Sign in with
Your question

Does running Windows Media Player enhance performance?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 14, 2012 3:23:15 PM

A buddy of mine told me to have media player open in the background while I play. The reason being is that it will load and keep the necessary driver files in ram.

I have 8 gigs of ram and a 23in monitor, so I do not know if it will make a difference or not or how that really works. I know there is a chunk of ram that is reserverd I think for talking to the OS and asking for the files, but not sure what files are stored on it.

February 14, 2012 3:45:23 PM

Load of BS tbh.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2012 3:46:08 PM

Hello,

AFAIK opening up Windows Media Player while playing games will actually hinder performance, as it will take CPU cycles and RAM to keep the program open.

Windows Media player has nothing to do with driver's or ram (besides taking up ram when it's on). Driver's are handled by your operating system.

If anything, something like Gamebooster would do the job (it closes unnecessary services and programs when you want to play a game), however you could do these changes yourself, but gamebooster puts it in 1 nice little spot.

Hope this helps.
m
l
Related resources
February 14, 2012 3:56:37 PM

Thanks. Is there a good site to go to see what programs to close out? Gamebooster sounds nice I just want to make sure it doesnt close anything I need running.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2012 4:08:37 PM

With gamebooster you can select what does and does not run. It will also revert back the changes once your done (with the click of a button).

I've tried it out before, and it works well. Didn't make my system unstable.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2012 5:10:02 PM

If you really want to get into the nitty gritty of the tweaks go here:

http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/index.html

(if you scroll to the bottom it gives you 16 pages of information.)

I also reccomend this website, has very good information:

http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windo...

This is for windows 7 - since you did not list what operating system you have.

Game booster does a lot of those already in the tweak guide, but not all of them.
m
l
!