switching out that fan or just unplugging it - unless it's the cpu fan.
April 22, 2012 10:11:30 PM

All the fans are in the right place, I put an Akasa Viper 140mm in and the one giving me the problem is an NZXT 140mm that came with my case which I've put it in the drive bays now because my radiator gets in the way of the other 140mm fan slot. Is there any reason why this is making my temperatures not appear in ASUS AI Suite?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2012 10:25:24 PM

Did you switch the NZXT 140mm plug into a different header? Is there something physically slowing down the fan, like lack of airflow or something?

During startup go into bios and check the fan speeds and temps there. Don't want to be a hater but AI suite is usually crap.

Try Speedfan - http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php: or my favorite CPUID - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html : and see what results you get with those.

Or if you're stuck on AI try uninstalling and reinstalling it, maybe it will pick up on the hardware change better.
April 22, 2012 10:37:08 PM

Yes I switched the headers round on most of my fans as they were in the fan controllers on my case and I plugged them all into the motherboard to monitor them on some of the Asus software. Alright well I'll switch the fans to different headers tomorrow as it's getting quite late here and i'll re-install the software, thanks for all your help and I'll update you on my situation after I've done it, thanks again.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2012 10:40:26 PM

Sorry - forgot to mention that if your using a fan controller it might be going out on you. I hear from many sources that they just go bad and there's only a few out there that are solidly reliable. So try pulling it/them out of the loop, at least for that one fan. And the other stuff of course.
April 22, 2012 10:43:54 PM

Yea I heard that which is why none of them are in the controller now, they are all straight into the motherboard :) 
April 24, 2012 12:43:36 PM

All works great now and AI Suite II works, thanks for all your help! Just a quick question though; how do I get all my fans to run at 100% all the time?

Edit: Should I update to the new BIOS if there is one available?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 24, 2012 5:18:51 PM

So, reinstall of AI suite did the trick? If there isn't a setting in AI suite then when you're in bios you can turn off temp control there.

If your system is working fine then I wouldn't update bios. Save that for when you need whatever the update addresses or the ones you're using get corrupted.
April 24, 2012 5:41:53 PM

Thank you, yes the re-install corrected the temps but one of the fan speeds turns a yellow colour sometimes, do you know if this has any significance?
!